Selection of audio components

peter le grand

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
I am slowly getting progress on the component selection. Today I go back to a local shop that fortunately has renovation and thus good discounts on all their show components. I will have first a look at the speakers (they have for example Tannoy, Klipsch, Elac,...). Probably floor standing as the the space is big.
The budget for the whole thing is around 2000 Eur. I expect the speakers to be between 700 and 1000. So have around 1300 to 1000 left. But the rest, I don't know yet how to go with it. For sure an amp. But should it include a DAC or should that go separate? Should I have a streamer (with dac) or use that from my PC? Any suggestions? Btw, I am living in Asia, so choices are different here.
Peter

Welcome to the forum.
Perhaps you could explain exactly what your music source is now and what you are likely to use in the future. I take it a computer or laptop is your only current source.
Take advice from your local dealer as we have no idea what you have access to or can audition.
A good and knowledgeable dealer is a useful friend.

peter le grand

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Probably, I will use streaming from Spotify or Tidal. As the dealers are not that big here, I probably have to go and first shop for a dealer. Also, I can imagine that not all components will come from the same dealer for the same reason. For example most dealers don't have separate dacs or what they have are very expensive. There are online shops where they would have reasonable priced dacs. As I live outside the US and Europe, Amazon and other online stores are not an option. Anyway, I want to listen before I buy.
My current idea for the setup is to go for a separate DAC of around 200 Euro and the rest of the budget for an amp. Also considering to get an amp with dac. Then still use my pc as a streamer. What do you think?

One more question, with a setup with a budget of 2000 eur, is the better audio quality of tidal relevant?
Better audio quality is relevant whatever the budget......
I'm no expert when it comes to computer based audio but I would certainly look for a separate DAC as these devices seem to be progressing rapidly in their development and buying an amp a built-in DAC will really hinder your future upgrade potential.
There are very good cheap DACs available these days so I think your idea to get an amplifier that is purely an amplifier is sound.
If you have funds in the future you could then add a separate streamer to your system.
Perhaps something like the Arylic S10 that is strongly recommended by some on this forum or the more expensive S50

rainsoothe

I am slowly getting progress on the component selection. Today I go back to a local shop that fortunately has renovation and thus good discounts on all their show components. I will have first a look at the speakers (they have for example Tannoy, Klipsch, Elac,...). Probably floor standing as the the space is big.
The budget for the whole thing is around 2000 Eur. I expect the speakers to be between 700 and 1000. So have around 1300 to 1000 left. But the rest, I don't know yet how to go with it. For sure an amp. But should it include a DAC or should that go separate? Should I have a streamer (with dac) or use that from my PC? Any suggestions? Btw, I am living in Asia, so choices are different here.
Peter
Hi. How big of a room are we talking about? And is the system for the entire room or just a part of it? (square meters pls :) )

peter le grand

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Got I hope a good deal. Got a show model of the tannoy precision 6.2 for half price because there was a very little scratch on it. So, that will be my starting point.
Now looking at amp. thinking about:
- Audiolabs 6000a
- Marantz PM7000N
- Cambridge Audio CXA60
- Just want to have a look at M-ONE

Any suggestions?

peter le grand

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Plans have changed. They guy doesn't have the marantz in stock (and I can't find it anywhere else either). So talked to another company. This company has 3 amps. Quad Vena II play, and audiolabs 6000a and M-one. and he really has them in his showroom. So, will update you on this after listening.

Reactions: rainsoothe

peter le grand

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Is your room really 7m high?
Indeed, it is very high. The house is a rather large house in the mountains. Actually, the shape of the room is rather strange. The living room is on the second floor right under the roof. Thus walls of about 3 meter high + the space under the roof. Further, it is also rather deep as behind the living room you look down into the kitchen dining. So the kitchen dining till the roof is about 10 meters.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts