Ruchi Bhargava why do you spam the hifi forum with how to threads?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

scene

It does appear that very few members are contributing on here sadly. A lot of members haven’t comeback since the forum closed for a year. Only some it seems got emails about it, but to be honest a lot of them weren’t WHF readers anyway I did like posting on WHF Facebook page perhaps I will just do that instead. It appears I am talking to myself half of the time! :)
Hi gel,

You're not talking to yourself (well not half the time - maybe a third of the time ;)) - just not all of us can keep up your level of posting... I have got a day job and a family, which does restrict my postings.

Having said that, it's definitely quieter here. But maybe it will ramp up slowly - I hope so.
Need to keep this place friendly and helpful. I'll admit my post on speaker suggestions for my A85 generated lots of really good suggestions, a pretty active thread and I've now got some speakers I'm really happy with, with some options should I get the itch...

I'm here from the duration, as long as things stay friendly/helpful. Some good blogs and actual detailed how to threads would help - e.g. posting on the trials and tribulations of setting up a new home cinema... An active classified section would probably help (but that takes time to build up).

scene

Hi Josh, didn’t read this before! Great. Is my contribution a pain or is it okay reading some offer forum members posts to me.
I missed this as well - I would say:
1. If this is content Future have paid for/procured, it should be honest about this and flag it as "paid for content" or use an admin account to post it
2. I agree different levels of tutorial are required - from novice to expert
3. I agree that "How to" posts need to be flagged - can we have a "How to" category of post (like with questions)
4. A separate sub-forums for How-tos would be good - but only threads that get enough likes get moved there - i.e. no posting to that sub-forum (it's a curated sub-forum) - that way any errors, issues, etc, can be ironed out before posts get there.

Just some my own thoughts on this...

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi gel,

You're not talking to yourself (well not half the time - maybe a third of the time ;)) - just not all of us can keep up your level of posting... I have got a day job and a family, which does restrict my postings.

Having said that, it's definitely quieter here. But maybe it will ramp up slowly - I hope so.
Need to keep this place friendly and helpful. I'll admit my post on speaker suggestions for my A85 generated lots of really good suggestions, a pretty active thread and I've now got some speakers I'm really happy with, with some options should I get the itch...

I'm here from the duration, as long as things stay friendly/helpful. Some good blogs and actual detailed how to threads would help - e.g. posting on the trials and tribulations of setting up a new home cinema... An active classified section would probably help (but that takes time to build up).
Cheers mate, yes a classified section would be a welcome addition. Yep, I agree with all your post.

shadders

Hi,
I think the posts were an eye sore on the forum, which disrupted the flow. As others have suggested, move them to a sub section specifically for how to, or tutorial.

The forum will pick up, but it will take time. The benefit of this forum is that the moderators are independent, which means that everyone has a voice as long as they remain within the rules.

Regards,
Shadders.

D

Deleted member 2457

np - and welcome to the "remarkable" club...
(Took me a while to wonder what that cross-flag meant next to my posts - was wondering what I'd done wrong :rolleyes: - and then I hovered my mouse over the flag...)
:cool: Cool.

D

Deleted member 188533

Hi

Just reported the 'How to connect a dual amplifier' guide for being plainly dangerous in its explanation, have i over reacted? Feeling guilty.

We're good. ;)

Anyone know gel well enough to know why he seems to have deactivated his account? Looks like he was the all time number one poster on the site going by post count. Be a shame to lose him.

D

Deleted member 2457

We're good. ;)

Anyone know gel well enough to know why he seems to have deactivated his account? Looks like he was the all time number one poster on the site going by post count. Be a shame to lose him.
Thanks mate I didn’t know whether I was useful or not. I will keep posting here, I have quit other forums I was posting on though so just this one I am a member of now so don’t close it again. :)

D

Deleted member 2457

np - and welcome to the "remarkable" club...
(Took me a while to wonder what that cross-flag meant next to my posts - was wondering what I'd done wrong :rolleyes: - and then I hovered my mouse over the flag...)
Hi Scene, you know Max liked one of my posts from 3 years ago on here a couple of months back so he is around somewhere. :)

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Just reported the 'How to connect a dual amplifier' guide for being plainly dangerous in its explanation, have i over reacted? Feeling guilty.

