Same TV since 1968

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
No not me. Some other bloke.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3223533/Man-owns-Britains-oldest-working-television-set.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=News

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Blimey i thought my parents one was old, they have had their 20" Hitachi colour TV since 1971 & are only now thinking of the possibly getting a new TV.

They are still in 2 minds though, at 78 & 81 my dad says it it worth it? bearing in mind it might out last us!! I keep telling him it is worth it in my opinion as the picture is much cleaner on a newer set plus its in widescreen, they would'nt be missing a lot of the picture & information on screen, it would remove the extra freeviw box that floats about under the tv.

My parents always comment on how good the tv picture is at mine when they visit & if they were to replace it they would be after a 32" maximum. At the end of the day though i suppose its what you get used to & or are used to.

Paul

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
f1only:

Blimey i thought my parents one was old, they have had their 20" Hitachi colour TV since 1971 & are only now thinking of the possibly getting a new TV.

They are still in 2 minds though, at 78 & 81 my dad says it it worth it? bearing in mind it might out last us!! I keep telling him it is worth it in my opinion as the picture is much cleaner on a newer set plus its in widescreen, they would'nt be missing a lot of the picture & information on screen, it would remove the extra freeviw box that floats about under the tv.

My parents always comment on how good the tv picture is at mine when they visit & if they were to replace it they would be after a 32" maximum. At the end of the day though i suppose its what you get used to & or are used to.

Paul
might make a nice christmas presant for them
emotion-21.gif
if you could strech to it

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The Mitsubishi TV featured in that article is not from 1968.

1978 at the very earliest (I would estimate) from the style and from the fact that the article mentions batteries in the remote control.

(It even has an IR receptor and digital channel display quite visible on the front.)

Still, what's 10 years when there is a good story to be had?

A

Anonymous

chebby:
The Mitsubishi TV featured in that article is not from 1968.

1978 at the very earliest (I would estimate) from the style and from the fact that the article mentions batteries in the remote control.

(It even has an IR receptor quite visible on the front.)

Still, what's 10 years when there is a good story to be had?

LOL. Ah so more gutter press sensationilsm. Its funny because my mrs who knows sodd all about tv's said "remote control?.......1968?......Are you sure?.."

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Looking around the comments on some of these newspaper websites shows I am not alone in thinking this is a much more recent set. (Early 1980s it seems).

It's a shame they don't give these stories to journalists with a phone or email, so they can get it checked out with the nearest local TV repair company (or Mitsubishi themselves) before going to print and possibly causing embarassment to a confused, elederly man who meant well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts