jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Educate me. I can pick up a Yamaha universal player for $99 and use the digital out to my DAC, but is it even worth my time? Seems hard to even find any music on this format. Is the SQ worth the hassel?

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
The sound quality is excellent, but it's a dying, if not dead format as far as mainstream releases go. In view of that, you're only likely to find limited titles of interest unless you like jazz or classical. Those releases which are more mainstream are usually secondhand and quite expensive. In that respect you'd probably be better off getting a player which does more, e.g. the Oppo BDP-831 will play DVD/Blu-Ray/DVD-Audio/SACD/CD. That way you can get a few titles, but you've got a source machine that will do a lot more.

SACD cannot be output via a SPDIF digital out, it's either got to be decoded by the source and sent to the amp with analogue outs, or sent via firewire (i-link) to a compatible amp which can decode it, or sent by HDMI as a DSD (preferred option) or PCM digital signal.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Great info. Thanks! I had no idea I could not use the digital output for SACD. Too bad. That makes it even less attractive.

The Yamaha player I was looking at does play everything except blu-ray. It's brand new but marked down 80% off.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts