Rotel RA 06SE vs RA 1520 - big difference? + other questions

rainsoothe

Hello. I made a similar post about a month ago, and, in the meantime, i managed to audition several amps. Sorry if i don't know what terms to use to properly describe my listening experience.

I own a pair of B&W 602 S3, and i'm not upgrading my speakers anytime soon. The source is currently a PC, but will upgrade to a nice but not-so-expensive DAC in the future (more on that later). The music i listen to varries from Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, Transatlantic, Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree to the likes of Morcheeba, Zero 7, Air and ocasionally Prodigy and D'n'B. I managed to audition the following amps, with the following impressions:

Yamaha AS500 - sounded good, but was too bright for me and i got tired after 5 minutes of listening to it.

Marantz PM 6004 - seamed like it couldn't drive the speakers properly.

Marantz PM 7004 - sounded very nice, but on intricate parts it seemed to lose detail, and stuff became to sound a bit messy, and the treble a little harsh. Also, voices sounded a bit like from inside a can - did anyone else get the same impression with Marantz amps?

Creek Evolution 2 - i loved the sound, seemd to lack detail sometimes, but just verry verry little. Otherwise i liked it's sound a lot.

Rotel RA 1052 - i loved the sound on this amp, although grunge guitars seemed a bit tame on it. Else, i think it sounded amazing, especially when I played The Great Gig in the Sky - Pink Floyd (dark side of the moon 2011 remaster). The drums also sounded very very tight and articulate. And voices and overal sound seemed nice and warm-ish, although sometimes dry.

------------------

So, it all boils down to this:

1. Does the RA 06SE sound very different from the RA 1520?

2. Did anyone test both and what was your impression when comparing the two?

3. Has anyone had the same feelings about the Marantz?

4. One of the dealers had very nice words about XTZ A100 D3 (i think it's called). Should I audition that and is it's sound closer to Marantz rather then Rotel or the other way around?

5. If you had this ammount of cash would you go for Ra 06SE, Ra 1520, Creek Evolution 2 or the XTZ A100 D3?

Thanks very much in advance, and input and personal impressions would be very much appreciated.

IMPORTANT P.S.: I also auditioned Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (a DAC) with the Marantz PM 7004 and the Creek Evolution 2, and i think they sounded even better with it. If anyone has experience with that DAC, what are your impressions with it and how do you think it would go with Rotel or your amp of choice? Or what DAC would you chose? (also considering Musical Fidelity's V-DAC 2, CEntrance Dacport LX or HRT Music Streamer (plus or without plus) - never heard these other DACs, and I don't think i can audition them). Thanks again.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The Rotel 1520 is a clean sounding amp. it does lack weight, real low frequencies which robs it of timbre in the mid range and imo of transients, fine detail. But for the class of speaker you have I'm sure it'll do a good job.

The RA-06 I'm sure is the same amp the 1520 being the revamp - externally......never heard it though.

rainsoothe said:
Hello. I made a similar post about a month ago, and, in the meantime, i managed to audition several amps. Sorry if i don't know what terms to use to properly describe my listening experience.

I own a pair of B&W 602 S3, and i'm not upgrading my speakers anytime soon. The source is currently a PC, but will upgrade to a nice but not-so-expensive DAC in the future (more on that later). The music i listen to varries from Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, Transatlantic, Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree to the likes of Morcheeba, Zero 7, Air and ocasionally Prodigy and D'n'B. I managed to audition the following amps, with the following impressions:

Yamaha AS500 - sounded good, but was too bright for me and i got tired after 5 minutes of listening to it.

Marantz PM 6004 - seamed like it couldn't drive the speakers properly.

Marantz PM 7004 - sounded very nice, but on intricate parts it seemed to lose detail, and stuff became to sound a bit messy, and the treble a little harsh. Also, voices sounded a bit like from inside a can - did anyone else get the same impression with Marantz amps?

Creek Evolution 2 - i loved the sound, seemd to lack detail sometimes, but just verry verry little. Otherwise i liked it's sound a lot.

Rotel RA 1052 - i loved the sound on this amp, although grunge guitars seemed a bit tame on it. Else, i think it sounded amazing, especially when I played The Great Gig in the Sky - Pink Floyd (dark side of the moon 2011 remaster). The drums also sounded very very tight and articulate. And voices and overal sound seemed nice and warm-ish, although sometimes dry.

------------------

So, it all boils down to this:

1. Does the RA 06SE sound very different from the RA 1520?

2. Did anyone test both and what was your impression when comparing the two?

3. Has anyone had the same feelings about the Marantz?

4. One of the dealers had very nice words about XTZ A100 D3 (i think it's called). Should I audition that and is it's sound closer to Marantz rather then Rotel or the other way around?

5. If you had this ammount of cash would you go for Ra 06SE, Ra 1520, Creek Evolution 2 or the XTZ A100 D3?

Thanks very much in advance, and input and personal impressions would be very much appreciated.

IMPORTANT P.S.: I also auditioned Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (a DAC) with the Marantz PM 7004 and the Creek Evolution 2, and i think they sounded even better with it. If anyone has experience with that DAC, what are your impressions with it and how do you think it would go with Rotel or your amp of choice? Or what DAC would you chose? (also considering Musical Fidelity's V-DAC 2, CEntrance Dacport LX or HRT Music Streamer (plus or without plus) - never heard these other DACs, and I don't think i can audition them). Thanks again.

First, I've heard the RA-06 (original) with RS6s and B&W 685s. Wasn't over impressed with the MA/Rotel combo: It just seem to lack balance, but the 685s it sounded the biz.

IMO Rotel and B&W is a cracking match regardless of budget. Not had the privlige of the 1520. Likewise not heard the recent Marantz amps but the earlier models were very impressive as long as you avoid bright speakers. In particular, MA RS or RX range.

Creek Evo2 I had on home dem and played through my RS6s and sounded really good. The only downside was it was brand new and hadn't time to run in properly. Even so, Evo2 is still one of my favourite sub-£1,000 integrated amps. Funnily enough the only real critisism of the Creek was a lack of detail. Perhaps your example wasn't given enough time to bed in.

Sorry can't comment on the other questions.

NB: Just remembered that Arcam are a very good match with B&W. I actually heard the A80 (I think) with your 602s a few years ago and was pretty impressed by it. Also, I know Big Chris has Arcam A85 and your 602 (sure he still has them), and before that he ran a A65+ through them.

rainsoothe

thanks a lot for the advice. you lot convinced me to set up for another audition for the creek evo 2, this time with my speakers, just to be sure i'm not missing out. you bastards :))

i'll return tomorrow with an update on what i have decided - or the day after for first impressions of how either of them sounds in my appartment.

thanks again, much appreciated

rainsoothe

ok, in case anyone is still gonna check this topic out, i have found my solution and went with the Rotel ra 1520. It was the only amp out of the bunch that could take the harshness out of the B&W 602 s3 metal tweeters, which i managed to audition even with the Creek Evolution 2 and the XTZ A100 D3. Today was my first day spent listening to the Rotel in my home, and, with these speakers, it sounds very very nice.

BUT

Something really really surprised me, one of the dealers made me audition XTZ A100 D3 integrated amp, with XTZ 93.23 bookshelf speakers. And - if I wouldn't have already overextended my budget (initial amp budget was 450 euro, i ended up spending somewhere around 900), I would have defenately gone for that combo. If you have friends that got like 1200 euro to spend on a starter hi-fi system, the XTZ combo is the one to go for. The amp is cheaper then Creek Evolution 2, and the speakers are also cheap, and, imo, they sound waaay above their price. Only problems i had with the amp (besides not having money to get it+ speakers, cause it didn't sound good with my BW's) was that it heats up majorly, it doesn't have a phone amp and it weighs 20 kilos :p

but if weight, heat and lack of phones aren't a problem, seriously, everyone should give that pair a listen - the soundstage is deep, spacious, it has a very detailed sound, it never became harsh, it was just....very very nice. Seriously, the similarly (and even more expensive) priced Creek and Marantz products don't exist near that XTZ amp in my humble opinion.

anyway, i found my amp so thanks for all your help, have a good one. or two ;)

A

Anonymous

Hello!

Im a new owner of the B&W 685 and Im looking for a new amp. I consider B&W 685 as pretty bright compared to wharfedale and dynaudio speakers.

I know after experience and from A/B tests that rotel 1520/06SE is very bright amps, especially compared to Marantz PM7004.

So to warm up the B&W:s Marantz sounds more logical.

Dont you find this rotel and B&W combo any bright? Or is it a magical combination that Ive heard many talk about on this forum before.

My experince is that rotel is cold and very fast attacking amplifiers and that Marantz is warm and smoother.

rainsoothe

well the 685's might be brighter then my 602 S3's, so best thing to do (and best advice i got on these forums) is to take your speakers to your hi-fi dealer and listen to several amps. but, for my speakers at least, the trebles were to harsh with all the amps i tested. with the 1520 they sound great, but that's my opinion. and yes, i think rotel + B&W is as good'o'combo as ppl say it is.

surferpat said:
Hello!

Im a new owner of the B&W 685 and Im looking for a new amp. I consider B&W 685 as pretty bright compared to wharfedale and dynaudio speakers.

I know after experience and from A/B tests that rotel 1520/06SE is very bright amps, especially compared to Marantz PM7004.

So to warm up the B&W:s Marantz sounds more logical.

Dont you find this rotel and B&W combo any bright? Or is it a magical combination that Ive heard many talk about on this forum before.

My experince is that rotel is cold and very fast attacking amplifiers and that Marantz is warm and smoother.

Generally Rotel & B&W are great partners. However, there are other factors such as room acoustics, speaker placement, style of music... and personal preferance, hence why most of us can advise but the best recommendation is your own ears.

TRENDING THREADS