Save money, build your own speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
a +3db hump at 3kHz?!
Hand that man a free beer! That's why I went linkwitz/riley with an l-pad of -3db at the crossover point.

So how are they sounding? Only played them for about 5 hours, and the bass, which, for the size, is pretty good, still has to flesh out. Midrange is still settling - it was a bit hard at the start, but is now a lot pleasanter and fuller. Treble is still a bit hot, might have to increase the attenuation there.

The biggest change, after I'd played them for a couple of hours to check everything, was whan I tightened all the screws and finished the sealing. Suddenly I had a nice pair of speakers, revealing but not fatiguing, with bass definitely up there and sounding pretty sweet. What amazes me is the imaging. These things disappear in a way I wasn't expecting, in some ways more strikingly that the maggies.

They're a bit like slightly unrefined Harbeths at the moment, probably as I'd imagine the LS3/5a monitors sound. Given the cost, at around the £450 mark, they're pretty good, and should get better.

piccies tomorrow sometime

A

Anonymous

Good for you Mr Lemon. I can only imagine, but there must be a special satisfaction to taking the time and effort to build something like those. Perhaps for your next project you could try some active crossovers. AFAIK you can buy some that are configurable from a computer, so very easy to tweak and change to taste (and experiment). You could even make them external for a simpler project.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Treble is still a bit hot, might have to increase the attenuation there.

Sounds like you need the - originally specified - Tygan cloth on your grilles :)

(And the squares of foam strip around the tweeters.)

Some more funky Tygan samples...

new_pa6.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
altruistic.lemon said:

Sounds like you need the - originally specified - Tygan cloth on your grilles :)

new_pa6.jpg

If you get a little extra cloth, you could have a nice "Deerstalker" hat to match.....we could yet turn you into a "British Lemon" ;) .

CnoEvil said:
chebby said:
altruistic.lemon said:

new_pa6.jpg

If you get a little extra cloth, you could have a nice "Deerstalker" hat to match.....we could yet turn you into a "British Lemon" ;) .

Elementary, my dear Cno.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts