Russ Andrews

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I'm going to write to ASA to ask Russ Andrews to state clearly on every product on their page that reduction in RFI does not translate to improvement in sound or picture quality. Anyone else writing to them? More people write, better the outcome.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
There are a lot of peoiple who would disagree wiith you there BB. Not surpirisng we disagree :)

I am not on about the RA cables - but reducing RFI airborne and internal does definately improve sound quality. The lower the noise the better it sounds - so the RA cables may well improve sound quality if proven to reduce RFI.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
Errr, I think the reason they focused their testing on RFI noise is because the complainant challenged the advertisement on the noise reduction claims? So perhaps you need to raise another challenge on another manufacturer's ad that claims sound quality mprovements?

As I said in the other thread, when people say they can hear differences, you say that's impossible because it can't be measured. But now when they are able to measure a reduction in RFI noise, you say that doesn't prove anything because the difference can't be heard.

How convenient.

You may be confusing RFI at the end of the cable with the signal on your amp output and speaker output. reducing the former does not necessarilty change the latter.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I'm going to write to ASA to ask Russ Andrews to state clearly on every product on their page that reduction in RFI does not translate to improvement in sound or picture quality. Anyone else writing to them? More people write, better the outcome.

that would make sence actually

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
There are a lot of peoiple who would disagree wiith you there BB. Not surpirisng we disagree :)

I am not on about the RA cables - but reducing RFI airborne and internal does definately improve sound quality. The lower the noise the better it sounds - so the RA cables may well improve sound quality if proven to reduce RFI.

the problem is this is only true theoretically. one needs to quantify things to prove there is impact on sound. they do not. who does do it is the designers who desing the aoudio gear - done properly, they make sure whatever gets into the gear and whatever is generetated iside the gear is dealt with appropriately and therefore not audible. Bryston, for example, confirms that their desing is solid and therefore doe snto require additional products to work its best.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
ellisdj said:

the problem is this is only true theoretically. one needs to quantify things to prove there is impact on sound. they do not. who really does do it are the designers who design audio gear - done properly, they make sure whatever gets into the gear and whatever is generetated niside the gear is dealt with appropriately and therefore not audible. Bryston, for example, confirms that their design is solid and therefore does not require additional products to work properly. .

edit: oops, pressed quote instead of edit

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Actually Bryston in the manual for the SST2 products recommends a power condition - titan or somehting I remember reading.

I assumed it was sold by them - I know the manual for my amp suggests plugging straight into the mains, not via another product so your right there

I find its working very well off a £26 tacima CS929 - however I wouldnt plug much else into this tacima - preferably nothing else.

John Duncan

AlmaataKZ said:
bigboss said:

Why single out Russ Andrews?

U

unknown

John Duncan said:
AlmaataKZ said:
bigboss said:

exactly, there are lots of cable/mains filter sellers out there.

John Duncan

mikefarrow said:
John Duncan said:
AlmaataKZ said:
bigboss said:

And people who sell 'better' bluray players and TVs and CD players and HDMI cables and speakers with active crossovers and speakers with passive crossovers and amplifiers and power supplies for amplifiers and speaker stands and...and...

TrevC

John Duncan said:
AlmaataKZ said:
bigboss said:

OK, let's have a go at Chord too. Their website is full of woo woo nonsense like this:

"The Power Chord uses the same high frequency effective shielding as other Chord cables, and like other cables with high frequency effective shielding the improvements are easy to hear and pretty universal. There is better definition, bass lines are clear, dynamic and easy to follow. Voices are more convincing and rhythms hang together better"

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
AlmaataKZ said:
bigboss said:

Cause the ASA test backed up Russ Andrew claims which has nothing to do with sound quality , not chord or any other company. More over Russ andrew deals with all things cable & front runner in cable sales.?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Native_bon said:
More over Russ andrew [SNIP] front runner in cable sales.?

Source?

My point being that there are plenty of other manufacturers you're going to have to write to the ASA about if we're going to be equitable about this.
Yes see your piont. My reasoning behind it was if Russ andrew is proven wrong & being a very well know cables company others will have to follow suit.

John Duncan

Native_bon said:
John Duncan said:
Native_bon said:
More over Russ andrew [SNIP] front runner in cable sales.?

Source?

My point being that there are plenty of other manufacturers you're going to have to write to the ASA about if we're going to be equitable about this.
Yes see your piont. My reasoning behind it was if Russ andrew is proven wrong & being a very well know cables company others will have to follow suit.

My next point is that you would have to actually prove that it is inaudible first, so the request to the ASA is a logical leap too far for the moment. Go crazy though...

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
mikefarrow said:
John Duncan said:
AlmaataKZ said:
bigboss said:

And people who sell 'better' bluray players and TVs and CD players and HDMI cables and speakers with active crossovers and speakers with passive crossovers and amplifiers and power supplies for amplifiers and speaker stands and...and...

'Several wrongs do not make it right' I think is the right English saying here (not my native one!).

John Duncan

AlmaataKZ said:
John Duncan said:
mikefarrow said:
John Duncan said:
AlmaataKZ said:
bigboss said:

'Several wrongs do not make it right' I think is the right English saying here (not my native one!).

I'm not saying that they do. I'm saying that if I were going to try to effect change in the audio industry, I wouldn't start with Russ Andrews.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
AlmaataKZ said:
John Duncan said:
mikefarrow said:
John Duncan said:
AlmaataKZ said:
bigboss said:

I'm not saying that they do. I'm saying that if I were going to try to effect change in the audio industry, I wouldn't start with Russ Andrews.

I see! Any strong precedent would work to help IMO. I do think RA is a better place to start than many. Yamaha for example also uses a bit of foo in adverts (the fifth foot for example) but the company is a true electronics engineering co moving the tech forward, unlike RA for whom foo is most if not all of the business.

ellisdj said:

ASA have themselves said that in the ruling. Just asking them to ensure Russ Andrews applies it.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
AlmaataKZ said:
John Duncan said:
mikefarrow said:
John Duncan said:
AlmaataKZ said:
bigboss said:

so were would you start from?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Just checked their site. Here is an example:

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=5799&customer_id=PAA1362033614509UPVGBHNIWZFDCTBI

for TVs this will improve colour saturation. Don't think so. So, how this can be legal?

Edit: Ah, got it. there is a disclaimer:

The descriptions of sound and picture quality improvements in our product descriptions are based on our experience of using our products both here at Russ Andrews Accessories and in our own systems at home.

We believe that assessing sound quality is a very personal thing. Hearing, like other senses, is subjective by its very nature - as such, the descriptions are necessarily our subjective opinion.

While we have described what we heard when we auditioned the products, we appreciate that every system is unique! That’s precisely why we offer you a 60 Day Home Trial with money back guarantee on all standard cables and accessories. This is to allow you to assess the improvements gained with them in your own system at home. That’s two months to ensure you are getting the very best upgrade for your investment.

So, it is legal. Also - meaningless.

TRENDING THREADS