SACD v CD

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I've got a hybrid SACD copy of 'War Of The Worlds' so gave it a spin last night. I noticed that my player automatically played the cd version so i changed the sound mode to sacd.

I couldn't really hear any difference or improvement in sound quality, in fact the only difference was that the sacd version played quieter.

Anyone else had experience of sacd and not been particularly overwhelmed ?

A

Anonymous

Hi

All depends on the player/recording and I can't speak for 'War of the Worlds', but I can say that where it's done properly the sound quality is terrific with SACD, especially with multi-channel recordings. Give any recordings by Telarc, Heads-Up, PentaTone or Chesky a go and you'll see what I mean, especially aspects such as ambience, warmth and the overall soundstage. It feels as if you're actually there in the studio/concerthall.

A

Anonymous

stevee1966:I've got a hybrid SACD copy of 'War Of The Worlds' so gave it a spin last night. I noticed that my player automatically played the cd version so i changed the sound mode to sacd. I couldn't really hear any difference or improvement in sound quality, in fact the only difference was that the sacd version played quieter. Anyone else had experience of sacd and not been particularly overwhelmed ?

The War of the Worlds SACD is multi-channel. Does your Marantz CD/SACD player support multi-channel or just 2-channel? If you are listening to it on 2 channel, is there a 2-channel SACD version on the disc or is it a foldback of the multi-channel version?

I have heard the full multi-channel version and, to my ears, it is much better than the CD layer.

Having said that I know there are some poor SACD's out there. The SACD of Oasis' What's the Story (Morning Glory) is supposed to be awful...

A

Anonymous

Mark Ellis:

Having said that I know there are some poor SACD's out there. The SACD of Oasis' What's the Story (Morning Glory) is supposed to be awful...

Last week I played my original vinyl copy of What's the Story... for the first time in years. Sounded pretty awful. The result of compression + layer upon layer of electric guitars (and too much coke in the recording studio?)

A

Anonymous

Let me just correct that sentence for you:

The SACD of Oasis' What's the Story (Morning Glory) is supposed to be awful...

;) edit: gah the strikethrough html tag doesn't work :( emboldened was supposed to be strikethrough, bleh

A

Anonymous

Some SACDs sound amazing, some CDs sound amazing, depends a lot on the recording...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts