Rotel RA-06SE+B&W685 or Dynaudio DM2/7

A

Anonymous

one very happy dm 2/7 owner here, they amaze me every time i listen to them, fantastic speakers imo.

never heard 685's though.

A

Anonymous

I have Rotel RA-04SE + 685 And very glad.

It doesnt seem to be bright, on the contrary. Very full sound and great punch and bass.

The downside, at least for me - and I do not know if it happens with other systems - is you need to put up the sound pressure leve to enjoy it fully.

Cheers

loveloudmusic said:
I intend to pair Rotel RA-06SE with either B&W685 or Dynaudio DM2/7,which combination will produce better sound..??

Hi loveloudmusic

Just need to get a clearer picture of your other components, room and requirements -

What source component/s and speakers do you currently use?

How would you describe the performance of your existing components and the system as a whole?

What do you and anyone else who is also likely to use the system listen to?

Room size?

Room floor (concrete, carpeted, marble, wooden etc.)?

Is the room lightly or heavily firnished?

Room positioning of the speakers (in relation to walls, corners etc.)?

Will you stand, shelf or wall mount the speakers?

Listening distance?

Your general listening level?

The interconnect/s and speaker cables you'll be using are?

What improvement are you looking for from a new set of speakers and the kind of presentation you would like the system as a whole to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
It'll be down to personal preference. There will be no 'better', only 'different' so get what suits you. I'm a big Dynaudio fan but I recently went with my cousin to buy a system and he bought the 685s and they are amazing speakers.

I'm imagine the B&Ws will give you more oompf, and a bigger boogie factor, whereas the Dyns will give you a more faithful, neutral sound.

But TRY them both!

A

Anonymous

Hi, thank you guys for your useful info..since I am new to the world of Hi-FI.Special thanks to Musicraft..

I have a Sony BDP-S370 blue ray,currently I don't have speaker and amp..That's why I am thinking to get one for movie and occasionaly music listening..I have no intention to go multi-channel but happy to listen to recommendation from all for budget setup for 2.1 system.Budget allocated is £1200.Room size: 15'x20',Ceramic tile flooring, no carpet,room is furnished with wooden shelving,a fabric L-shape sofa,positioning of speaker will be corner near wall,I intend to put speakers on wooden TV console next to my 32" flat screen,listening distance is 12' from my sofa,listening level is lo for music and will push a bit higher for movie.

Since I will use the new system for movie I would like the system to give me all the excitement from the movie and also give me good listening experience(all genre of music) whenever I need.Thank you Rick..

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I like B&Ws budget speakers but there's really no comparison. The Dyns are far less colored. They have greater accuracy, deeper and more articulate bass, and never sound brash. Just my opinion of course. The B&Ws are good speakers, no doubt, but I think Dynaudio does a much better job of pushing their technology down to their entry level speakers than B&W does. The Dyn lines sound more similar than the B&W lines to my ears.

loveloudmusic said:
Hi, thank you guys for your useful info..since I am new to the world of Hi-FI.Special thanks to Musicraft..

I have a Sony BDP-S370 blue ray,currently I don't have speaker and amp..That's why I am thinking to get one for movie and occasionaly music listening..I have no intention to go multi-channel but happy to listen to recommendation from all for budget setup for 2.1 system.Budget allocated is £1200.Room size: 15'x20',Ceramic tile flooring, no carpet,room is furnished with wooden shelving,a fabric L-shape sofa,positioning of speaker will be corner near wall,I intend to put speakers on wooden TV console next to my 32" flat screen,listening distance is 12' from my sofa,listening level is lo for music and will push a bit higher for movie.

Since I will use the new system for movie I would like the system to give me all the excitement from the movie and also give me good listening experience(all genre of music) whenever I need.Thank you Rick..

Hi loveloudmusic

Thanks for your reply and your welcome :)

If you could also help with the following please -

Have you looked at any sub woofers so far?

Is the £1200 budget to also include a sub or just the amp and main speakers?

In addition to pre out sockets (to connect a sub) is there anything else in particular you would also like to the amplifier to have (remote control, mp3 input, headphone socket etc.)?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks Rick, £1200 excludes sub,remote control is must, headphone and MP3 optional..

Hi loveloudmusic

Thanks for your reply.

Although the 685's are impressive however all things being equal i truly feel DM2/7's are overall superior speakers. As for amplifers Audiolab's 8200A and the NAD C356BEE are ones to look at. Both these amplifers have quality of power to help maintain grip on the DM 2/7's. Whilst both 8200A and the C356BEE have different types of presentation however they do so without straying into becoming upfront or brightly lit and i've therefore found they can be listened to for hours without fatigue :) Fwiw i've got a 8200A playing in the background at the moment through DM 2/6's and this combination is sounds superb.

As for a sub the DM 2/7's are capable of producing ample bass so you may find this more then enough for a while anyway. If you can then try and stand mount the speakers (Soundstyle XS122 are excellent). Either way use small quantities of Blu Tack on each corner of the speakers base to help couple the speaker effectively to the surface. The speakers should also perform better like this btw.

As for cabling i'll recommend using the standard interconnects which should have been supplied with your Blu ray player and for speaker cables standard 79, 300 or 500 strands OFC type.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
avi neutron 5 will kill those speakers in sound and looks, just my opinion
smiley-laughing.gif

CacáBr

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
It seems to me B&W are more like wine from the "New World" (Australia, Argentina and the likes), I mean: lots of oak, lots of flavour into your face, full bodied, as if they are telling you you: "Hey, I'm here ... Listen to how open my mids are ! Look how I shine"

Dyns, on the other hand, sound to me more like a good Burgundy wine: complex, but balanced and elegant, not needing to show off. Exciting .. yes, but taking more time to love.

Which is the best I dont know. Perhaps the b&W are somewhat coloured? Don't know either ... they sound so much alive and natural to me ...

I use the B&W 685 ... just thinking to upgrade to the CM1.

Probably I'd be happy with Dynaudios too, but I'm too addicted to B&W signature to make such a change. Just auditioned the babies Cm1 with exactly the Rotel Ra-06SE, and found the sound to be overwhelming real - more adiction??!!! Oh my god - be needing some rehab here :D

CacáBr

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
It seems to me B&W are more like wine from the "New World" (Australia, Argentina and the likes), I mean: lots of oak, lots of flavour into your face, full bodied, as if they are telling you you: "Hey, I'm here ... Listen to how open my mids are ! Look how I shine"

Dyns, on the other hand, sound to me more like a good Burgundy wine: complex, but balanced and elegant, not needing to show off. Exciting .. yes, but taking more time to love.

Which is the best I dont know. Perhaps the b&W are somewhat coloured? Don't know either ... they sound so much alive and natural to me ...

I use the B&W 685 ... just thinking to upgrade to the CM1.

Probably I'd be happy with Dynaudios too, but I'm too addicted to B&W signature to make such a change. Just auditioned the babies Cm1 with exactly the Rotel Ra-06SE, and found the sound to be overwhelming real - more adiction??!!! Oh my god - be needing some rehab here :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts