I have a pair of Mission 751 speakers that are currently hooked up to a Sony 7.1 AV receiver (STR-DG820). I use them for music in stereo mode, so this Sony receiver is not really satisfactory for me.

I found an old Rotel RA-820A integrated amp tucked away in a closet in my grandparents' house, and it still works. I believe it's from around 1986. I can barely find any information about it online, so I wanted to hear from someone more knowledgeable than me, whether or not this amp would be better than my Sony AV receiver.

Any advice or information about this amp is appreciated!

Saar Koren said:
I have a pair of Mission 751 speakers that are currently hooked up to a Sony 7.1 AV receiver (STR-DG820). I use them for music in stereo mode, so this Sony receiver is not really satisfactory for me.

I found an old Rotel RA-820A integrated amp tucked away in a closet in my grandparents' house, and it still works. I believe it's from around 1986. I can barely find any information about it online, so I wanted to hear from someone more knowledgeable than me, whether or not this amp would be better than my Sony AV receiver.

Any advice or information about this amp is appreciated!

Hook it up and compare. If it does tick your boxes... job done.

I've heard countless Rotels over the years, many of the older ones can't remember the model numbers, and some really hit the spot while other models were underwhelming.

So switch from one amp to the other and decide for yourself.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Other than the fact it should be 20wpc continuous output, any information you need to know will be in the listening of it. It may well provide just as much power as the Sony AV receiver, despite its relatively low output, but you may find the quality to be a little better with it being a purely analogue amplifier that has been designed for one purpose rather than a multitude of.

Give it a try and see how you get on. The 751s will appreciate a more beefy amplifier though, should the Rotel show promise.

plastic penguin said:

I've heard countless Rotels over the years, many of the older ones can't remember the model numbers, and some really hit the spot while other models were underwhelming.

The problem is, I live on the other side of the world. I can test it when I get back home, but that would mean carrying it in my suitcase and buying a 220V to 110V transformer. I was hoping to hear from someone who has experience with this amp or knows something about it.

Saar Koren said:
plastic penguin said:

The problem is, I live on the other side of the world. I can test it when I get back home, but that would mean carrying it in my suitcase and buying a 220V to 110V transformer. I was hoping to hear from someone who has experience with this amp or knows something about it.

The issue is that Rotel produced so many different integrateds, as did Arcam, Marantz... and so old that it's nigh on impossible to find someone who still owns the 820. I had the same issue with one of their old CD players.

You'll need to retrieve the Rotel from your grandparents... or look for one nearer to you and just buy it. It'll probably be chip money so if you don't like it you can either sell it on or dump it.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

chelstondave

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I had a Rotel RA-810A which I guess was one down in the range. I remember in that decade there were two ranges battling it out for budget amp King, the Rotel 800s and the NAD 3020s with new models being produced every year or so. I bought mine after a comparison of the two, the NAD had a fatter, warmer sound whilst the Rotel was leaner which I preferred. I would say it is certainly worth a listen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts