Satelite vs co-axial cable

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Like many houses in the country, we have traditional TV areial and co-axial cable embedded in the building fabric. I don't really want to havbe to run new cable to connect satelite to a freesat box. Is it possible to use the existing co-ax cable and simply replace the connector or have I got to just bite the bullet?!

Any help and advice appreciated

SatCure

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I assume you mean "to connect the LNB to a Freesat receiver"?ÿ

Try it and see! Then when you've convinced yourself that using cable designed for frequencies up to 950MHz to carry frequencies up to 2025MHz wasn't such a good idea, go and buy the proper double-screened stuff. WF100 recommended. Available in 6 colours.

Words for your vocab:ÿsatellite,ÿaerial.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Hi Yeti,

Depends how old your building is, as to what quality of cable would have been used. In communal set ups they usually use better spec' cable than on single property installs.

Short of trying it, or gaining access to enough cable to make a visible inspection of it for manufacturer markings etc it is difficult to advise.

On the subject of advice - it is widely acceptable to use any spelling in e-mail / forum content so long as it is phonetically or 'foneticaly' pronounceable (see what i did there) so don't worry about spelling. If people like to correct then they will be very busy on this site as most just want to help and are not bothered with correct 'vocab'.

Regards Si.

A

Anonymous

Yes, it is.

Of course, I hope you would agree that it is content rather than spelling correctness that's most important ?

I only have a reasonable education as most and did not read English at Queens University Cambridge, so please forgive if I do have this wrong.

Plus the spell check on here does not work for me - asks to go to a download site then nothing happens. If anyone could advise then much appreciated.

Regards.

SatCure

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
yeti:Any help and advice appreciated

I do my best to give useful help and advice. Providing the correct spelling allows people to search for the terms more effectively*. Many people are ignorant of the correct spelling of technical terms which they are not using daily. That's understandable but there's no sense in ignoring the mistakes. It's like ignoring the bogey on a friend's nose. You might be reluctant to embarrass him now but it will only make the embarrassment worse in the future. A real friend points out the bogey immediately before he unwittingly parades it in front of a camera, which will remember it forever.

*For example, try searching Google for "line of site" (a common mistake) instead of "line of sight" and see how useless the results are. I really don't think it's helpful to suggest that it's OK to write words incorrectly. It may sometimes have to be tolerated if a person has a serious problem like dyslexia but it is never "OK". The O.P. is clearly intelligent and misspelt the words simply because he's not familiar with them. In such a case it's absolutely right to provide the correct words.

These days I think "Political Correctness" has made everyone completely crazy. When I went to school my history teacher didn't ignore a spelling mistake just because it might embarrass me and because "it doesn't matter anyway because this isn't an English lesson". No, he rapped my knuckles with a cane and paraded me in front of the class to write it correctly on the blackboard. The method worked - the whole class learned the word - and we didn't grow up emotionally or physically scarred either. We grew into adults who could communicate effectively.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS