Samsung 55F8000 possible fault?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm asking for your thoughts and wisdom yet again I'm afraid.

A few nights ago I went to watch my copy of the excellent remastered Fargo blu-ray and to my horror as soon as the film started I spotted a horrible light green tinge affecting the centre portion of the screen with the left and right side looking more natural albeit with a very slight red tinge which wasn't as noticeable as the centre portion. At first I thought it was the disc so I changed to another snow heavy disc (The Empire Strikes Back) and it was still present.

Over the last few days I've noticed it during everyday viewing through my TiVo box too so it's not a blu-ray issue, it is most noticeable during white, grey and light blue colours and very noticeable with any content from any source when the picture displays any of the those colours across the screen. For example snow heavy scenes such as in Fargo, shots of blue skies etc.

What's going on here? Bearing in mind the screen was professionally calibrated I'm of the opinion that it can't be a settings issue so I'm concerned I may have some sort of fault with the screen, can anyone offer an opinion as to what might be wrong please? Thankfully I purchased from John Lewis so I'm under warranty but before I contact them I though I might ask you lovely people for an opinion so any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Oh well back on the phone to John Lewis it is then...this is all far too familiar for my liking! Just under a year of trouble free viewing and this happens, will keep you posted with what happens, just in time for the world cup too :cry:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
So I called John Lewis and after creating a case etc I have been given a number for Samsung to call to book a repair, the guy on the phone was very helpful and was of the opinion it sounded like the panel was starting to fail...bit of an assumption as he is just an advisor from John Lewis technical support and not an engineer.

Anyway I will call the number I was given and go through the motions with Samsung, as it's within the first year of purchase I have to deal with them as it's the protocal set out by John lewis. If I get no joy then I can go back to John Lewis so let the games commence!

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
So I called John Lewis and after creating a case etc I have been given a number for Samsung to call to book a repair, the guy on the phone was very helpful and was of the opinion it sounded like the panel was starting to fail...bit of an assumption as he is just an advisor from John Lewis technical support and not an engineer.

Anyway I will call the number I was given and go through the motions with Samsung, as it's within the first year of purchase I have to deal with them as it's the protocal set out by John lewis. If I get no joy then I can go back to John Lewis so let the games commence!

I'd ask for a new TV. :)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
If they say it's the panel gel then I will do exactly that. Either way I'm not going through a scenario where they take the TV away for 4-6 weeks then it comes back with the same issue. Been there done that. I will want an agreed time period before I even consider letting the TV leave my house and I want it in writing, when you spend £2,500 on a TV that's they very least they can do if it develops a fault in my humble opinion.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I was hoping to get a new 4K tv next year, was thinking of samsung but with all these negative reviews i may stick with panasonic, i've never had any problems with them and i find them reliable... :?

D

Deleted member 2457

simonlewis said:
I was hoping to get a new 4K tv next year, was thinking of samsung but with all these negative reviews i may stick with panasonic, i've never had any problems with them and i find them reliable... :?

4K Panasonic or plasma?

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Mate, sorry to hear your having problems. After all the problems you previously had you finally found a tv you happy with and now this. Fingers crossed it gets resolved quickly and efficiently

:pray:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
I can understand the frustration of sending the TV away just before the world cup & Wimbledon. Didn't you have a similar problem just before Olympic games?

That is correct bigboss and your memory is excellent!

With it being the summer of sport I'm even more frustrated in all honesty, don't know if I will get the chance to speak to Samsung today as it just depends on what time I get home as stupidly I left the number to call along with my receipt at home. Doh!

If not today I will definitely speak to them tomorrow but I'm just hoping it's nothing serious but knowing my luck it will be a new panel and that means a long wait for a repair if my experience with Panasonic is anything to go by.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
Mate, sorry to hear your having problems. After all the problems you previously had you finally found a tv you happy with and now this. Fingers crossed it gets resolved quickly and efficiently

:pray:

Thank you rocket.

Hopefully Samsung prove much better at repairs than Panasonic but I'm not holding my breath, best to prepare for the worse. Thankfully I still have the 40F7000 in the bedroom if I don't get a loan set so I won't be without a TV but with both sets being wall mounted it does mean a hell of a lot of hassle to move that TV into the living room.

Better than nothing though but let's see what Samsung's response is first, I assume an engineer will come out in the first instance and then if necessary take it away at a later date as that's been the way all my previous issues were handled.

What I will say is that apart from this the TV has been excellent.

The only problem might be that my professional calibration may be wiped if I need a new panel or some sort of repair. Does anyone know if it will need calibrating again after repair? I'm presuming a new panel would need a complete new calibration carried out...??

T

theflyingwasp

I forgot about having to re-calibrate after panel failure! That would be most annoying! We are not talking 20quid here I was blimen £200 for the ZT.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear you're having more TV troubles, Oldboy.

Out of interest, who calibrated your TV? It might be worth calling them to explain the situation. Perhaps they'll be willing to help out.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Sorry to hear you're having more TV troubles, Oldboy.

Out of interest, who calibrated your TV? It might be worth calling them to explain the situation. Perhaps they'll be willing to help out.

I am pretty sure it was Jules, wasn't it Oldboy?

I am not sure what I would do, I wouldn't be keen on paying anything near what I paid to have it done. Can't you just right down the settings, they should be okay, shouldn't they? It will only be a little out surely?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts