Beginners setup for Xbox and Sky HD?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I’m looking to try and get a basic setup for my TV, iPod and Xbox etc. I have very little cash to spare but the standard sound on my TV is crap and has been for the past 3 years I’ve had it! We now have Sky HD and want something slightly better in terms of sound. To be honest two book shelf speakers hooked up to the TV would be fine but not sure about how best to do this and if it can be done via a hifi style amp and speakers? I looked at an all in one AV receiver and then though I could get two speakers to plug in to it, adding more when I had the money or need.

I’ve been reading reviews and loads of info on here but I really have very little money to spend right now. I am therefore thinking of the following reciever:

SONY STRDH510 - £140 Richersounds

I would then propose adding two bookshlf speakers around £100 if that would work then add the others when I wanted to? I’m not looking for killer sound and realise that to people that are big into home cinema this is hardly worthwhile, but anything will be an imprpovement from the speakers built into my LG LCD TV!

Any thoughts or advice?

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

If you already have a hi-fi system with aux-in sockets and your current TV has line out sockets on the rear, you can buy cables to connect them together. This would probably be your cheapest option.

An AV amp would give you the opportunity to upgrade as funds allow and to connect all of your kit without swapping cables over.

The amp you have seen in RS is a good starter amp - they also have some good deals on complete speaker packages.

Upgrading from TV speakers is always worthwhile!!

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. I haven't even got a hifi so going to go for the AV Receiver and then see what speakers there are in the shop. When you buy a 5.1 speaker set are two of these speakers basically bookshelf or floorstanding ones? I know there is a sub, centre and 4 other speakers - can you use any of the book shelf speakers as front ones in a 5.1 setup or do they have to come as a set of special speakers? Thanks

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I added a low powered subwoofer to my TV output which was an enormous benefit prior to getting a full surround system. Second hand is a possible. Speakers second hand should be easy enough too. (I have several sets!) I recon get hold of some second hand speakers, a decent sub and decent AV amp. I think this is the quickest way to get decent surround from your HD box. Upgrade path is then easy later on.

Only problem is choosing your second hand stuff safely.

Cheers & good luck.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
sc0ttb88:I've been reading reviews and loads of info on here but I really have very little money to spend right now. I am therefore thinking of the following reciever: SONY STRDH510 - £140 Richersounds

That receiver is okay - it depends if you ever intend to add a Blu-Ray player into your setup. Since this can't handle the HD audio formats (Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio), it might be wiser to spend a little more to get these and you know you're set for the future. Both the Onkyo TX-SR308 and the Sony STR-DN1000 are £200 from Richer Sounds and offer this decoding option, plus the Onkyo even as 3D compatibility to make it as future proof as you can currently get. However, if Blu-Ray isn't going to happen or if you're happy with standard Dolby Digital / DTS sound on these, there'll be no issue with that Sony.

sc0ttb88:When you buy a 5.1 speaker set are two of these speakers basically bookshelf or floorstanding ones? I know there is a sub, centre and 4 other speakers - can you use any of the book shelf speakers as front ones in a 5.1 setup or do they have to come as a set of special speakers?

Well, you can use any set of speakers, but really, your front three speakers (i.e. front, centre and left) should be from a matching range, otherwise you'll find you lose the balance across the three and surround sound films just won't sound "right" - this can be quite off putting. If you can, it's best to make sure all five match and the easiest way to do this is to get a package. Many of these packages can be bought in stages though i.e. you can just buy the front two, then get the centre and rears + the sub at another time.

A

Anonymous

Thanks thats great to know. I'm stuck now in between the two Sonys! I do intend to add a BluRay eventually whether it be through a PS3 or independent player. I'm not fussed on 3D at all so thats no concern. I like the idea of the True HD etc but do I need more expensive speakers to deliver this sound? I am intending on getting the Pioneer SHS100 as they seem the best within my small budget. Also, if this is 7.1 will it work as 5.1? Can I add speakers to the Pioneers if I ever want to bring it up to 7.1? Sorry for all the questions but probably going to go in today and get it all sorted! Cheers

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
sc0ttb88:I like the idea of the True HD etc but do I need more expensive speakers to deliver this sound?

Nope, you'll get a benefit with any speakers, so long as the amp can decode the formats.

sc0ttb88:I am intending on getting the Pioneer SHS100 as they seem the best within my small budget. Also, if this is 7.1 will it work as 5.1? Can I add speakers to the Pioneers if I ever want to bring it up to 7.1?

Yup, you can use a 7.1 capable amp as a 5.1 system, you just leave the speaker terminals labelled as the Surround Back speakers empty. You can then add speakers later on to make it 7.1 if you wanted to.

A

Anonymous

Well I ended up getting the 510 and Pioneer speakers and must say they sound fantastic! Very pleased. Just going to start reading up on all the settings and how to get the best from them. Thanks for the advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts