rotel or nad ?

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
My setup ;

Rotel RA-04 / Marantz CD6002 / MA RS1

I still think the sound is somewhat harsh and bright. I'm thinking of buying the new NAD C355BEE. Is the NAD sound warmer so the overall sound will be more listenable ?

Good idea or not ?

A

Anonymous

i would not say its much warmer ( maybe a little), but it probably will have more wallop in the bottom end.nads are really good in that respect.They are usually not bright amps either. As one dealer said to me, and i quote " they are all ars* and no t'*ts".He was not a nad fan though but i knew what he meant!.I did hear the RS1's on the end of a mates nad amp recently and they sounded good and a bit better balanced than on my system.I am now considering the same amp as yourself, want to see a few reviews first though. I suspect though that the Rs1's are maybe just not fully run in.They do sound a little bright but they should not be harsh.What speaker cable and interconnect are you using?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Loose the speakers, they are diabolical. Then loose the amplifier, its overrated and diabolical. Then loose the player, its equally overrated and diabolical.

Now thats sorted, clean your ears out, go to a dealer and start again.

Go along the lines of Rega or creek for a musical, non-fatiguing sound. Its for grown-ups. If you can't afford to do it now, still loose all the garbage you have and buy NAD's baby components for £150 each with their cheap stand mounts, usually discounted and it'll tie you over until you have the funds.

Classic system mismatch. Gratulation but you just learned something.

A

Anonymous

Drummerman, sorry but I think that's rather rude to call somebodies equipment "diabolical". Perhaps that is all the person is willing to spend on equipment and for that reason that equipment is fantastic. Just because people do not have as expensive or impressive equipment as you does not allow you to call other peoples equipment rubbish. The person asked how to change the sound without loosing all of their equipment.

If you are going to make an abrupt and arrogant comment then atleast answer the question correctly. And Rega components are beyond the price Cypher suggested. Loose your attitude and we can all have a better time on this forum.

Hughes.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]Drummerman, sorry but I think that's rather rude to call somebodies equipment "diabolical". Perhaps that is all the person is willing to spend on equipment and for that reason that equipment is fantastic. Just because people do not have as expensive or impressive equipment as you does not allow you to call other peoples equipment rubbish. The person asked how to change the sound without loosing all of their equipment.
If you are going to make an abrupt and arrogant comment then atleast answer the question correctly. And Rega components are beyond the price Cypher suggested. Loose your attitude and we can all have a better time on this forum.
Hughes

[/quote]

Funny. Feeling a bit edgy today or just the hump with me? I thought I did answer his question. It has nothing to do with money. Like I said, its a mismatched system which was probably put together without listening to it first or at least long enough. I did give an alternative which in my opinion is better and cheaper. You are taking this a bit personal and personally I think you're an idiot (today at least) but I do agree with you sometimes.

Drummerman

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="Hughes123"]Drummerman, sorry but I think that's rather rude to call somebodies equipment "diabolical". Perhaps that is all the person is willing to spend on equipment and for that reason that equipment is fantastic. Just because people do not have as expensive or impressive equipment as you does not allow you to call other peoples equipment rubbish. The person asked how to change the sound without loosing all of their equipment.

Hughes

[/quote]

Funny. Feeling a bit edgy today or just the hump with me? I thought I did answer his question. It has nothing to do with money. Like I said, its a mismatched system which was probably put together without listening to it first or at least long enough. I did give an alternative which in my opinion is better and cheaper. You are taking this a bit personal and personally I think you're an idiot (today at least) but I do agree with you sometimes.

Drummerman
[/quote]

Well I just thought it was a bit too literal. Everybody knows Rega offer superior products to Marantz and Rotel, they are just too far apart to compare. I, to quite a large extent, agree with what you are saying about a mismatched system, but I just don't think you can call people's equipment that sort of name. And I don't have a hump with you, I think your comments are right, but you put them far too blunt. I know your very knowlegeable about hi-fi equipment, just be a teeny weeny bit kinder. I'm sorry for the comment and for the breaking in equipment one... : ) : ) : ) Can we forget about it? : ) : ) : )

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"] Just because people do not have as expensive or impressive equipment as you does not allow you to call other peoples equipment rubbish[/quote]

There are many people on this forum that have systems more expensive than the ones I got at home. I have access to some very expensive gear which I can listen to regularely and whilst I would love to have some of it I am also realist enough to know that while I perhaps can afford some of it there will always be something new (or old) that may be better. So I am quite content, listen to a lot of music and have only one upgrade planned for the near future, a valve amplifier.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Oh my! What a big boy you are Drummerman! Drummers are'nt known for their intellect and subtlety are they? You could, of course, have reccommended losing some of the kit, and replacing those bits with items that match what remained. if indeed it is a mismatched system, "miss-matched" means just that. it means the parts do not work well together. But theres no reason why you couldnt do as i said in my first sentence. sometimes, its best to bang your drum on your own.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Well, at least drummerman is being honest with me. I appreciate that, really. Well, I think my system is not diabolical
emotion-2.gif
I've had the RS1 now for two months and with some recordings the sound is too bright. Maybe I'll buy other speakers, I'm not sure yet. The new Epos M5i has my interest. But thanks for the answers people
emotion-2.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="al7478"]Oh my! What a big boy you are Drummerman! Drummers are'nt known for their intellect and subtlety are they? You could, of course, have reccommended losing some of the kit, and replacing those bits with items that match what remained. if indeed it is a mismatched system, "miss-matched" means just that. it means the parts do not work well together. But theres no reason why you couldnt do as i said in my first sentence. sometimes, its best to bang your drum on your own.[/quote]

What? Tosser

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Cypher"]
Well, at least drummerman is being honest with me. I appreciate that, really. Well, I think my system is not diabolical
emotion-2.gif
I've had the RS1 now for two months and with some recordings the sound is too bright. Maybe I'll buy other speakers, I'm not sure yet. The new Epos M5i has my interest. But thanks for the answers people
emotion-2.gif

[/quote]

Yes, they are very nice speakers, although they are still bright in some respects. What about PMC?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
ok folks, so you can all gang up on me on account of the fact ya got rythm, or you can look at the actual substance of what i said, which served only to echo the original criticism of drummerman. who, it seems, continues to show himself in the best possible light.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="al7478"]ok folks, so you can all gang up on me on account of the fact ya got rythm, or you can look at the actual substance of what i said, which served only to echo the original criticism of drummerman. who, it seems, continues to show himself in the best possible light[/quote]

Lighten up pal. Nobody's 'ganging' up on you and I am very well able to fend my own corner. I usually back it up with sound argument but your last posting left me ... well ... almost... speachless. Still, we got an animated conversation going and one which, I may add, is more interesting than some of the postings.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
no, dont take the ganging up comment too seriously "pal". i guess it didnt read too well. your "tosser" comment, on the other hand, isnt really open to interpretation, and i only pointed out - and i wasnt the first - the error of your ways. read my post again - minus the cheap shots (which you deserved) and itll make sense. you gave sill advice. simple as that.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"] Still, we got an animated conversation going and one which, I may add, is more interesting than some of the postings.[/quote]

...that was what I was talking about....it may be true, but you don't need to state it. I can tell you're a smart guy, just make us think your a smart guy without an attitude problem! : ) And al, drummer's arn't dim...well I hope I'm not anyway! : ) : ) : )

The funniest thing of all? We're all right...and al you we're right, but as I said to Drummerman, post your argument in a way that it does not offend too much!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]Hughes123 - drummers are'nt dim? Maybe not, but they could have more of a sense of humour ;)[/quote]

Was that in referral to drummerman or me or both of us?

A

Anonymous

Ahem, ermm... Drummerman, could I respectfully advise you to edit one of your previous posts before you-know-who arrives on the scene. I (and others I'm sure) would hate to be without your advise in future, albeit on the cantankerous side occasionally. Forgive me if I'm overstretching here...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts