Samsung has announced a 34 ft wide 4K HDR Screen

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ok, hands up (not gel obviously) all those who really have room for a 34ft long telly.

I doubt even gel will be able to make his parents move to a sufficiently larger (and much taller*) house.

It's all got a bit stupid (unless you live in a baronial hall or a very large barn conversion).

* At least 19ft ceilings if it's 16:9 proportions are to be retained.

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
Ok, hands up (not gel obviously) all those who really have room for a 34ft long telly.

I doubt even gel will be able to make his parents move to a sufficiently larger (and much taller*) house.

It's all got a bit stupid (unless you live in a baronial hall or a very large barn conversion).

Agreed.
regular_smile.gif

chebby said:

It's for commercial application (cinemas), and probably few homes of billionaires with a private cinema.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Point is, if they can make a 34 footer for commercial applications, they should have no problems making 10, 12 or even 15 foot versions for home theatre use.

So long extortionate 4K PJ prices and over priced screens....

I'm pretty confident that a 12 feet LED screen will cost no less than $100K. This is an extremely conservative estimate, considering that Samsung's 110-inch screen was $150K.

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/samsungs-110-inch-4k-tv-to-cost-us150000/

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Samsung and Sony both offer 85" 4K LED HDR TVs on sale at Best Buy for $8k. Shouldn't be much of a stretch, therefore, to offer 144 inch wallpaper TVs (without tuners, speakers, etc.) for the pro-rata (area based) cost of, what? $22k to 25k?. And I expect that price to come down over the next 12 months, not go up.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
But when it comes to super-large sizes, the cost increase is more than the corresponding area increase. Something to do with both the difficulty of making super-large size screens without manufacturing defects, and also that far fewer numbers of units of the very large sizes are needed, compared with smaller sizes. No economies of scale, and all that.

Son_of_SJ said:
But when it comes to super-large sizes, the cost increase is more than the corresponding area increase. Something to do with both the difficulty of making super-large size screens without manufacturing defects, and also that far fewer numbers of units of the very large sizes are needed, compared with smaller sizes. No economies of scale, and all that.
Right. And also, the price drop will be far less, given that only a few will be made anyway.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
according to the AVF podcast its a load of smaller screens put together not one massive screen
Ahhh...

Live and learn.

I guess the next 12 to 18 months will decide what happens vis-a-vis huge wallpaper TVs vs. 4K projectors and screens.

Yes it may be a small market in the UK, but here in the US it's a different story all together. Around here a 2500 sq. ft. house is considered "small". Just bear that in mind.

TRENDING THREADS