SACD - General enquiry

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
- Is SACD a relatively new format?

- Is it proving popular and therefore growing as a format?

- Is it likely to take over from CDs eventually as a non-PC format? (not wanting to start another "Future of music playback" thread)

I thought it was new, but a few things I've read recently suggest it's been around for a bit but hasn't really caught on.... that said manufacturers are still producing new SACD players.... confused!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jbadman"]
- Is SACD a relatively new format?

- Is it proving popular and therefore growing as a format?

- Is it likely to take over from CDs eventually as a non-PC format? (not wanting to start another "Future of music playback" thread)

I thought it was new, but a few things I've read recently suggest it's been around for a bit but hasn't really caught on.... that said manufacturers are still producing new SACD players.... confused!
[/quote] No, it's been around for a while. Type in SACD in Google and check it out on the wiki encylopedia. If you are into classical music or even a bit of Jazz, SACD is worth investing in, in my opinion. I believe the quality is excellent but there are not enough recordings available for everyday music fans.

A

Anonymous

Any idea why it never took off? Did it attempt to be mainstream but didn't get adopted? (not googled it yet!)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The format war with DVD-A didn't help. But I think it was generally that the mass-market was more than satisfied with CD quality/more interested in lower-quality downloads.

Selling higher quality is always an uphill struggle.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The lack of serious quantities of mainstream content - and the poor availability of the discs that are/were released - hasn't helped.

I've got a handful of excellent SACDs in my disc rack, and wish I had more, but the choice - among artists I might enjoy - is extremely limited.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jbadman"]So is it destined to fizzle out then?[/quote]

No, I think it will remain a niche format, at least while players and discs continue to be made.

After all, it's been going for the better part of ten years so far...

A

Anonymous

Clare - as you say, it's a shame more mainstream recordings aren't available in SACD.

To my mind it seems like a nice compromise between the inevitable arrival of better-than-CD-quality-playback from PCs (as sound card and DAC technology becomes popular and afordable....and the inherant fact that distribution of high quality recordings would be quick and easy over the web.. compared to getting new formats manufactured and into the shops.....) and the touchy-feely aspects of owning a physical copy of your music.

Top quality sound plus owning something you can hold and look at.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I'd buy them, but most of the music I listen to is fairly small bands, found through friends, recommendations and Myspace. These are generally not on big labels, or even able to buy other than from small online companies... These guys are unlikely to be producing dual layer SACDs with the massive increase in cost.
I like a bit of classical, but not often, and not enough to warrant being bothered with SACD...

I do own one.. to try out with my PS3 - Genesis - A trick of the Tail.

It's pretty good, but the surround is a gimmick for music imo. Sounds interesting, but unnatural. The 2 channel version is better, and sounds damn good coming through the PS3, but at £16 a pop for these things, compared to £5-£10 for what I normally buy, it's not worth it.

VHQ downloads will take over IMO.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I have a Pioneer cd player which plays the SACD format and I must say I wish there were more titles available. I currently have the Genesis 1976-82 box set and a few albums by the Rolling Stones. They sound great on my cd player but I don`t have yet have a 5.1 system to try them out on. Looking on Amazon I see that a number of SACD titles have already been deleted and are selling for silly money. I hope they continue to issue new titles but to be honest I`m not too optimistic for the future as so many people seem to be investing their money in computer based musical sources.

By the way fr0g. `Trick Of The Tail` absolute classic!

A

Anonymous

what I never understood is why the record companies didn't jump on this format - unless you are using a hybrid (CD and SACD in one) then there is no easy way to copy them. The only way it is possible now is to capture the digital bitstream and recode it into something else. NO single PC has an optical drive capable of reading them...

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Mr_Poletski"]what I never understood is why the record companies didn't jump on this format - unless you are using a hybrid (CD and SACD in one) then there is no easy way to copy them. The only way it is possible now is to capture the digital bitstream and recode it into something else. NO single PC has an optical drive capable of reading them...[/quote]

I for one wouldn't use a format that I couldn't produce a copy for my portable and PC.
I always buy music if I like it, the exception being the above. I have a few albums in MP3 form only that I could not rip, and so either sent back, or got rid of).
While I absolutely think you should pay for the music you listen to, I also believe it is my absolute right to listen on my PC, portable AND to create a back-up copy, of music I have paid for.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Coincidentally was having a bit of an SACD sesh on Monday, catching up on some of the more recent Linn Records releases, using the Oppo DV-980H through the 875. Very enjoyable...

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew

Read the recent review in a certain other magazine about the Oppo DV-980H - sounds really excellent although I already have the Sony ES-3000 SACD multi-channel player. I must have amassed 500+ SACDs so far, mainly courtesy of sacd-net, and there doesn't seem to be any slowdown in the flow of classical releases which is the dominant genre. It's a terrific format and I'm very happy with it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts