Rotel Pre Power combo

trebor1594

May 18, 2024
Visit site
For years ive wanted a pre-power combination as this was -or used to be the holy grail of hi fi system building . I finally retired and bought an RC 1590Mk2 Pre Amp and a RB 1582 power amp from Rotel

Now it seems that modern integrated amps are favoured -even all in one systems or powered speakers .

My system sounds good to me - and i can always change the pre amp or power amp for something higher end - but i feel like im "old school now" Is this justified ?

Also it seems that bi wiring terminals on speakers is becoming less fashionable -is this also "old school" now ?

This is my first post and i apologise if this subject has been covered already .

My system is as above plus Cambridge Audio CXN 2 , Dali Oberon 5's Ifi DSD Dac rega planar 2 with rega phono amp .

Reactions: Kenneth Fernandes
Welcome to the forum.
Absolutely nothing wrong with a pre / power combo and you have a very good one.
Most marketing these days seems to be about space and convenience.
Reducing box count saves space in modern homes. One box items ease convenience.
Back in the old days I ran a pre/ twin monoblock system into fairly large speakers but then I was living in a Victorian terrace property and had the space to do so.
I have no issue with reduced speaker binding posts these days as A: bi-wiring makes no discernable difference and B: I have no longer wish to bi-amp, along with the majority of purchasers it would seem.

Reactions: Kenneth Fernandes

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
For years ive wanted a pre-power combination as this was -or used to be the holy grail of hi fi system building . I finally retired and bought an RC 1590Mk2 Pre Amp and a RB 1582 power amp from Rotel

Now it seems that modern integrated amps are favoured -even all in one systems or powered speakers .

My system sounds good to me - and i can always change the pre amp or power amp for something higher end - but i feel like im "old school now" Is this justified ?

Also it seems that bi wiring terminals on speakers is becoming less fashionable -is this also "old school" now ?

This is my first post and i apologise if this subject has been covered already .

My system is as above plus Cambridge Audio CXN 2 , Dali Oberon 5's Ifi DSD Dac rega planar 2 with rega phono amp .
Hi Trebor,

you system is not old school, just serious. Your pre/power combo from Rotel is very good. Same for streamer and Rega turntable. In my case, I will just select different speakers. Dali Oberons are very good, just your amp is a big step better, my opinion. Depending on the size of your room and music you like, in speaker combination you have an "improvement potential" for future. Your pre/power Rotel may easily energize some Dynaudio speakers, which love power, control and resolution, or similar (Focal...). BR.

trebor1594

May 18, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
Absolutely nothing wrong with a pre / power combo and you have a very good one.
Most marketing these days seems to be about space and convenience.
Reducing box count saves space in modern homes. One box items ease convenience.
Back in the old days I ran a pre/ twin monoblock system into fairly large speakers but then I was living in a Victorian terrace property and had the space to do so.
I have no issue with reduced speaker binding posts these days as A: bi-wiring makes no discernable difference and B: I have no longer wish to bi-amp, along with the majority of purchasers it would seem.
Thankyou sir - i agree and as Intergralista says i have an upgrade path available as far as speakers go as well . We have a detached and ive converted the garage into a music room and i have a very tolerant spouse so im very lucky in that respect !

trebor1594

May 18, 2024
Visit site
Hi Trebor,

you system is not old school, just serious. Your pre/power combo from Rotel is very good. Same for streamer and Rega turntable. In my case, I will just select different speakers. Dali Oberons are very good, just your amp is a big step better, my opinion. Depending on the size of your room and music you like, in speaker combination you have an "improvement potential" for future. Your pre/power Rotel may easily energize some Dynaudio speakers, which love power, control and resolution, or similar (Focal...). BR.
Hi -thankyou for your reply . Yes i am aware that my speakers are ok but i can go much better . As im retired and on a fixed income it may have to be a Birthday and Christmas present combined . Which Dynaudio would you recommend ?

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi -thankyou for your reply . Yes i am aware that my speakers are ok but i can go much better . As im retired and on a fixed income it may have to be a Birthday and Christmas present combined . Which Dynaudio would you recommend ?
I recommend to search for "old but good" Contour 1.8 column. They are really good, made from hi quality components, neutral sound. Easy to survive some nuclear winter😆 . Or e.g Excite 32 or 34 are very good alternative. But Contour line is better. Here in Slovakia, is one pair for 800 eurs for sale. It is not little money, but they are worth each cent - for your rebuilt garage as you write. I am also thinking about such step in my house.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts