Rotel RA05SE audition today at audio T

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi guys Need your comments. I auditioned a nad c355 amp and rotel RA05 today. i left my house expecting to order a NAD as my previous amp was a c352 wich i changed for an arcam a65 (big mistake) thats another story. I loved the nad sound but was left with a big decision after listening to the rotel. the nad had that bass and timing i so missed with the arcam, but the rotel had a similar sound but more detail, i found the nad at times the bass was over powereing. anyway i found it hard but ordered the rotel ra05 i pick i up next week. the rotel produced a similar bass with great detail and soundstage. I hope i made the right decision my cd player is arcam cd73t my speakers M.a br5 all cables russ andrerws Comments please

A

Anonymous

Fantastic choice! I used to have the RA03 and loved it. I ended up giving it to my dad in the end as I couldn't bring myself to sell it! The Rotels may not be the most hifi sounding amps out there but they really boogie and have a natural midrange sound. The build quality is better than on the NAD too
emotion-1.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:Fantastic choice! I used to have the RA03 and loved it. I ended up giving it to my dad in the end as I couldn't bring myself to sell it! The Rotels may not be the most hifi sounding amps out there but they really boogie and have a natural midrange sound. The build quality is better than on the NAD too
emotion-1.gif

+1. Had an RA03 (ahh, tone controls!) with an Arcam CD72T - lovely combo.

And the RA03/RA05 also works very sweetly with an Arcam CD192...
emotion-5.gif

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
thanks iggy. i have to agree not that a matters but i found the volume knob on the rotel feels better and the build a lot better i cant wait to pick it up next week will let you know how i get on,

p.s im using russ andrew cables but blackhodium biwire ast 400 i need new speaker cable as i am moving my set up and neeed longer cables i was thinking chord silver anv, bi wire to replace the blackrodium any experience or reccomendations welcom to go with the rotel amp arcam player.

A

Anonymous

I used mine with Chord Carnival Silver Plus Biwire and it was excellent. The Odyssey 2 single wire was better, but I suspect that Chord's latest Silverscreen would be somewhere inbetween, i.e. an excellent choice.

Despite buying the Roksan Kandy MKIII CDP instead of the Arcam 73T, I actually think that the Arcam is a better match. 6thReplicant is probably right on the mark, the 192 would be storming, espcially with a speaker upgrade.

SteveR750

robg1976:Hi guysNeed your comments.I auditioned a nad c355 amp and rotel RA05 today. i left my house expecting to order a NAD as my previous amp was a c352 wich i changed for an arcam a65 (big mistake) thats another story. I loved the nad sound but was left with a big decision after listening to the rotel. the nad had that bass and timing i so missed with the arcam, but the rotel had a similar sound but more detail, i found the nad at times the bass was over powereing. anyway i found it hard but ordered the rotel ra05 i pick i up next week. the rotel produced a similar bass with great detail and soundstage. I hope i made the right decisionmy cd player is arcam cd73t my speakers M.a br5 all cables russ andrerws Comments please

I found the C352 had all the "grunt" you could ever need, but it was at times a little tuneless and often not very subtle. The RA05 is a very nice amp - good choice
emotion-21.gif

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
thanks for reply steve i agree i loved the nad but i found for example ketie melua piece by pice the bass was overpowering the vocals yes the nad had stereo imaging and depth but the bass did over power the vocals at times, the rotel had the bass and pace but did not sacrifice the detail and vocals, also on eagles (hotel california i found the bass tended to veil the treble and vocals and the rotel had the right tonal balance if that makes sense

A

Anonymous

robg1976:thanks for reply steve i agree i loved the nad but i found for example ketie melua piece by pice the bass was overpowering the vocals yes the nad had stereo imaging and depth but the bass did over power the vocals at times, the rotel had the bass and pace but did not sacrifice the detail and vocals, also on eagles (hotel california i found the bass tended to veil the treble and vocals and the rotel had the right tonal balance if that makes sensei found the same differences between the nad c326bee and marantz pm 6003 , the bass overpowered , the nad had the detail , but it was obscured whenever the bass kicked in , the marantz also has a wider soundstage .. on tuesday its highly likely to be replaced by a roksan kandy k2 though , pending a satisfactory demo ..

SteveR750

maxflinn:robg1976:thanks for reply steve i agree i loved the nad but i found for example ketie melua piece by pice the bass was overpowering the vocals yes the nad had stereo imaging and depth but the bass did over power the vocals at times, the rotel had the bass and pace but did not sacrifice the detail and vocals, also on eagles (hotel california i found the bass tended to veil the treble and vocals and the rotel had the right tonal balance if that makes sensei found the same differences between the nad c326bee and marantz pm 6003 , the bass overpowered , the nad had the detail , but it was obscured whenever the bass kicked in , the marantz also has a wider soundstage .. on tuesday its highly likely to be replaced by a roksan kandy k2 though , pending a satisfactory demo ..

emotion-21.gif
...For Those About to Rock....!"

Enjoy.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
robg1976:Hi guys

Need your comments.

I auditioned a nad c355 amp and rotel RA05 today. i left my house expecting to order a NAD as my previous amp was a c352 wich i changed for an arcam a65 (big mistake) thats another story.

I loved the nad sound but was left with a big decision after listening to the rotel. the nad had that bass and timing i so missed with the arcam, but the rotel had a similar sound but more detail, i found the nad at times the bass was over powereing. anyway i found it hard but ordered the rotel ra05 i pick i up next week. the rotel produced a similar bass with great detail and soundstage. I hope i made the right decision

my cd player is arcam cd73t my speakers M.a br5 all cables russ andrerws

Comments please

Recently bought a 22 year old Rotel RA-870BX as a stop gap until a Supernait comes along and was stunned by the detail these amps can produce as well as excellent build quailty. I've always been told Rotel amps major on detail retrieval without sounding overly forward and this seems to be their philosophy, maybe I'll be investigating a newer version of the Rotal amp before I look at Naim? Thumbs up
emotion-21.gif
from me!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts