Second hand amplifiers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all.

My name is Paulo and i'm from Portugal.

I'm planning to start a new system and I believe the best way to start is with a nice amplifier.

Been wandering around this forum, trying to get some ideas, but maybe it's best if I share with you what I'm looking for and what I already have.

From what i consider to be a good starting point of an hi-fi system, I already find a nice Thorens TD 160 turntable, to which i bought an Audio Technica AT110E cartridge.

At the moment I have a Technics amp and a Sony CD and Minidisc player, which migrate from my old system. Also have a pair of Studiocraft speakers.

I've been checking second hand dealers and also ebay, but i'm a bit lost with all the offer we can find on nice "old" amps.

I'm more inclined for a NAD amp (since my father owns a NAD 7030 with Rogers LS2), and I really like the NAD sound, but I've also been checking Marantz, Cambridge Audio and Rotel.

And this is where I need your help. I'm trying to find a nice amp (to get me started) around 170 pounds (140 euros).

My main goal is vinil, and I like all sorts of music, from classical, to electronica and hard rock. I don't expect to have great delivery throughout all range, but hopefully a good average.

I don't intend to rock the house (my neighbours would be pissed), so power it's not the main goal. I want good clear treble and controlled bass.

Maybe what I want is impossible, but if anyone can help me it's you guys.

I checked NAD 3020 which i heard it's very nice and can be found as bargains, but I'm also open to other ideas.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Any help is appreciated.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Both Marantz and Denon have decent phono stages in their amplifiers. Can't comment about NAD but I'd certainly wouldn't buy anything as old as a 3020.

matthewpiano

The Denon suggestions are excellent. The PMA250SE and 355UK are both excellent amps and, to my mind, often better buys than the Marantz and NAD units of similar age.

The other amp which I think is quite stunning and often overlooked is the Kenwood KA3020SE. One of the best affordable amps I've ever heard and I still have one kept to one side.

T

the record spot

If funds are tight, the Sansui AU-217 is a corker. Usually less than £50, even in top condition, it's a 30wpc amp, the mark 2 version being 40wpc and either will handsomely perform way above expectation. Superb. The rest of the Sansui n17 series likewise. I think there's an AU-417 on Ebay just now, worth checking out at less than £70 BIN.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for all the replies, and I'm sure going to check on those Marantz, Denon and NAD options you gave me.

I also have the possibility of getting a NAD 3020 for 55 pounds, which I consider a good price. I know it is an old amp, but in the end, second hand amps at those prices are all kind of old.

Not sure if it's a mistake, the way I see it, but I'm a bit lost in here.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

A

Anonymous

rochamarques:
Thank you for all the replies, and I'm sure going to check on those Marantz, Denon and NAD options you gave me.

I also have the possibility of getting a NAD 3020 for 55 pounds, which I consider a good price. I know it is an old amp, but in the end, second hand amps at those prices are all kind of old.

Not sure if it's a mistake, the way I see it, but I'm a bit lost in here.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Personally I think you would do better with a newer NAD model as mentioned above, for only a little more and they have good phono stages which should be your priority (as do Rotel) but not all amps have them at all (even second hand ones) so be sure and check this !!

The NAD amps are very good and robust with the kind of sound you describe, although I think your Dads system is complimented by a fine pair of speakers which should be kept in mind when buying any amp of course...enjoy the searching and auditioning if at all possible...it's all part of the journey to a happy hi-fi enthusiast !!

A

Anonymous

You're right. My dad's speakers are really amazing and I love the combo, but I'm looking for a sound with more "body", that means with more presence of bass.
This is a road I'm willing to take, definitelly, but I need to start somewhere and preferably, not from the top. I believe that we tend to praise more what we have and can acheive, if we start from bottom to top. That way we can feel the tiny differences better equipments make in a system.

It's like you say Ricardo, it's a journey
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts