Sand for stands

Tristy

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I'm looking to fill my stands with sand etc. I aw b&q selling kiln dry sand, but they don't have any in stock online or in

My local store. I was thinking of buying normal builder sand and drying it out but that's quite a faff. I've looked at wickes online and they only sell building sand.

So I need help to buy sand or something to put in the stands and that's not too expensive!

Thanks

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't bother with sand - far too much faffing. For about £25 (I think) you can buy a tub of Atacama Atabites. I managed to boost my Custom Designs from a weedy 1.5kg to about 7kg I think. Once you fill up with what looks like little iron filings they all 'lock' together, which is like filling your stands with concrete. Excellent, get some

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Not going against the Atabites but I bought a 15kg bag of play sand from Argos for £2-99.Okay, I had to dry it out but it wasn't too big a deal (although you might think so if I told you the method I had to use!) Best guess is that it took around 10kg to fill my 4-column Apollo stands and solid as a rock.

Not going against the Atabites but I bought a 15kg bag of play sand from Argos for £2-99.

Okay, I had to dry it out but it wasn't too big a deal (although you might think so if I told you the method I had to use!) Best guess is that it took around 10kg to fill my 4-column Apollo stands and solid as a rock.

mykspence

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
HDNumpty said:
I wouldn't bother with sand - far too much faffing. For about £25 (I think) you can buy a tub of Atacama Atabites. I managed to boost my Custom Designs from a weedy 1.5kg to about 7kg I think. Once you fill up with what looks like little iron filings they all 'lock' together, which is like filling your stands with concrete. Excellent, get some

FS104? How did the sound change?

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
There wasn't a 'night-and-day' change in sound - the main purpose was to stop little fingers pulling over the top-heavy stands and wrecking my CM1s. It worked, they are much more stable.

mykspence

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I did mine with sand, much cheaper than the atabite type offerings and as they quote 1 litre of atabites as being 1.7kg and sand is 1.8kg a litre, it's a bit of a no brainer imo.

"To complete this form, please complete the word verification below." I'd rather not thank you very much, shitty bloody thing!

A

Anonymous

i have tried sand and it added a slight weight to my stands and a nice cheap solution, i then dug out my atabites that were hidden away in my shed, filled the stands and they are about 3 times heavier than the sand filled option, my stands are rock solid now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts