RPTV - Sony KDS-55A2000 or JVC HD-56ZR7J

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am being pushed to upgrade my 33" Tosh CRT for something more modern.

I initially liked the idea of a 42" widscreen Plasma or LCD on the wall, but then confusion set in, after looking and reading, reading and looking, I was set to forget it and re-assess in future.

Then I read a report on the Sony KDS-55A2000 RPTV, as I could accomadate the bulk in the room - just !, and my mind was made up - Biggest & best bang for my mony.

Then I read report on the JVC HD-56ZR7J RPTV, but decided not worth double the price of the Sony, especially as not 1080p & no digitial tuner.

Now it is possible to get both for similar costs of just over £1k, but which is best ?. I also know that both are due to be upgraded & replaced. The Sony by the 55A3000 & the JVC by the 58DS8DDJ, but at a lot higher cost, and that's life.

It dosn't help that as yet I havn't seen either in the flesh.

Any help or advice would be appriciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
I was also very interested in the JVC ...I hadn't thought about another RP set (I currently have a 3 yr old Sony "old technology" 44") simply because my set is obviously outclassed by any current decent plasma or even the better LCD's ..but reviews of the older JVC IDLA all mentioned how bright and colourful the picture was (a definite improvement on traditional Rear Projection sets) and the 56" size appealed as well

....So what's the catch? ...in 2 words ..bulb life! ..reports from the USA are very negative about how short the bulb life is on the earlier JVC (approx 18 months/2 years with "normal use) given how much a bulb costs (mebbe's about a £150/200 a time in the uk?) many purchasers stateside were planning legal action against JVC for not being truthful re how long their bulbs last. If it wasn't for that apparent flaw I'd be genuinely interested in seeing one in the flesh (there seem to be very few dealers around selling the JVC's)

To be fair I don't know what the bulb situation is with the new JVC model (or the new Sony for that matter) but unless I hear different I'd be very cautious!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for reply, I had heard about bulb life on the JVC, and I'm also concerned about it on the Sony. Even so my prefrences was for the Sony on the basis that it was "newer" (?) technology and cheaper with more facilities. But, in that case what did you get for the extra mony by buying a JVC.

I'm suprissed that their appears to be no comparision testing listed anywhere between to very similer units.

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
Glad to be of some help ..although I don't like being negative ...

..What puzzles me is that a major company like JVC who must have put a fair degree of research and investment into introducing the new technology in these IDLA sets (and ironically have had excellent reviews of the actual performance of them) should allow such potentially great technology go to waste over something as basic as the actual bulb the sets use.

Fix the bulb problem and these sets seem to have some significant advantages even over plasma sets ......I wonder if anyone from JVC (or Sony) who may be viewing these forums have any comment to make?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts