Selling on Ebay.

Callum J

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
After buying a Marantz MCR610, and a pair of Dalis on the way, i need to sell off my old hifi gear to avoid cluttering up the house.

I wonder do any forum members have experience of selling gear on Ebay, and are there pitfalls to avoid, especially as many hifi items could be damaged by rough handling etc. Is there comeback to the seller if stuff was damaged or went missing? Are there other common problems that tend to crop up?

Any help or tips would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance....Callum.

Selling on eBay should not be a problem. It is up to you to package your gear correctly and if you do then damage is unlikely.

If you are particularly worried about this then sell with collect-in-person as a clause, although this will reduce the numbers of potential buyers.

Make sure you post with a tracking number and it's unlikely to go missing.

And a tip:- Make sure you note the serial number of the kit you are selling before you dispatch and try to make sure it is visible in one of thye photos you put on eBay.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Selling on eBay does have it's risk, but as long as you pack your gear well, there shouldn't be problems with things getting damaged.

I use this website for posting items, and you can insure your items should you wish, though that will obviously add cost. Give the buyer the option of insured and uninsured delivery.

http://www.parcel2go.com/?gclid=CKHJjNP55rgCFSGWtAodiT0AGw

There are other options to selling on eBay, try AVForums; you'll probably get less money, but you won't have to pay the eBay fees (10%) and Paypal fees (5%), so it might be better.

http://www.avforums.com/

T

the record spot

Have to say I insist on insurance. Usually works out a tenner or so more expensive but it's piece of mind. If the item goes missing you're still liable and the buyer can get their money back. Insure in full and you're both protected financially.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Apart from all what has been said above i tend not to use eBAY as a result of the high after sales fee if you place a sales limit on price you are willing to sell. Unless you list your item without placing a limit you pay alot to list your item. If you are in the uk you could try Gumtrees. I have used this now for 4 years now and no problems.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
When you sell stuff get a postage quote from the Parcel Force website first, then you know how much to charge. Always include insurance and make sure the buyer have to sign for it. Signing for it increases the chance that it will arrive on time and in good condition, plus you know it has been received.

Also remember that eBay take 10% of the final value fee. Paypal take another cut (5%?). So when you think you are earning £X remind yourself that eBay will be along later to take their share.

I find that as a seller on eBay I almost always feel like I am losing out.

Having said that it is far better and far safer than the other alternatives.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Most has been said ready.

Use a reputable courier such as Parcelforce but book it through Parcels2go or P4D or Parcelmonkey or interparcel to keep the cost down. Keep a note of the serial numbers of the items you sell and also take good pictures of them before sending. Only post to a confirmed address on Paypal, only accept cash if someone collects. Use enough packaging that if you were to drop it for 1M it would survive intact and finally it's more hassle than it's worth to ship overseas. Fees are £0.40 insertion, 10% final value fee (for the item and postage) and 3.5% Paypal. If you want a specific amount for you item just put it on a 'Buy it Now' as the fees are the same, you can always add a best offer option too.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I shipped a hd-dvd player to Germany & an old Sony PDA. Only use PayPal and get realistic postage costs.. Even local Gumtree gets views from a fair radius. Sold a car and AV speakers. Guess u wont get a great price usually.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Personally I have sold loads of hi-fi related stuff on Ebay over the years, with (touch wood) no problems.

As regards delivery I can only echo what has been said already, but would recommend the Interparcel/UPS Economy service. Excellent service, next day delivery, fully tracked, additional insurance an option, and competitive rates. If you have one nearby you can also drop the package off at several UPS drop-off premises (normally small stores) which will save you an extra £2 for each package, rather than having to wait in for collection..

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I've bought and sold on e-bay no problems. The biggest things I've sent are a tuner and some computer speakers. When I sold my tuner e-bay had a deal going with parcel force if I remember correctly it was a fixed price no matter what size the package, and it worked out a lot cheaper than sending via Parcel force through the post office or any of the sites mentioned. Looks like they are still doing this http://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/ebay-postage-discounts

swiftmick

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
Sellling on ebay has become a pain. ebay fee's possible paypal fee's if the buyer pay's this way. Also. new rules state if the item is not as described. The buyer gets a full refund even if you have described it correctly. ebay wont listen to any proof you may have. This policy now opens up problem buyers who might just have changed their minds. Or even worse. Damaged your item on purpose just to get money knocked off the original auction price. Also if your item is not packaged in its original box, Couriers are reluctant to pay out for any damaged caused in transit if they pay at all. that includes the big companys. Another change from the old days, the seller is unable to leave any negative feedback. Hardly fair when two party's are involved in a transaction. Which is a little strange as ebay make money out of the seller?

Tread careful, its not as easy these days

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Even with the big discounts that Ebay offer on Parcelforce rates, they are still considerably more expensive than Interparcel Economy via UPS, and I would definitely prefer UPS to Parcelforce any day of the week.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Generally there are no problems but stay away from Hermes and associated couriers. Twice I had damage when receiving goods (They even managed to severly damage a cyrus PSX-R). Better to pay a bit more and go with Parcelforce/UPS etc where there probably is more of policy of 'good practice', at least I like to think so. - Insurance is also a good idea for anything thats worth a little bit of money and most buyers would pay a little extra to ensure the peace of mind.

Hermes and others of the ilk use freelance agents and after my experience with them I wouldn't use them.

regards

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Generally speaking I have found the buyers and sellers of hi fi gear to be very honest and reasonable in their approach to selling on eBay. I have only had one slightly dodgy experience when I ended up with a roksan kandy with a lot of buzzing in the speakers...had to sell that on at a loss. Apart from that very good experiences.

will

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Generally speaking I have found the buyers and sellers of hi fi gear to be very honest and reasonable in their approach to selling on eBay. I have only had one slightly dodgy experience when I ended up with a roksan kandy with a lot of buzzing in the speakers...had to sell that on at a loss. Apart from that very good experiences.

will

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site

will

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Sold quite a few bits. To cover yourself I would advise taking as many pictures as possible including whilst you're packing it up just in case you get a buyer who tries it on or a careless courier. I also use my phone to make a short video proving it works.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts