Russ Andrews

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Good one!
smiley-wink.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
For the 0.001 percent* of the membership who give a rat's rear about Russ Andrews or their bonkers products, here is their email address ...

info@russandrews.com

and ...

contact page

Here is how to make a complaint to the ASA ...

http://www.asa.org.uk/Consumers/How-to-complain.aspx

Now, can we get back to the important stuff like whether WHF? reviewers should be laboratory tested, or if middle-aged men in t-shirts should be posting on a pointless forum and a table of loudspeakers showing what volume level you need on an Arcam A19 to blow them up?

* Not measured scientifically - and with no claim to ultimate accuracy - so please don't report me to the ASA.

John Duncan

AlmaataKZ said:
John Duncan said:
AlmaataKZ said:
Don't think so.

You don't think so?

I was again trying my English - the 'master of understatement' part.

Fair enough.

Though, given that they offer a 60 day money back guarantee, they are offering you to try for yourself and can test (and measure) their claims. Isn't that sensible and fair? Better than the 7 days I've seen some manufacturers offer.

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I often read these claims about this and that HDMI cable or this Power Cable making a difference...................funny thing is nobody has been able yet to show me being an amature or the Professionals in the field of AV any evidence to support it.

PS

Just been reading the same about expensive speaker cables but i have no experence with these so who knows.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Though, given that they offer a 60 day money back guarantee, they are offering you to try for yourself and can test (and measure) their claims. Isn't that sensible and fair? Better than the 7 days I've seen some manufacturers offer.

It is fair, stretching it a bit, (legal is a better term) but a business that shifts the proving of performance part on to the consumer is not good business in my book. Buy before you try is not a good model. The deal is basically is: we say it will improve X, but we say that only because one of our blokes tried it (if he did), so we cannot prove it and it may or may not work for you. But if oyu try, we have a chance to have a completed sale. and to increase this chance we increase the returns window.

To be honest, if somebody tested all of their products, how many will work, objectively? Not many.

Agree 7 days is short.

John Duncan

AlmaataKZ said:
John Duncan said:

It is fair, stretching it a bit, (legal is a better term) but a business that shifts the proving of performance part on to the consumer is not good business in my book. Buy before you try is not a good model. The deal is basically is: we say it will improve X, but we say that only because one of our blokes tried it (if he did), so we cannot prove it and it may or may not work for you. But if oyu try, we have a chance to have a completed sale. and to increase this chance we increase the returns window.

To be honest, if somebody tested all of their products, how many will work, objectively? Not many.

Agree 7 days is short.

I look forward to you posting this point of view on my 'DM5 Measurements' thread elsewhere.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Just checked their site. Here is an example:

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=5799&customer_id=PAA1362033614509UPVGBHNIWZFDCTBI

for TVs this will improve colour saturation. Don't think so. So, how this can be legal?

Edit: Ah, got it. there is a disclaimer:

The descriptions of sound and picture quality improvements in our product descriptions are based on our experience of using our products both here at Russ Andrews Accessories and in our own systems at home.

We believe that assessing sound quality is a very personal thing. Hearing, like other senses, is subjective by its very nature - as such, the descriptions are necessarily our subjective opinion.

While we have described what we heard when we auditioned the products, we appreciate that every system is unique! That’s precisely why we offer you a 60 Day Home Trial with money back guarantee on all standard cables and accessories. This is to allow you to assess the improvements gained with them in your own system at home. That’s two months to ensure you are getting the very best upgrade for your investment.

So, it is legal. Also - meaningless.

i was going to say Meh ! To all this. But that's outrageous.

Try telling an ENT doctor that hearing is subjective. Can you buy subjective hearing aids. . If you fail your driving test on eyesight just tell the examiner it's subjective and that's just his opinion.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
AlmaataKZ said:
John Duncan said:

Agree 7 days is short.

I look forward to you posting this point of view on my 'DM5 Measurements' thread elsewhere.

You may have noticed that I have never played one forum against the other and I have no intention to start doing so.

John Duncan

AlmaataKZ said:
John Duncan said:
AlmaataKZ said:
John Duncan said:

Agree 7 days is short.

You may have noticed that I have never played one forum against the other and I have no intention to start doing so.

It wasn't really a forum thing per se, merely a question on your views of respective manufacturers' terms and conditions.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
TrevC said:
JamesMellor said:
As a UK Taxpayer I think I am already giving enough to that charity |(

James

Barclays were not bailed out by the taxpayer.

Indeed. And a profit of £5.2bn in 2013. 5% of which would be - give me a moment - £26m.

Since they were bailed out by -- and are now substantially owned by -- our friends in the Gulf, you can pretty much guarantee that 5% has already been earmarked for charitable causes ...

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
For the 0.001 percent* of the membership who give a rat's rear about Russ Andrews or their bonkers products, here is their email address ...

info@russandrews.com

and ...

contact page

Here is how to make a complaint to the ASA ...

http://www.asa.org.uk/Consumers/How-to-complain.aspx

Now, can we get back to the important stuff like whether WHF? reviewers should be laboratory tested, or if middle-aged men in t-shirts should be posting on a pointless forum and a table of loudspeakers showing what volume level you need on an Arcam A19 to blow them up?

* Not measured scientifically - and with no claim to ultimate accuracy - so please don't report me to the ASA.

nice one Chebby

sick of all the bollox posts on here lately - whats speakers is a pet hate of mine ......... go and listen to some peeps

U

unknown

Broner said:
mikefarrow said:
Broner said:
mikefarrow said:
Broner said:
wilro15 said:
Mains products do make a difference!

It just breaks my heart that you come to this particular conclusion.

russ andrews makes alot of mains products - which ones dont work and why ?

Ahh, if you mean to ask whether I disagree with the idea that mains work, then the answer is no. I find them very useful.

i'm talking about to the various filters and mains cables he sells.

please tell which ones out of his extensive range dont/cant possibly work and why ?

WIth respect to the mains I have already told you that I find them very useful. Air is such a terrible conductor, so it makes perfect sense to me that mains are used. I haven't said anything about whether filters don't work, but I was in fact questioning the logic of the OP who jumped to the conclusion that 'mains do make a difference'. The outcome of the ASA investigation simply does not warrant that conclusion unless he simply means to say that mains are in fact useful (as opposed to not using mains), which I think we can agree on, is a somewhat silly thing to state (and you don't really need an ASA-ruling to know that).

Do you see that you are asking me some very strange questions here? I might as well ask you why you dislike artichokes.

the opening post said "mains products", not just the "mains". !

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I actually own some RA mains cables. Personally I don't think they have made much of a difference but they are all just plugged into a normal mains extension lead. I did not bother to send them back but I won't be buying anymore.

But in any case all of this is as subjective as they way we all perceive things is all so different , we like different food, different music, different smells etc etc so why can it not be possible that what some people look for in music reproduction is enhanced by some part of their system? It's not that they are right and someone else is wrong as there is not right and wrong in this , it's just their unique interpretation of the moment differs from another's. Personally I think blue cheese is the food of the devil and there is no part of me that can even fathom how someone can put that vile substance in their mouths but there are many people that think its very tasty.

TRENDING THREADS