Question Running in/Burn in?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 188516

It's more than the prices that are ridiculous.

some of his ideas are interesting though. just take his advice and use cheaper alternatives.

removing the sand / mass from my speaker stands made my system sound better. it was the opposite of what the hifi shop advised...

Gray

Took a look at Russ Andrews for the first time, not sure I will ever go back. As an example, I paid Oidio Sound, Cheltenham, ₤98.50 for a custom headphone cable, mainly because the Focal Elegia original was too short and stiff. RA has one that at ₤3000 costs more than Focal Stellias...
Wish I could have made you the cable, would have been just as good for a lot less.
As for £3000........you're right....just ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 188516

I've got some advice for the world, too - eat less and exercise more and you'll lose weight. That'll be twenty grand, please. Twenty five if you want the food pre-burned in (don't dwell too long on what that might mean!).

i'm not defending russ andrews !
his prices are ridiculous and some of his products (dde-1 !) well...

his free advice though can be used by anyone such as his recommendation regarding wiring a hifi circuit.

take his advice and simply use alternative (cheaper !) cables and parts etc.

i recently ordered some deoxit wipes from russ andrews which cost me a whole pound more than if ordered from the likes of mcru.

why did i do this ?

i now continue to get his free magazine that has some interesting articles in it you can either learn from or laugh at !

may i ask where did you get the idea for adding leads weights to your components ?
i ask because russ andrews advises and sells items for this too !

I wonder what he charges...

As I understand it, Russ 'look - I've got an oscilloscope' Andrews's vibration solutions revolve around a magic wood called Torlyte (or somesuch), and his logic is that getting the vibration through your gear and over quickly makes more sense than having something that will resonate. But that seems a far less elegant solution than trying to stop vibrations getting there in the first place:

I was talking to Miles, the guy who runs this company, about issues I was having. He said he'd had his Audio Note CD player rebuilt with a much heavier base etc, and that I might consider trying something along similar lines. No product to sell though, so I experimented and away I went.

D

Deleted member 188516

I wonder what he charges...

As I understand it, Russ 'look - I've got an oscilloscope' Andrews's vibration solutions revolve around a magic wood called Torlyte (or somesuch), and his logic is that getting the vibration through your gear and over quickly makes more sense than having something that will resonate. But that seems a far less elegant solution than trying to stop vibrations getting there in the first place:

I was talking to Miles, the guy who runs this company, about issues I was having. He said he'd had his Audio Note CD player rebuilt with a much heavier base etc, and that I might consider trying something along similar lines. No product to sell though, so I experimented and away I went.

that's interesting and certainly backs up why manufacturers build hi end cd players like tanks !

Secretagentmole

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
i've never heard any differences with this "burn in" - not with cd players, amplifiers, cables or even speakers !

if "burn in" is needed / exists how can they accurately measure if a component is not faulty at the factory before its shipped to a dealer for sale ?

Going back into history, Tannoy Mercury MX3 speakers got a heck of a bad press from users, basically because they took hell and all time to run in.... People were complaining of thin sound weeks after buying them and running them. They took months...

D

Deleted member 188516

Going back into history, Tannoy Mercury MX3 speakers got a heck of a bad press from users, basically because they took hell and all time to run in.... People were complaining of thin sound weeks after buying them and running them. They took months...

loudspeakers i concede may need running in due to the moving parts...but i have not noticed it on the various ones i owned over the years !

Reactions: Secretagentmole

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Neighbours, I believe it's better for me to respect their hours—when they're likely sleeping. So, switching from (usually loud) music to (conversational) Netflix, YouTube…

The bigger question is how do you have the patience to find and watch all these hifi videos?!

Informed-consumer, knowing perspectives. e.g. Paul McGowan:

And knowing you, the vid's for others…

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Sometimes the question of how much faith one has in a product? As I admitted, brand-new-out-of-its-box SA-KI didn't…
The 1st CD (a familiar favourite) I played on my SA-KI… I trusted it will sound better… one day it did.

I too am happy with having purchased Ruby set.

Cables… "Mr [AudioQuest] do [you] have some very interesting theory to share":

You're right. Though I should stress I have no strong opinion on whether it matters with equipment, do believe it happens with speakers and don't with cables.

TotalVictim

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
Sound horrible in your humble opinion.....
The idea that hours of burn-in will suddenly make an unlistenable speaker listenable is obviously ridiculous.
The idea that someone would purchase said speakers on the understanding that they will improve dramatically is also ridiculous.....

They sound horrible as a matter of fact, in direct comparison with the previous generation's same exact model, with same electronics, in same position in same room. There, fixed it for you.
Secondly, my point, which apparently flew over your head, was that break-in is more of a myth and a sales tool than an actual physical process of transformation.

They sound horrible as a matter of fact, in direct comparison with the previous generation's same exact model, with same electronics, in same position in same room. There, fixed it for you.
Secondly, my point, which apparently flew over your head, was that break-in is more of a myth and a sales tool than an actual physical process of transformation.
Break in is not a myth when it comes to speakers in my opinion. You, of course, can think whatever you like.
Sorry to hear your speakers didn't sound the same as they did at the audition

shadders

Hi,
This is an excerpt from a conversation with a testing house for speaker drivers :

Mass is not added to measure Qts – all you need to be able to determine the Q-values (and the resonance frequency) is the initial impedance curve. Mass is added (in the second part of the measurement procedure) to deliberately shift the resonance frequency so that the moving mass (Mms) can be determined – and once you know the value of Mms, you can calculate Vas, which is an essential T/S-parameter used for box calculations.

You won’t damage the driver. To break in the XXXXXXXX, run it at 7 V (rms) @ 25 Hz for 5-10 minutes and let it cool down before you do the measurement.

As such, speaker drivers do need to be broken in.

Regards,
Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts