Rotel RA-1062 or another amp

dibdab

May 26, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking for a new amp as i want a second system in my study, (my two year old has taken over the living room during the day)

So i thought it might be a good idea to move my trusty marantz pm66se ki sig upto the study for headphone duties and upgrade my main sytem with a better second hand amp as i have a limited budget £300 max, i've found a rotel 1062 but am wondering if it will be a good match for my acoustic energy neo 3 v2 speakers?

I'm looking for a more detailed sound with better seperation, I listen to rock tool, NIN, pearl jam, 30 seconds to mars, the who, pink floyd with a bit of hip hop and occasional drum and bass thrown into the mix to.

Any other second hand amp recomendations welcome?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

For my ears, Rotel 1062 amps sound bright.

If you find a second hand Primare i21 or Creek 5350SE you'll surelly get a better amp.

azorro

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I had a Rotel RA 1060 in my system for almost two years, partnered with a Marantz CD6000. Too bright and forward sounding for my tastes, although nicely tight, fast and punchy bass. For me was good with rock, much less with classical and acoustic jazz. So it might work with you. I hope this helps.

dibdab

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I'm hopefully going to demo the rotel amp today but am taking a look at the creek amps as well now, haven't seen any creek 5350se amps available but have seen the creek evo v1 on ebay for £350 brand new i think, and wonder how that might compare?

A

Anonymous

With your speakers I'd highly recommedn the Arcam Alpha 9, Alpha 10 or the NAD C320BEE, NAD C352 (PD version) or C355BEE integrated amps

All can be bought vie eBay and the likes and would work very well indeed

dibdab

May 26, 2009
Visit site
I'll try and get a listen of a nad amp but i'm not sure they have the sound i am after, i did have a nad 310 i think as my first hi fi amp but soon moved to the marantz.

I'd love to hear the arcams as they get such good reviews, though i'm not entirely sure they would be my cup of tea.

A

Anonymous

dibdab said:
I'll try and get a listen of a nad amp but i'm not sure they have the sound i am after, i did have a nad 310 i think as my first hi fi amp but soon moved to the marantz.

I'd love to hear the arcams as they get such good reviews, though i'm not entirely sure they would be my cup of tea.

With your taste in music and having the AE speakers; I'd say the NAD and Arcam amps would be right up your street
smiley-cool.gif

See what you're able to demo (if you get chance) and then at least you can rule them out that way. Best not to write stuff off before you've heard it
smiley-wink.gif

This Arcam Alpha 9 would be a superb buy (although I feel his asking price is a little high):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcam-Alpha-9-remote-amplifier-PHONO-stage-BOXED-/120753439199?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item1c1d7741df

NAD C320BEE - A superb amp and defintly worth considering IMO:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAD-C320BEE-INTEGRATED-AMPLIFIER-TITANIUM-VGC-/360381896722?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item53e86f5812

A bit over budget but a superb amp still:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Musical-Fidelity-XA200R-XA-200R-mint-and-boxed-/280712662672?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item415bc74e90

T

the record spot

The Alpha 9's an alright amp, but hopelessly overpriced. £300 is just chancing his arm. You could've got one of these for £150 two years ago and you'd be doing well. Now they're nudging £300. Bide your time and wait for a cheaper one to come. They do (see Gumtree). Or get one of the others.

dibdab

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations i'm defintely going to keep an eye out for the arcam alpha 9 as i still want to hear it and would use it for another sytem elsewhere and will give nad another try i'll go and demo some of the current stuff to get an idea of the sound.

We got to hear the rotel and have managed to get a chance to demo it at home, not had much time yet to sit and listen properly (the little person is watching finding nemo) but so far so good, We got the chance to here it with some b&w 685 speakers and a cyrus cd player and the detail was amazing, i did hear it with a NAD C565BEE cd player at first but it didn't sound as detailed as the cyrus. We also got to compare the amp to the yamaha as500 and the rotel sounded more detailed to our ears.

Obviously the b&w speakers and cyrus cd player are much better than what i currently have so it was hard to make a decision there and then, it has defintely brought out more detail with my own setup with the few cd's that i have managed to listen to and nothing has sounded bad yet.

TRENDING THREADS