Samsung TV flickers at 1080p24 - known issue?

gt55

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I recently bought a second-hand Samsung 40" LCD LE40M87 (...or it might be the M86). I've been using it with Virgin HD service and very happy with its performance so far, until I got a Blu-Ray player to go with it (Sony BDP-S480). The picture quality is great - but I noticed a flickering in the background, particularly in scenes with dark patches or a generally low light level. It was like watching a monitor with too low a refresh rate. If I turned the backlight of the TV up, the effect became *less* noticable, which is the opposite to normal.

This only happens in 1080p24 mode. When I switch the bluray player to output 1080i60, the flickering goes away.

The Samsung TV is supposed to support 24Hz input, but as I've observed, there's a horrible flickering. I've changed all the picture settings in the TV menu, and the only thing that makes a difference is turning up the backlight - which only hides the problem.

There seems to be a lot of debate about whether 1080p24 does or does not create a better picture than 1080i60 - I can't see any reason 1080i would be worse, and I haven't watched enough content at 1080i to judge subjectively for myself. However, even if it's technically identical, it seems a bit perverse that the bluray player has to interlace and resample the raw 1080p24 output, for the TV to de-interlace it back at the other end with a few extra frames added.

I did consider that I used a cheap tesco HDMI cable, but it's 1.3b complient and clearly marked as "High Speed" so unless it's got some major shielding problems I doubt that's the issue. And then, I'd expect 1080i to be awful as well.

From some extensive googling, 24Hz input flickering seems to be a common problem with samsung TVs. But I've not found any real info on how to solve it - some people are suggesting firmware updates, but I haven't seen any solid evidence that this is the case. And even if so, would I have to go to a samsung approved technical support to get the patch? I don't see any way of doing it for myself via the samsung website.

Thanks,

GT

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
It is unlikely to be the HDMI cable.

Do you have all the picture processing turned on, on the tv? If so turn as much of it off as possible, it can introduce unwanted artifacts in to the picture. For Example if it has 100hz turn it off, turn the tv to cinema mode, turn the digital NR off, turn edge enhancement off.

The other thing with Samsung tvs to note is you have to set the picture up for each individual input, as your tv has 3 HDMI inputs you will need to sort out the picture for each one seperately. This is the same for all 3 of my older Samsung tv's & newer ones up to the 5520 that i recently got for my parents that i'm aware of.

Regards ...

gt55

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, I've turned off all visual processing. In fact, last night I left the BD on pause and went through every setting on the TV; turning it back on and off again to see if anything made a difference. The only thing that affected the flickering was the backlight (and of course setting the bluray to 1080i60 fixed it).

Just found a youtube clip of somebody else with a similar problem. Looks like there's a bunch of people (especially PS3 owners) having similar issues with samsung tellies, which (as you pointed out) suggests it's not the cable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgN0GGd-sz4

Unfortunately still doesn't really help :)

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
gt55 said:
Thanks for the quick reply.

Just found a youtube clip of somebody else with a similar problem. Looks like there's a bunch of people (especially PS3 owners) having similar issues with samsung tellies, which (as you pointed out) suggests it's not the cable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgN0GGd-sz4

Unfortunately still doesn't really help :)

No problem gt55

I've had a look at your youtube link & can see the problem.

Now having researched your tv fault / problem a bit further, the tv you have it seems can take a while to set up the picture properly using a decent calibration disc, it may well be worth the investment, I used one on all of mine except the 40" which i did have professionally done.

Look for / google AVS HD 709 as a free disc calibration alternative it may help solve your problem, if that is allowed by mods if not sorry i apologise.

Regards .. .

TRENDING THREADS