I just read that myself, and also reported it.

Future/admins, at this point, you're paying someone to spread misinformation which, if followed, WILL result in broken equipment for the end user.
This is not something you want to happen, I promise.

I'd suggest removing that post (and probably all the others by Ruchi) pending further investigation.

My proposal still stands.

Chris

D

Deleted member 188533

Thanks mate I didn’t know whether I was useful or not. I will keep posting here, I have quit other forums I was posting on though so just this one I am a member of now so don’t close it again. :)

Glad you decided to stay. :)

I just read that myself, and also reported it.

Future/admins, at this point, you're paying someone to spread misinformation which, if followed, WILL result in broken equipment for the end user.
This is not something you want to happen, I promise.

I'd suggest removing that post (and probably all the others by Ruchi) pending further investigation.

My proposal still stands.

Chris

I've moved the tutorial to an area that's not publicly visible and will follow up with the community managers. If you guys see any other content that's flat wrong or worse, dangerous please let us know. The report button works fine or you can also PM me. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 2457

Glad you decided to stay. :)

I've moved the tutorial to an area that's not publicly visible and will follow up with the community managers. If you guys see any other content that's flat wrong or worse, dangerous please let us know. The report button works fine or you can also PM me. Thanks!
Thanks mate.

D

Deleted member 188533

Also I moved this thread to Forum Feedback. It's a more appropriate place for it.

Fred_Barker

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
It does appear that very few members are contributing on here sadly. A lot of members haven’t comeback since the forum closed for a year. Only some it seems got emails about it, but to be honest a lot of them weren’t WHF readers anyway I did like posting on WHF Facebook page perhaps I will just do that instead. It appears I am talking to myself half of the time! :)

I happily "came back" when I got the invite via the email, as I was a member years ago, and while all seemed a bit quiet, I posted a couple of PM's, one was to an Admin, but not seen any responses as of yet... :(

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I've read through four or five of them in a row. There's too much wrong with the guides that Ruchi has posted.

I'll take this one: https://forums.whathifi.com/threads/how-to-set-up-a-home-stereo-system.110998/
As an example. It's pretty typical.

Here goes:
- Grammatical errors in the first sentence!
- 2nd picture shows binding posts, not RCA cables. Trying to connect a speaker using RCA cables would be an interesting maneuvre at best. You'd probably damage something by trying.
- A subwoofer isn't essential, or even typical
- Neither is a dedicated DAC.
- Step 4 ignores the DAC completely.

The whole thing lacks coherence and, in my opinion, understanding.

How I'd do it, with the same title:
- Step 1: Plan out and place the components, highlight bits about speaker placement, using stands, making sure amplifiers have ventilation, that kind of thing. Quick note on active speakers.
- Step 2: Run speaker/signal/power cables. Wiring diagrams showing typical setups.
- Step 3: Testing. How to spot that your speakers are out of phase due to reversed banana plugs, making sure your inputs work as expected, check all controls on the amplifier.
- Step 4: Enjoy.

I'd also put together another guide on how to choose HiFi equipment for your needs. That would be a fairly large topic to cover, but I'd be happy to tackle it.

Chris

PS - This one: https://forums.whathifi.com/threads/how-to-connect-amplifier-to-home-sound-system.111064/
Is genuine nonsense.

D

Deleted member 2457

Yes, funnily enough I saw that and posted on his account (at least I hope it was his...), but never got a reply...
I can’t believe you saw that too! Yes, I pm him too but no response either yet.

I don’t like this guys posts too I just ignore them all after reading one I did like the WHF contribution and still do like it with all their posts I don’t mind it clotting up the forum just good to see them contributing again. I am certainly not here just for the forum I like the WHF bits too and To be honest there isn’t much a forum anymore too.
Ruchi is a girl's name.

D

Deleted member 188533

I don't know anything official but it looks to me like they've stopped the content seeding. It stopped around the time I removed the post you guys pointed out and alerted the Community team. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts