Samsung 55F8000 possible fault?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Can't you just right down the settings, they should be okay, shouldn't they? It will only be a little out surely?

Unfortunately not; a new panel would mean the TV needs an entirely new calibration.

Copying settings can lead to greater inaccuracies than no attempt at calibration at all.

gel said:
I am pretty sure it was Jules, wasn't it Oldboy?

If so, you should probably give Jules a call.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Yes it was Jules guys.

As soon as I know what's going on with any potential repair I will contact him to discuss it, hopefully it won't be full cost again if it needs recalibration :pray:

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Keep us posted oldboy

hopefully it's not the panel. If it's not samsung allow engineers to repair at the home, unlike panasonic who apparently insist the tv is taken away for repair (with the exception of the foam fix)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
Yep, any updates?

Yes gel.

Spoke to Samsung today finally and went through the remote management procedure, got to say I was very impressed with the service I received. The outcome is that an engineer is coming out on Thursday between 9am and 12pm to have a look at it, it's been booked in for a home repair to so it won't be taken away on Thursday.

Will obviously keep you all updated with what happens on Thursday, now got to input the the THX picture settings again as they wiped my picture settings...what a pain.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Further update:

Things have happened remarkably quickly with this and I have to say that the speed of this service has been amazing so top marks to Samsung!

So the authorised service centre have called and after describing the issue it's a known fault with this range but the bad news is it requires a new panel to solve it :cry:

The good news is that Samsung authorise the repair company to carry out the install of the new panel at my property so the repair agent has ordered the panel which will arrive on Thursday so the repair will be done on Friday and take about half an hour. They will confirm on Thursday evening that the panel has arrived and call on Friday too with a one hour time slot for the repair so I'm not waiting in all day. How refreshing is this guys, this is what I call good customer service so all other manufacturers should take note as this has been faultless so far.

The bad news is that my THX professional calibration will now be wiped and I presume need doing again, this is a problem as I really can't afford another £225 for it to be recalibrated. I will contact Jules and see what he says, hopefully we can come to some arrangement but I'm not very hopeful in all honesty. Gutted that the calibration will be useless but considering the response from Samsung to my issue I can't really grumble too much I suppose but it all means extra expense that I can't afford right now.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

If it is a known fault, I'd want Samsung to either calibrate my tv, or pay for it to be calibrated.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Further update:

Things have happened remarkably quickly with this and I have to say that the speed of this service has been amazing so top marks to Samsung!

So the authorised service centre have called and after describing the issue it's a known fault with this range but the bad news is it requires a new panel to solve it :cry:

The good news is that Samsung authorise the repair company to carry out the install of the new panel at my property so the repair agent has ordered the panel which will arrive on Thursday so the repair will be done on Friday and take about half an hour. They will confirm on Thursday evening that the panel has arrived and call on Friday too with a one hour time slot for the repair so I'm not waiting in all day. How refreshing is this guys, this is what I call good customer service so all other manufacturers should take note as this has been faultless so far.

The bad news is that my THX professional calibration will now be wiped and I presume need doing again, this is a problem as I really can't afford another £225 for it to be recalibrated. I will contact Jules and see what he says, hopefully we can come to some arrangement but I'm not very hopeful in all honesty. Gutted that the calibration will be useless but considering the response from Samsung to my issue I can't really grumble too much I suppose but it all means extra expense that I can't afford right now.

Sorry to hear that Oldboy. I would push for a full refund it don't sound on to me. One year and you need a new panel! This is the problem with calibration TVs are so dodgy!

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Glad to see it looks like it's being dealt with swiftly and efficiently.

I think once it's all sorted I'd sending a cheeky email or letter to the head of customer relations and cheekily ask for a reimbursement of your calibration cost seeing as it's a known fault and not just random.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I've just read the small print in the T&C's and bigboss is correct, the cost of the repair is all that Samsung will cover in the first year but as rocket says...if you don't ask you don't get so I will send them a cheeky email after it's been repaired and see what happens.

The repair agent did say that it's a known fault on a very small number of sets and that they had a few to repair but not many so it's just my bad luck rearing it's ugly head again I guess.

To be fair I knew the risk associated with having a calibration carried out at the time it was done so worst case scenario is that I just input the settings from my current calibration and get it recalibrated when funds allow but I will contact Jules soon to find out what he can advise.

At least the response from Samsung has been impressively quick and efficient and that I won't be without my TV during the world cup, so refreshing for a manufacturer to react so well to an issue and certainly leaves a lasting positive impression.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Here we go...finally about to test it out so fingers crossed it's okay now, will report back shortly with how it's performing.

How's it going? :?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Sorry gel extensive testing last night hence the late reply.

It's great news the new panel is excellent and performs better than the last one so I'm very happy indeed!

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Sorry gel extensive testing last night hence the late reply.

It's great news the new panel is excellent and performs better than the last one so I'm very happy indeed!

Great news! :cheers:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
Glad to hear all is well oldboy. I'm curious though, in what way is it better than the last panel?

cheers

That's simple as there is no DSE at all on this panel, there was very little before but this one is completely clear. It's also noticeably sharper with a lot less blurring, with the last panel the only time I saw any blurring was with the football when the camera panned the pitch would suffer from a little blurring. The players and stadium etc would be fine but the texture of the grass pitch would blur but with this one it's much less pronounced and retains more texture.

I've input my previous calibration results and it seems fine as I can't say I've noticed any difference in colours and skin tones so if it is out then it isn't by very much at all.

I was a little disappointed that the repair company couldn't see the fault when they arrived as I found it obvious, even when using the engineers menu to display a white screen they couldn't see it even when I pointed to the exact position of it. They replaced the panel anyway and when they displayed the same white screen it was perfect so I'm very happy.

This experience has been the polar opposite of the service I received from Panasonic and Sony so other manufacturers should take note as this has been A1 service from start to finish and even the repair company was excellent. I'm very impressed I have to say and for once I'm praising a manufacturer rather than moaning or fighting and it's very refreshing :bounce:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts