SACD player search

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Looking for a CD/SACD player to replace my PS3 (SACD) and Pioneer BDP-LX91 (CD playback) I am looking for something in the £500-1000 range. It will be paired to a Yamaha DSP-Z7 via Van Den Hul 'The Wave' analogue phonos. SACD playback is important but I also want to better my Blu-ray player for CD playback (I know the LX91 is twice the price I have budgeted for my cd player!) Any help appreciated!

F

FunkyMonkey

I think Marants, Denon and Pioneer all do great universal players.

T

the record spot

Marantz 7003, 8003 CD players are well worth seeking out, likewise the predecessor to the 8003, the SA7001-KI. The last one here is a very musical player - I've had mine for around 18 months or so - but do bear in mind that while it handles discs with aplomb, it's a bit on the lean side, so the bass isn't going to be earth shattering. Think more lean and mean! Partner with care, but I do recommend it if you enjoy a detailed, clear and very open presentation.

Yamaha's recent efforts have gained a lot of praise, so here you have the CD-S1000 and possibly within your budget is the CD-S2000. Well worth shortlisting.

You might also land a good used player which was higher end, but available for a good price now. Have a look at the Jordan Acoustics site for some examples, they have some of the higher end kit, but occasionally get a good deal through, plus there's a variety of other dealers out there handling the same kind of kit.

The aforementioned players should be availble within your price range, quite a few on offer. Don't forget the Pioneer players too (sorry, model numbers escape me).

Some of Sony's ES range also offers SACD, so don't forget them - they were instrumental in developing SACD at the end of the 1990s and have some very fine examples. I see the SCD XA3000S is on offer for around £700, while the XA5400ES will set you back around £1200. Maybe worth checking them out too.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
If you want to save a few bob, look at the Pioneer PD-D6-J SACD player, around £330 IIRC. It's won lots of awards and high praise. There's also a higher model, the PD-D9-J.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Marantz 7003, 8003 CD players are well worth seeking out, likewise the predecessor to the 8003, the SA7001-KI. The last one here is a very musical player - I've had mine for around 18 months or so - but do bear in mind that while it handles discs with aplomb, it's a bit on the lean side, so the bass isn't going to be earth shattering. Think more lean and mean! Partner with care, but I do recommend it if you enjoy a detailed, clear and very open presentation.

Yamaha's recent efforts have gained a lot of praise, so here you have the CD-S1000 and possibly within your budget is the CD-S2000. Well worth shortlisting.

You might also land a good used player which was higher end, but available for a good price now. Have a look at the Jordan Acoustics site for some examples, they have some of the higher end kit, but occasionally get a good deal through, plus there's a variety of other dealers out there handling the same kind of kit.

The aforementioned players should be availble within your price range, quite a few on offer. Don't forget the Pioneer players too (sorry, model numbers escape me).

Some of Sony's ES range also offers SACD, so don't forget them - they were instrumental in developing SACD at the end of the 1990s and have some very fine examples. I see the SCD XA3000S is on offer for around £700, while the XA5400ES will set you back around £1200. Maybe worth checking them out too.

The Marantz players seem good, but from past experience I prefer my music richer than their sound. The Yamaha CD-S1000 (I don't need the balanced outputs), the Pioneer D9, the Denon 1500, Sony XA3000S and XA5400ES, And two Arcam models. All bar the Yamaha, don't seem to have been reviewed, does anyone know which are better than others?

Andrew, OPPO, better than an LX91 for CD playback?!?!?

A

Anonymous

The NAD M55 is a bit over the budget but probably the one I would go for - does everything except blu-ray, for example HDCD which none of the others seems to, and which adds credibility as a serious CD player.

T

the record spot

Great CD player right enough Chris, hats off to NAD for being one of the few manufacturers to produce a universal player that covers all major audio formats. Minor quibble being the other players mentioned are dedicated CD players, with SACD functionality, rather than pitched to the market as universal players.

Can't knock them though; around a year or so back, Arcam, NAD and Oppo were the only three companies offering a machine that did SACD, HDCD and DVD-A from memory and at reasonable prices.

A

Anonymous

The NAD seems good but I would be paying for upscaling of DVDs etc that would never better the BDP-LX91. I only really want a CD and SACD player, for stereo playback via phonos. Also quicker load up would be faster on a CD player than my blu-ray player! Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

T

the record spot

JTD: Are you sure about all those reviews that don't exist for the other players you mentioned earlier? I found one which used a magazine review by Alvin Gold as its source for the Sony XA-5400ES player. Haven't checked the others but might be worth looking around Google for a few pages. As for upload times, it depends on what you're looking for - my SA7001-KI loads up a track in about 8 seconds, about 15 seconds for an SACD. What's the Pioneer like - I mean, half an hour's a bit much...!
emotion-5.gif

Anyway, that review for the Alpha 10...

LINK REMOVED BY MODS - PLEASE read the House Rules, to which you agreed when you signed up for this Forum

A

Anonymous

I did find reviews for some including the sony 5400 but likewise it is hard to compare when all the reviews are by different people and no local shops have them available to demo. So far the sony xa5400es, yamaha cd-s1000 and arcam cd37. However today since listening to my BDP-LX91 using a hybrid sacd via phonos. This set up seems far superior to the ps3 via hdmi and am wondering if my money is better spent on a pure CD player like the Cyrus CD8 SE?

Also for the Pioneer BDP-LX91- Start up 30-40 seconds, cd load time is about 15 seconds (blu ray about 30-40 seconds again, DVD's are less) The sound is open, detailed, clean, very free flowing, natural, an easy listen (well with my set up). Plus DVD playback is almost as detailed as a blu ray! I want a cd player to reflect these sonic qualities, being greatly detailed but very clean, not too coloured either way!

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Marantz 7003, 8003 CD players are well worth seeking out, likewise the predecessor to the 8003, the SA7001-KI. The last one here is a very musical player - I've had mine for around 18 months or so - but do bear in mind that while it handles discs with aplomb, it's a bit on the lean side, so the bass isn't going to be earth shattering. Think more lean and mean! Partner with care, but I do recommend it if you enjoy a detailed, clear and very open presentation.

Realise this is an old thread but wonder if you can help me out? I'm reasonably new to this stuff and looking for new CD Player to partner Cyrus 8vs amp (pretty lean, fast and detailed) and speakers yet to be determined (currently MS902i but likely to change to Rega RS1, Focal 705 or something like that).

Anyway, point is, you really seem to like your Marantz SA7001-KI and I had been mulling over one of those or the new Pioneer PD-D6 Mk2 instead. I like music pretty fast and detailed - "background music" really isn't my thing at all. Listen to rock mostly - Floyd, Led Zep, Deep Purple - with a bit of mostly male vocal in there as well, although booming bass isn't particularly my thing either.

I don't have any SACDs and hadn't really considered buying any to be honest so the CD Player is really just for normal CD playback. I can't audition either CDP so buying blind...you said "partner with care" and I wondered if you have any thoughts on whether the Marantz 7001-KI / Cyrus 8vs combo would work OK if I partnered perhaps with a slightly richer speaker like the Focal? From what I've read of the Pioneer I thought (for reasons I can't quite remember or explain, even though it was only 2 hrs ago) that it would match the Cyrus amp pretty well, but just wasn't sure how the Marantz would fare.

The other option is an older 2nd hand Cyrus CD6 or Arcam CD73 (or maybe at a stretch CD192...?) player, but is the jump in quality up to those players warranted by fairly high 2nd hand prices (ie. not far off the same price as brand new Marantz or Pioneer)? I don't want to be perpetually upgrading - want something decent now that will last a while, mechanically and sonically.

Would really appreciate any thoughts you might have as I'm starting to think this hi-fi business is a bit of a black art and I'm losing the will to live !

T

the record spot

Hi there athenry, tricky one this, as I can only go on the chat I've come across regarding Cyrus kit and the odd snippet on Focal gear.

Currently listening to Zep's Presence album and there's nothing missing from it and I could sit here all night (as I have done) with the current set-up.

What I would say is that bass in this context is more of the fast and articulate than heavy and thumping (it can, incidentally, but that's more down to a feature of a recording than the inherent nature of this present set of components).

I'd definitely try and have a listen with the Cyrus kit. I've heard the odd comment around the latter being a little on the lean side at times, so if you want a forceful presentation, then it might not tick all the boxes.

I think you do need to keep the balance right - so your speakers may well pick up the bottom end as you say.

Worth shortlisting though; the midrange on the SA7001-KI is excellent - heaps of character and works well with everything. I'm happy recommending it - Hi Fi World rate it as a contemporary classic and I can see why.

However, we seem to have similar tastes musically (I like PF, and the Purps as well), so the player might float your boat. Hard to say as I've never heard it outside of my set-up. Be interested to know what you think if you hear it though. Bought mine blind too - in a sale from Hughes Direct last year. They're in East Anglia, I'm in Edinburgh - lots of reading up and blind buying for sure! There's a few reviews on other sites, so do have a look around on the web - an audio site in New Zealand had a good detailed review that matched what I eventually heard, can't provide the link alas (house rules, though we're not short on links for a pile of other stuff I note...!!!).

A

Anonymous

Far from an old thread! As record spot says Cyrus is usually lean-er than most and so is Marantz. Blind buying is hard but if you want something to balance out the Cyrus then I'd suggest Arcam, Yamaha or even one of the Pioneers!

My new question is, what's better SACD on an average machine or CD on a brilliant machine?!

T

the record spot

I can "kind of" answer that. Prior to the Marantz, I picked up a Samsung HD-950H CDP, which is a 2006 universal player with DVD-A and SACD. Picked it up for £80 on a Richer Sounds clearance. Normally £150 at the time, so entry level, but enjoyed goo dreviews. Bought it for the then forthcoming Genesis 1976-1982 box set, which had SACD.

Was decent enough, probably masked the limitations of the Genesis recordings and as I had a Linn Mimik at the time, I never used it for CD replay. Changed the Linn for the Marantz, and it was really like night and day. The latter player brought out everything, character, detail, etc. that the Samsung didn't bring to play. So you'd expect for a £600 player against a £150 one.

I suspect the same would be true of a brilliant CD player against a so-so SACD spinner. SACD isn't always automatically brilliant - see Genesis above, butchered is a word that springs to mind and there are CDs of the albums in that set that totally cane the 2007 versions and CD can be very, very good.

A

Anonymous

JTD:
Far from an old thread! As record spot says Cyrus is usually leaner than most and so is Marantz. Blind buying is hard but if you want something to balance out the Cyrus then I'd suggest Arcam, Yamaha or even one of the Pioneers!

Yes, I noticed after I posted that this forum uses the US date system. What can I say...combination of my first post on this site, it was pretty late in the evening and, most pertinently, I'm a numpty. But there you go.

JTD - take your point re the Arcam etc and you've reflected my own concerns bang on. However, on consideration I ruled out the 2nd hand route because I just didn't see amazing value in buying a 5 yr old (or more...some up to 10 yrs old) CDP for nearly the price of a half-decent new one. I know others see it differently and fair play to them but, for instance, I didn't want to go as old as the CD72, I wasn't convinced the CD73 would have been the right choice, CD93s are apparently more rare and so it would have had to have been the more expensive CD192. Also, I want something to last and a unit with a few years unknown play time and unknown reliability, with no warranty, wasn't a gamble I was prepared to take with my meagre budget. Also, I auditioned an Arcam amp at the same time as the Cyrus and felt by comparison that it was a bit too relaxed for my taste, which has made me a touch wary on that front.

The Pioneer was a much, much tougher call and I ruled it out only because of its minimalism - not the looks which I think are sublime, but the fact that there are no practically no buttons on it, and I have a great track record at losing remote controls so bit of a problem there as you can't select tracks without the r/c according to the reviews I read (if those reviews are correct, although I can't help but harbour doubts on something so blatantly obvious, then what were they thinking of - form over function?). Even if I don't personally lose the remotes, there are two small people in this house who will cheerfully hide them, flush them or bin them.

Then I found an ex-dem SA7001 KI for £325 (it's been a busy day...!) which I thought sounded like a reasonable enough deal. So bought it. Delivery next week. Will try with various interconnects if it seems a bit lean and I still have the speakers as a variable to play with at some point in the (probably far distant) future. If it doesn't work out I don't think I'll lose too much flogging on e-bay (which was partly why I shelled out a little bit extra for the KI version). However, I took great comfort from the Record Spot's comments here and elsewhere which resonated with my own tastes in music and systems. Apart from anything else, let's face it, I don't have too much to compare to, so it should be fairly easy for me to accept it at face value, stop reading about equipment and start listening to music again, thus curing my upgraditis!

One parting note on the equipment, however, as there's a cracking group review available where the SA7001 (not KI version) saw off various competitors, including Creek Evo, Audiolab and Rotel RCD-06 with a flurry of compliments. OK, I accept we're not into Cyrus, Naim or Roksan territory but I don't expect to be and against its peers it seems to hold its own.

Finally, many many thanks to both of you for responding - as a newbie it's nice to know there are more knowledgeable people out there willing to be interested and lend a hand. When the new CDP settles into the system, I'll post back out of interest and record my thoughts for what they're worth.

T

the record spot

My pleasure, though you've put me in a bit of a sweat nipping that "I found an ex-dem SA7001 KI for £325...so I bought it" number there; I nearly missed it - cheeky!
emotion-1.gif

Good bass testing albums for me are the latest Madness album - The Liberty of Norton Folgate, which is well recorded, clear as a bell and sounds excellent as well as being a fine album. Try out the "Clerkenwell Polka" track in particular which has either a tuba or a sousaphone accompanying the bass, but piano and brass in there as well. Chas Smash accompanies Suggs on vocals so you need separation of that little lot without it all becoming a muddle. Trust me, the KI walks it.

You could do worse than snap up Joni Mitchell's "Night Ride Home" too, the title track of which is packed with detail and a languid bassline sitting beneath it all. You should be able to snag the two for a fiver each (Fopp or HMV, or Ebay for less probably).

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
JTD: Looking for a CD/SACD player to replace my PS3 (SACD) and Pioneer BDP-LX91 (CD playback) I am looking for something in the £500-1000 range. It will be paired to a Yamaha DSP-Z7 via Van Den Hul 'The Wave' analogue phonos. SACD playback is important but I also want to better my Blu-ray player for CD playback (I know the LX91 is twice the price I have budgeted for my cd player!) Any help appreciated!

I use an Oppo BDP-83 connected to a Z7 (DSD compatible) via HDMI for Blu-Ray and SACD/DVD-A playback. I have tried using the analogue outputs from the Oppo, but haven't found the onboard decoding that good. Whilst the DSD decoding in the Z7 is good, as I've upgraded my DacMagic internal components, I'm finding that the same music ripped from the CD layer of the SACD is sounding better in some cases due to the high quality DAC. You may want to consider this if you want to use player onboard decoding, I'm not sure if you can buy it in the UK though.

A

Anonymous

pete321:I use an Oppo BDP-83 connected to a Z7 (DSD compatible) via HDMI for Blu-Ray and SACD/DVD-A playback. I have tried using the analogue outputs from the Oppo, but haven't found the onboard decoding that good. Whilst the DSD decoding in the Z7 is good, as I've upgraded my DacMagic internal components, I'm finding that the same music ripped from the CD layer of the SACD is sounding better in some cases due to the high quality DAC. You may want to consider this if you want to use player onboard decoding, I'm not sure if you can buy it in the UK though.

Hi Pete,

I am running my Pioneer on HDMI (VDH flat) and analogue phonos (VDH the wave) and have found although the two retain the same sonic signature, the analogue interconnects, have alot better timing (not definitive timing though), more rounded sounding (more solid and better subtelty). So DSD is appealing in concept form but I feel that HDMI is far from perfect. I have thought about an external DAC and know it would give vast impreovements but after the cost of DAC, uprading components and buying more cables for it, I feel a standalone CD player would be a better option.

I see your point on CD can sound better than an SACD with a decent DAC. As a result I have now expanded my search to CD players as well as SACD ones. I am avoiding universal players due to the thought that I'd be paying for, and getting interference from video circuitry that I'd never use.

I have narrowed my choices to four players-

Naim CD5i MKII

Yamaha CD-S1000

Arcam FMJ CD37

Sony XA5400ES

(Top to bottom order of preference)

The problem is my dealer can only get hold of the Yamaha and Arcam for a home demo. The Naim especially is hard to get hold of to have a listen. Blind buying is worrying! Anyone heard the Naim or Sony?

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
JTD:So DSD is appealing in concept form but I feel that HDMI is far from perfect

I think the HDMI option is only limited by the decoding and internal components of the amp (the Oppo having a Pure Audio mode switching off video). Unfortunately the Z7 uses NE5532 opamps as opposed to the superior LM4562's in it's big brother, the Z11. I'm taking the plunge next month and I'm going to spend about £300 to £400 on having opamps and capacitors changed in the Z7. I think it'll bring the audio sound up to, or exceeding that of the Z11 for a fraction of the cost. I love the Z7 and see it it as a long term purchase, so I'm hoping the internal upgrades will give me an improved audio experience, especially with SACD via HDMI.

A

Anonymous

pete321:
JTD:So DSD is appealing in concept form but I feel that HDMI is far from perfect

I think the HDMI option is only limited by the decoding and internal components of the amp. Unfortunately the Z7 uses NE5532 opamps as opposed to the superior LM4562's in it's big brother, the Z11. I'm taking the plunge next month and I'm going to spend about £300 to £400 on having opamps and capacitors changed in the Z7. I think it'll bring the audio sound up to, or exceeding that of the Z11 for a fraction of the cost. I love the Z7 and see it it as a long term purchase, so I'm hoping the internal upgrades will give me an improved audio experience, especially with SACD via HDMI.

Let me know how it goes!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
JTD: I have narrowed my choices to four players-

Naim CD5i MKII

Yamaha CD-S1000

Arcam FMJ CD37

Sony XA5400ES

For me, the best two CD players under £1k are these two....

CD5i - I've always been a fan of Naim. I've always liked the fact that it produces music, rather than just noise when compared to the average Japanese CD players (although they have improved a lot of the last 10/15 years). I've always liked the energy they have, as I'm not one for a system that's too smooth. You can be trying amps and speakers out with an alternative CD player, which might sound fine. Then you pop the Naim on, and if properly warmed up, can transform the whole thing.

Saturn - Sometimes the CD5i may be a little 'forward' sounding for some people, or their system might not be too receptive to a CD player that doesn't hold much back. The Rega is almost the other end of the scale - warm, silky smooth and laid back. Ideal if the system's higher frequencies are a little strident. The Saturn never usually sounds completely even and balanced, but it does sound like music - that goes for anything Rega. Stick a whole Rega system together and you just know it's not the last word in accuracy, but you just don't care because it sounds so damn nice.

Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts