Sennheiser 600 vs 650

leofar2

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
Alright guys so i am looking at these to headphones and i cant decide! I want a accurate headphone so i was leaning toward the 600 but the 650 are the same price in my country. I am wondering if the base is to much in the 650 or are they still a accurate headphone? Another option is the AKG k712. Please give me youre suggestions!

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi there!

Years ago, when the hd650 still was sennheisers top headphone I compared the hd600 to the hd650. From memory the HD600 is somewhat leaner in presentation because is has less bass. But also the hd650 is a trifle better in resolving details. From what I remember the 650 had a "blacker background" (trifle less distortion I think) and slightly more realistic display of instruments (wood sounding like wood and brass metallic).

That slight advantage combined with a stronger bass for pop made that I choose the 650.
Whichever one you choose, remember that these headphones really need good amplification. You will hear everything. If the amp is not strong enough they sound bland, boring. If the quality of tge amp or source replay is not good enough it'll sound like a cheesgrater in your ears.

However if you get things right they are heavenly and addictive. Listened to them for many hours on end, iften forgetting time. It's as if your completely enveloped by the music, as if you are there and there's nothing in between.
Even after years I still rate them highly.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Superaintit said:
Hi there!

Years ago, when the hd650 still was sennheisers top headphone I compared the hd600 to the hd650. From memory the HD600 is somewhat leaner in presentation because is has less bass. But also the hd650 is a trifle better in resolving details. From what I remember the 650 had a "blacker background" (trifle less distortion I think) and slightly more realistic display of instruments (wood sounding like wood and brass metallic).

That slight advantage combined with a stronger bass for pop made that I choose the 650. Whichever one you choose, remember that these headphones really need good amplification. You will hear everything. If the amp is not strong enough they sound bland, boring. If the quality of tge amp or source replay is not good enough it'll sound like a cheesgrater in your ears.

However if you get things right they are heavenly and addictive. Listened to them for many hours on end, iften forgetting time. It's as if your completely enveloped by the music, as if you are there and there's nothing in between. Even after years I still rate them highly.

Pretty much my experience. Overall I just enjoyed the 650s more and their bass. They do

like decent amplification because they sound very dark and muffled plugged into my iPod or phone. I can't recall how they sounded using my DAP which supposedly can drive more demanding cans.

It's all pretty personal, so you really need to hear for yourself. Luckily I got to listen to the headphones with the amp that I planned to use them with, and then bought a pair 2nd hand.

leofar2

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
Superaintit said:
Hi there!

That slight advantage combined with a stronger bass for pop made that I choose the 650. Whichever one you choose, remember that these headphones really need good amplification. You will hear everything. If the amp is not strong enough they sound bland, boring. If the quality of tge amp or source replay is not good enough it'll sound like a cheesgrater in your ears.

However if you get things right they are heavenly and addictive. Listened to them for many hours on end, iften forgetting time. It's as if your completely enveloped by the music, as if you are there and there's nothing in between. Even after years I still rate them highly.

Do you think the bass is owerpowering? And also do you have any tips on a good amp?

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
The bass is not overpowering. It's more like it gives the sound a solidity.

In recent years there have been quite a few headphones that have overpowering bass, but the hd650 are not of those kind. They're sound signature is more like neutral with a solidity in the sound.

About the amp: I have a Musical fidelity Xcan v3 myself. The v8 was better in dynamics and therefor leaner sounding. Since then there are more headphone amps to the market and also ones with a dac inside. Best is to start with the headphone and then listen which combination of headphone and amp sounds best to year ears.

leofar2

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
Superaintit said:
The bass is not overpowering. It's more like it gives the sound a solidity.

In recent years there have been quite a few headphones that have overpowering bass, but the hd650 are not of those kind. They're sound signature is more like neutral with a solidity in the sound.

About the amp: I have a Musical fidelity Xcan v3 myself. The v8 was better in dynamics and therefor leaner sounding. Since then there are more headphone amps to the market and also ones with a dac inside. Best is to start with the headphone and then listen which combination of headphone and amp sounds best to year ears.

Alright thanks man. I will probably go for the 600. But i am not sure if they will be so flat they are boring with pop and hip hop. But listen to allot of classic aswell!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I've never heard either unfortunately but there is some concensus in certain places that the 600 is more accurate.

As usual, Dale is probably your man.

Much depends on your partnering equipment and preferences.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
I've never heard either unfortunately but there is some concensus in certain places that the 600 is more accurate.

As usual, Dale is probably your man.

Much depends on your partnering equipment and preferences.

I've had both. The 650 is far more popular, but the 600 is more 'neutral' like the HD800. How they perform will depend on your amp. Both have large impedance spikes around 100 hz, so more power is needed to maintain proper bass.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just compared GoldenEars frequency plots of the HD600 and PX100ii ... very similar (as is the 650) :)

More so than the 598 or some other Sennheisers ... Urbanite ... Momentum etc.

I am sure this bears little resemblance in use but still, interesting :)

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Interesting to see that Goldenears' reviewer finds the bass to be neutral but the treble soft. In the chart you can see a roll off of the treble too.

http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&search_target=title&search_keyword=Hd650&document_srl=11616

Ashley James

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I agree with Superaintit and I love the HD650s and would never part with them although I have HD800s as a reference.

I don't think you'll every be unhappy with HD650s as long as you remember that Sennheiser are about the best, that they make some of the best microphones too and that recordings vary a lot, so not all will sound right, even on the best headphones.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Funny, I tried both and returned both. Just couldn't take to either of them and much preferred the Shure SRH1540. The Senns have a cult following though so they must be doing something right.

Ashley James

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Paulq said:
Funny, I tried both and returned both. Just couldn't take to either of them and much preferred the Shure SRH1540. The Senns have a cult following though so they must be doing something right.

Sennheiser were one of the first to make professional headphones and they've been the industry standard for many years because they are very accurate. They also make the best microphones, they own Neumann and Klein and Hummell too.

But Shure is an excellent company too.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
...but both the HD600 and HD650 use the exact same driver units (part #091570 on the Sennheiser spares website), so any sonic differences between them will be due to everything else. This means two things:

1) there is still an opportunity for them to sound markedly different because there's more to headphones than just the driver units, but equally..,

2) with the same driver units, there's a limit to how different they can possibly sound from each other.

Perhaps this allows you to put some perspective on the decision.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
...but both the HD600 and HD650 use the exact same driver units (part #091570 on the Sennheiser spares website), so any sonic differences between them will be due to everything else. This means two things:

1) there is still an opportunity for them to sound markedly different because there's more to headphones than just the driver units, but equally..,

2) with the same driver units, there's a limit to how different they can possibly sound from each other.

Imho the kind of Ear cushions used have more influence on the end result than the drivers, many of which are very similar.

Anyone ever having played with different cushion materials and/or shapes will probably be able to confirm this.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
MajorFubar said:

Imho the kind of Ear cushions used have more influence on the end result than the drivers, many of which are very similar.

Anyone ever having played with different cushion materials and/or shapes will probably be able to confirm this.

Yes, earpads usually make a huge difference. Much more than anything else.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
dalethorn said:
drummerman said:
MajorFubar said:

Yes, earpads usually make a huge difference. Much more than anything else.

Which in turn underlines just how important the room is for speaker based systems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts