Sansui AU-217 II 8 ohm amp with 6 ohm Moniter BR2 Speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi
I am currently building up a Hifi, for christmas a got a pair of Monitor BR2 speakers. At the moment I am looking for an amp, I have found a Sansui AU-217 II for sale (I have seen others but this seems to be very highly rated in other threads) but it says on the back to use 8 ohm speakers and the br2s are only 6 ohms. Is it a good idea to use these together? could it damage either the amp or speakers? I am no expert so a simple answer would be much appreciated. Also does the AU-217 II have a built in preamp so I can use my turntable without having to buy a seperate preamp?

by the way the other amps I had seen were:
- Technics SU-V3
- DENON PMA-255
are these good in comparison to the AU-217 II, do they have a preamp?

thanks for any help in advance, tom

T

the record spot

The 217 is indeed a fine amp, a 40 watter and a good way to enter the Sansui range of the day. It does have a decent phono stage onboard as will the Technics. I'm not sure about the 255 however and if this came out after companies started building their amps without phono stages. (Have a look at either the Denon archive if they have one on their site, or the Hi Fi Engine site which might have the manual you can download for free).

As to how it would impact with you speakers, I'm not 100% sure - I think it would be fine but no doubt more knowledgeable heads will confirm this.

stephen_matthews_uk

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi I'm old enough to have sold many of these fine amps first time around and I wouldn't worry about the 6ohm impedance it's only nominal anyway and the Sansui drove any budget to mid-fi speaker we threw at it, good luck, sounds like a fun system brewing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts