rotel ra-04 or marantz pm6002 paired with marantz cd6002 and b+w 685s

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI All,

In the latest issue, it does a system tests for specific manaufacturers, what I'm wondering is, I want the b+W 685 speakers, but I need to pair them with a system (I've been looking for a while to get the best for my money). Initially I was to pair them with a Rotel RA-04 and Marantz cd6002, which seemed like a good idea and was recommended. I'm now confused as perhaps I should pair them with the Marantz PM6002 and the CD6002?

Anyone know which will give me the best sound for playing (most of the time) rock music?

I'll obviously be going to test these in a shop, but input from you guys is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The Rotel RA-04/Marantz CD6002 would be a good combination, but personally I'd go for the Marantz PM6002/CD6002 with the B&Ws.

The PM6002 leans more towards excitement and intimacy, while the Rotel sounds bigger and smoother, so I'd pick the Marantz as you're mainly listening to rock.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andy Clough"]
The Rotel RA-04/Marantz CD6002 would be a good combination, but personally I'd go for the Marantz PM6002/CD6002 with the B&Ws.

The PM6002 leans more towards excitement and intimacy, while the Rotel sounds bigger and smoother, so I'd pick the Marantz as you're mainly listening to rock.
[/quote]

This is a combination that thanks to the good people at what hifi i am about to buy and i also have the dilemma of having either the rotel, in my case the RA-05, or the PM6002 with the CD6002 and 685's. For a wider genre of music including classical, pop, acoustic and some rock, would your recommendation still be the same and would it change if the speakers are poorly positioned, close to a wall and only 4 feet away from each other?

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
I'd still go Marantz/Marantz/B&Ws, or choose the Marantz/M-S system in the magazine

[/quote]

Many thanks for this. I am going for a demo this morning of said kit. Want to buy the better speakers if i can as you say they can handle them and would prefer not to change them when the upgrade bug comes along. Will also be listening to Kef iq5se's, epos m12.2 and monitor audio br5's. Do you feel any of these will be better than the B&W option? Will also be listening to a Roksan Kandy to see if there is a massive difference but cant help feeling that as a certain well known supplier has both cd player and amp down to £220 in their sale then this is a bargain that i wont want to miss.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Bit of a curates egg really. Listened only with BR5's and the rotel sounded poor. Bass was loose and a little over the top. Damien Rice's Blowers Daughter and Billy Bragg's NPWA if you know them sounded very poor. A lot better with the Marantz amp. The classical we tried including Nimrod from the Enigma variations was far better on the rotel though. Interestingly the manager of this big very well known shop said that the Roksan Kandy was rubbish, loads thinner in sound than the equivalent cyrus, and full of rubbish components. Have arranged a demo at another shop to listen to both with the said 685's and also kef iq5's. Saying that it was quite a poor experience all round as i was hoping for a far nicer enveloping sound and what i got was quite poor. Not a patch, not even close to a roksan sound even allowing for the monetary difference. I don't want to spend £1500+ as my lounge is poorly positioned for stereo but if that is the best that budget separates can do i will keep the money in my pocket.

A

Anonymous

I thought the Rotel was quite harsh and thin when coupled to B&W 685s with the current Rotel Cd player, but as I havn't tried the Marantz, I can't really comment. I found the Rotel also very uninvolving; presenting music as information to ears rather than an experience. But, that said, it was incredibly detailed and so accurate and seemed rather powerful for a 40w/channel. You must try it, because if you like the sound it makes, you are sure to love it. It's just whether you like that sort of sound...nice build too.

Shep1968: Perhaps you should try looking at second hand products. A late 90s or late 70s amp would be good. What about a Pioneer sa-9800? Lovely amp from around '79.

I know my old amps, so if you are interested in a particular model, i'll give you a little info on them if you want!

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
That is exactly what I like about the RA-04, the sound is so detailed and accurate. I haven't heard the PM6002 yet, but I have heard the PM4001 and PM7001 and IMO the RA-04 destroys them both. I hope the PM6002 sounds better than those two.

A

Anonymous

I suppose it's all down to personal taste, I'll be listening to both, and will make a judgement based on the cds I'll to take in.

Thanks,

Tom

DNICE1

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
I have heard both Rotel RA-04 and PM6002 with CD6002 and B&W 685s. I tried them both twice in a day and everytime I found that the midrange on the PM6002 was very suppressed compared with a very open and detailed midrange on the RA-04. So I bought the Rotel.

Marantz produced smooth and detailed lows while Rotel was a little bright compared with the Marantz but very open. First I thought that a little lack of bass would be a problem as I like a little bass in my music. Also as you, I have also got my speakers only 5 feet apart mounted on wall brackets and they produce very smooth and detailed bass with the Rotel. The sound is really amazing.

But only your ears can decide which one you prefer the most. Thanks.

Qureshi

A

Anonymous

ok, I went for a sound check, and ended up walking away with the marantz/marantz/b&w combo. The sound quality absolutely blew me away. Albums I've had for years now sounds new again, like I've never heard them - the detail of the sound is very, very impressive.

A

Anonymous

I'm thinking about this combo too. How much did you end up paying for the lot?

A

Anonymous

Hi Everyone!

I am in the same dilemna....! I bought the BR5 a while back and am really confused on the amp. I cant audition this equipment in Delhi so have to go by other people's suggestions... I was considering the following options.... do let me know which one's would work best in your opinion.

My room size is approxx 4.5 X 3.5 M

Choiceof music: Classic Rock (Eagles, Led Zepp, Dire Straits, etc), Acoustic rock, Jazz (Miles, Coltrance, etc), Blues... I love detailed sounds with vocal clarity. And I normaly dont listen to very loud music.

Key consideration will be Speaker matching with MA BR5 and lots of inputs for CD, DVD Audio, Satellite radio, Phono and Pre-Amp for a sub-woofer which I might add later on.

Option -1 (Mix 'N' Match)

Speakers: MA BR5
Amp: ROKSAN KANDY Liii Mk iii
CD Player: Marantz CD 6002 OR CA 640 C (V2)

(The Kandy has rave reviews on What Hi-Fi so I am keen on it but its 2 times the cost of Marantz PM 7001 and CA 640 A (V2)

Option -2 (Marantz Set up)

Amp: Marantz PM 7001 (or PM 7001 KI)
CD Player: Marantz CD 6002

Option -3 (CA Setup)

Amp: CA 640 A (V2)
CD Player: CA 640 C (V2)

Looking forward to everyones suggestions and advice on the above.

Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

The amp was 220 as was the cd player. I also picked up the speakers for 350. so all in all a bargain if you ask me:)

A

Anonymous

Thanks. That's a bit above my budget though so i think i may go for the PM4001 + CD5001 + MA BR2's

PLuKE

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi.

Am currently using 685's, Am using my dads NAD 320BEE and i find the top alittle bright, The bass and midrange is very nice indeed just the topend is bright sounding. Are the NADs a bright sounding amp?.

Maybe i need to look at a Rotel or Marantz if they are alittle less bright?.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

[quote user="PLuKE"]

[/quote]

I bought a Rotel RA-03 because it worked well with bright MA RS1 speakers. The amp is very musical but not the last word in detail. The lower powered Rotels on the market now are probably priced better for the sound they give.

nads

[quote user="PLuKE"]
Hi.

Am currently using 685's, Am using my dads NAD 320BEE and i find the top alittle bright, The bass and midrange is very nice indeed just the topend is bright sounding. Are the NADs a bright sounding amp?.

Thanks
[/quote]

I would not call NAD amps BRIGHT. Not listened to a Rotel or Marantz for a long time so cant comment on them.

(a rider on the NAD comment i have not listened to any of the BBE range).

A

Anonymous

[quote user="spycatcher"]
Hi Everyone!

I am in the same dilemna....! I bought the BR5 a while back and am really confused on the amp. I cant audition this equipment in Delhi so have to go by other people's suggestions... I was considering the following options.... do let me know which one's would work best in your opinion.

My room size is approxx 4.5 X 3.5 M

Choiceof music: Classic Rock (Eagles, Led Zepp, Dire Straits, etc), Acoustic rock, Jazz (Miles, Coltrance, etc), Blues... I love detailed sounds with vocal clarity. And I normaly dont listen to very loud music.

Key consideration will be Speaker matching with MA BR5 and lots of inputs for CD, DVD Audio, Satellite radio, Phono and Pre-Amp for a sub-woofer which I might add later on.

Option -1 (Mix 'N' Match)

Amp: ROKSAN KANDY Liii Mk iii
CD Player: Marantz CD 6002 OR CA 640 C (V2)

(The Kandy has rave reviews on What Hi-Fi so I am keen on it but its 2 times the cost of Marantz PM 7001 and CA 640 A (V2)

Option -2 (Marantz Set up)

Amp: Marantz PM 7001 (or PM 7001 KI)
CD Player: Marantz CD 6002

Option -3 (CA Setup)

Amp: CA 640 A (V2)
CD Player: CA 640 C (V2)

Looking forward to everyones suggestions and advice on the above.

Thanks again.

[/quote]

I've got the Marantz PM7001/CD6002 combo, but with Focal JM-Lab Chorus 705v speakers, and I'm extremely impressed with it. It's smooth, detailed and extremely powerful. Watch out for the CD player though it can be quite bright especially on long listening sessions.

A

Anonymous

Hey guys - Just to let you all know - I finally bit the bullet - just bough the OPTION 2 Combo

CD: Marantz CD 6002

Amp - PM 7001 KI

Speaker - MA BR5

Interconnect: Monster 400 Mk2

Just hooked it up today monring - the sound is great ! I guess it will take some burn in to sound awesome!!

Feel free to ask me any questions..

cheers

ravi

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

I am also considering marantz pm6002 paired with marantz cd6002 and b+w 685s combination, but I was hoping to add AV to this as well, as I do not want to spend another £800 and extra kit. I want a nice tidy solution that would satisfy my music taste (listen to jazz most of the time), and give me decent AV output.

Thanks

Jazzmaster

A

Anonymous

Hi Jazzmaster - in that case - i 'd suggest to go for a Marantz SR 5002 AVR (Hdmi 1.3) i/o PM 6002. The SR has a direct 2 channel option for music and has awesome future proofing features for an AVR....

TRENDING THREADS