Rothwell In-Line Attenuators

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone had any experience with these?

Just the normal problem at low levels, ie background music, that the balance goes, sometimes even loses one channel.

These look like they could be the answer.

chrisr1718 said:
Has anyone had any experience with these?

Just the normal problem at low levels, ie background music, that the balance goes, sometimes even loses one channel.

These look like they could be the answer.

They do what they are designed to do very well but don't quite see how they will solve your problem when it comes to lo s ing one channel, or maybe I do not completely understand your post.

What did you intend to use them between?

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
They do what they are designed to do very well but don't quite see how they will solve your problem when it comes to lo s ing one channel, or maybe I do not completely understand your post.

It only loses the channel because the volume is so low, it's probably still there just not audible, unless you've got your ear to the speaker. It probaly doesn't help that the Cyrus volume control is stepped and not smooth.

chrisr1718 said:
Al ears said:

It only loses the channel because the volume is so low, it's probably still there just not audible, unless you've got your ear to the speaker. It probaly doesn't help that the Cyrus volume control is stepped and not smooth.

In that case the 10dB ones might solve your problem.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Another option is buy the bits to make your own from such as Maplins instead of shelling £70 on a pair of RCA plugs and sockets connected together with some 59p resistors. Sometimes I think everyone but me is made of money...

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I have used these before. I now have a digital streamer with an output level control, but I used Rothwells on my CD player output. The Rothwells do what they say, and are very effective. I did feel that they added a little of a change to the sound, but that could be due to running the amplifier at a higher level (lower input level + more amplifier gain = normal listening volume).

gasolin

Many amps,preamps have channel balance problems, some more then other

in line attenuators make shure the volume knob can be used with in the optimal range which is about 9o'clock to 3o' clock, inline attenuators also make shure the volumen is only loud around 12o'clock not loud at 9 o 'clock max volume at 10 o'clock and noticeable distortion at 11o'clock from a cdplayer and you wouldn't be shocked to go from turntable to cdplayer since the difference in volume is changed using the attenuators

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Another option is buy the bits to make your own from such as Maplins instead of shelling £70 on a pair of RCA plugs and sockets connected together with some 59p resistors. Sometimes I think everyone but me is made of money...

Then it's a good job I 'm not shelling out £70 for a pair!

Anyway, I don't have the technical knowledge to do it myself, we're not all whizz kids with a soldering iron.

chrisr1718 said:
MajorFubar said:

Anyway, I don't have the technical knowledge to do it myself, we're not all whizz kids with a soldering iron.

You should be able to find a pair for much less than that. More like £39 new.

I doubt many forum members actually owns a soldering iron let alone used one in anger. :)

gasolin

Al ears said:
chrisr1718 said:
MajorFubar said:

You should be able to find a pair for much less than that. More like £39 new.

I doubt many forum members actually owns a soldering iron let alone used one in anger. :)

Yes 39£ not 70£

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rothwell-RCA-In-Line-Attenuators/dp/B00B7383F8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452436758&sr=8-1&keywords=rothwell+attenuators

D

Deleted member 108165

chrisr1718 said:
They arrived today and worked a treat. Highly recommended! *good*

Had mine fitted for a couple of years and can say the same - highly recommended product. Totally transparent and giving more control over the volume dial.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I would usually rush into judging people hearing difference in sound presentation as expectation bias with and without the Rothwells, but there is one realistic thing that changes (improves).

Analogue volume pots have a horrrrreeeendeoouusssly huge channel imbalances, with typical tolerance up to 20% (or up to 6dB)! The worst spots are usually the begining and end of the pot, best being usually the middle. So when you use the attenuators you move your most used volume knob area forward and away from 9 o'clock position, into the sweet spot of near 12 o'clock position.

If you were listening in mono, then the only noticable difference would be clear improvement of channel balance. But since we are listening to stereo recordings, we will hear different presentation, say more double bass and trumpet played on one speaker, different imaging, soundstaging. If you didn't realize this is a simple balance change, you may think the attenuators added or reduced something in the recording, which they cannot. They are a simple precise resistor, like hundreds inside your amp, CDP, TT and speakers. Though a bit better since manufacturers will save cost on these precise resistors and get high tolerance ones for less important locations in the circuits.

The best volume attenuators made today are stepped ones made from precise resistors instead of brush swiping a carbon track. By adding a Rothwell attenuator you are a step closer to a great attenuator and away from the cheap carbon track poo the manufacturer stuck you with. Even if you have a nice conductive plastic ALPS Blue Velvet (RK50112, the channel imbalance tolerances will still be 20%, unlike precision resistor based attenuators which can have 0-1%.

s-l1000.jpg

4.png

The Rothwell, nothing fancy but it does the job well. The principle and build is the same as the full sized resistor based stepped attenuator.

rothw-xlr1.jpg

Now few pics of the bog standard carbon track pots.

eec66722_pot_dissection.png

Potar2.jpg

Shar contrast from those is this fancy Khozmo steped attenuator with precision resistors (1% tolerance) has channel matching of -+0.1dB, which is the standard used for double-blind tests of audio equipment since 0.1dB difference is completely inaudible.

khozmo-vishay-naked-takman-rex-stereo-stepped-attenuator.jpg

khozmo-dual-mono-stepped-attenuator-switches.jpg

Dislaimer. I do not own products or have any affiliation with the manufacturers. I just like to talk up well made and functional kit. DougK took the plunge and what was from theory we now know it works as expected. Thanks Doug.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

Yup. The RCAs are a single or a double resistor I think. The XLRs are 3 resistors. You can also buy a DIY kit for a proper stepped attenuator. The job is just soldering the damn things on. It's simple and cheap, and who cares how it looks on the inside.

Here are some DIYs.

10db1.jpg

TRENDING THREADS