Rotel 04SE or Marantz 6003 for B&W 685

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having decided for B&W 685 speakers Im now facing the problem with amp decision.

Since I cant compare the amps side by side without buying them both Im curious what people here thinks.
Ive read that some think rotel is too bright and a bad match for B&W but it seems to be the most common partnering.

I listen mostly on housemusic, dnb and dubstep, but also rock.

Any experience?

surferpat:
Having decided for B&W 685 speakers Im now facing the problem with amp decision.

Since I cant compare the amps side by side without buying them both Im curious what people here thinks.
Ive read that some think rotel is too bright and a bad match for B&W but it seems to be the most common partnering.

I listen mostly on housemusic, dnb and dubstep, but also rock.

Any experience?

Hi surferpat

You should also consider the NAD C326BEE and Yamaha's A-S500. I've heard all four with the 685's and the A-S500 is easily the best of the bunch followed by the C3236BEE, RA-04SE and PM6003.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I would go for the PM6003. I think the RA-04SE is a bit too aggressive sounding. The PM6003 also has a better midrange.

I would also look at the Yamaha A-S500
emotion-1.gif

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I use the 685s with the marantz and they sound fantastic together.

A class combination.

"So capable is the PM6003, in fact, that it's forced a couple of very well regarded rivals down to four-star status and (just about) fended off an extremely spirited challenge from Rotel in the shape of the RA-04SE." WHFS&V

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:Personally I think the Rotel makes the best match with B&W 600 series speakers. It seems to grip the 685s better than the Marantz.
The two are designed to work together, and while some people think the combination is a little forward sounding in the treble, I've always found that the Rotel amplifiers do give the B&W's some kick - something which not many budget amplifiers do. Most amps just can't control the bass of the B&W's.

Dalesman:I use the 685s with the marantz and they sound fantastic together.

A class combination.

"So capable is the PM6003, in fact, that it's forced a couple of very well regarded rivals down to four-star status and (just about) fended off an extremely spirited challenge from Rotel in the shape of the RA-04SE." WHFS&V

Hi dalesman

The new A-S500 now takes performance to a higher level (even with the 685's).
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
In the review of the A-S500 things like 'upfront balance' and 'enthusiastic treble' were mentioned.
That worries me a bit. I hope this will not cause listener fatigue.

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Rick@Musicraft

You are probably correct Rick but I'm using the PM6003 with the CD6003 and they work together and look gorgeous too,therefore I'm well pleased for now.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
We have the AS500, PM6003, and RA04se on demo (and the 685's), so if you'd like me to do a direct comparison at any point, just let me know. I still feel the RA04se would be the better match overall. Don't worry Cypher, the Marantz works well too - in fact, the Marantz amps are the nearest I've found to the Rotels in the budget sector
emotion-1.gif

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Frank,

do you think the A-S500 has an upfront balance and enthousiastic treble ? Will this cause any problems do you think ?

Thanks.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Cypher. Is this to replace your Marantz to drive your Neutrons?

Just curious as the Neutrons (along with 2 others) are high on the list for my imminent speaker upgrade, which also will be powered by the Marantz. This too will be upgraded in due course but probably not for several months to be honest, so are you looking to the Yamaha just for the greater power to drive your speakers or are you in some way dissatisfied with the way your current amp performs?

This isn't to influence any decision I make regarding my choice of speaker as I'm looking further ahead to when I do upgrade my amp(s!), but I'm just interested in your opinion as I will be in the same boat in a few months!

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
At the moment I have a Marantz PM8003 amp which is great. It drives the Neutron speakers with ease. I had the PM6003 amp which also drove the neutrons with
no problems at all. The PM6003 has enough power to drive most speakers I think.

When an amp like the A-S500 wins an award I get curious. I just wonder if it would be better than my current amp ;) I'm going to audition it in a couple of weeks time.

matthewpiano

Cypher:At the moment I have a Marantz PM8003 amp which is great. It drives the Neutron speakers with ease. I had the PM6003 amp which also drove the neutrons with
no problems at all. The PM6003 has enough power to drive most speakers I think.

When an amp like the A-S500 wins an award I get curious. I just wonder if it would be better than my current amp ;) I'm going to audition it in a couple of weeks time.

Don't even be tempted. Change for change's sake and, as RS suggests, probably a downgrade. I had an A-S700 for a while and though it was very competent the PM6003 is a better amp IMO.

T

the record spot

I've no doubt the Yammie's good, but given the PM8003 is £800's-worth of amp and the Yamaha AS1000 amp, which is around the same price. I doubt Yamaha would make a £300 amp that'd outgun (and by the write-up, I doubt it does) it's bigger stablemate.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
It sounds more like a sideways move, but then again, I wasn't overly impressed by the pm8003,while pleasant and an easy listen it just didn't have enough detail for my liking. I Don't think it is good value at 800 pounds as I found amps costing less that provided more of what I wanted. Where I am it sold for about 620 pounds at the current exchange rates and I found amps around the 400 pound mark that gave me better detail without being clinical.

I would agree that as good as the Yamaha may be, you'd be better off saving for something that is a substantial upgrade. I notice that the s700 seems to be selling here for around 400 pounds and then there is a big leap up to the s1000 for about 950 pounds.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I'm not doing anything at the moment. I'm just going to listen to the A-S500 to see what all the fuzz is about
emotion-1.gif

The PM8003 isn't that much better than the PM6003 though, it sounds almost the same. You hear it has more power but overall it isn't a big improvement like you expect. I bought it brandnew for 600 euro so that can't be a bad thing ;)

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
To my mind once you've passed the £300 mark there seems to be a dearth of amps (at least well thought of ones) until you hit 750+, which to me is one hell of a jump.

I am by no means a hifi expert, but apart from the Rega Mira 3 I honestly cannot recall having read/heard a truly good recommendation for an amp in the £350-£750 price bracket (I'm sure someone will prove me wrong!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts