Room acoustic

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello everybody, as I am getting serious about this hobby and starting to spend some money on it, I want to make sure the speaker positioning is at least optimised with my room in the limits of possible (girlfriend rules here).

Unfortunately as you can se from the picture there is not a lot of space around...but for now that's my living room and I have to cope with that. The brown black boxes are of course the speakers (floorstanding).

The room is about 18sqm. How would you position the speakers and or furniture in order to get the best acoustic? Ceiling is almost 3 meters...and the entry is an open arch with direct access to doorway...

Thanks!!!

living%252520room-1.jpg

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
It looks like you're a bit limited by having the corner-style settee that can only really go in the corner it is now.

I'd move the dining table against the top wall, sideways, where the settee is now. It currently dominates the room positionally.

I'd change the settee to a standard settee and individual armchairs, put in middle of room pointing them towards the bottom wall.

Move your desk/computer to where the bookshelf is on the top wall.

I'd put the speakers on the bottom wall, either side of amp etc that would be in centre of bottom wall, so they point firstly towards the settee and armchairs, and then beyond to the dining table.

If you can, when your girlfriend is away, change it all around as a trial, see how it looks/sounds, then keep (as better) or change back. If it works, then you can start shopping for a new settee.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
It looks like you're a bit limited by having the corner-style settee that can only really go in the corner it is now.

I'd move the dining table against the top wall, sideways, where the settee is now. It currently dominates the room positionally.

I'd change the settee to a standard settee and individual armchairs, put in middle of room pointing them towards the bottom wall.

Move your desk/computer to where the bookshelf is on the top wall.

I'd put the speakers on the bottom wall, either side of amp etc that would be in centre of bottom wall, so they point firstly towards the settee and armchairs, and then beyond to the dining table.

If you can, when your girlfriend is away, change it all around as a trial, see how it looks/sounds, then keep (as better) or change back. If it works, then you can start shopping for a new settee.

Ehy, thanks for the advices, it all makes sense to me. You are right about the sofa. I could actually disassemble it and assemble the "meridiana" (not sure what's the name in English) on the other side so it could go on the other side as well (where the bookshelf is now)...but have to check with the lenght as it might not fit...

For the rest yes, the table is huge and it basically hides a comfortably listening position from every corner...

I will try to do the changes when my gf is away and check it if makes sense or not. Sofa is so convenient when we have guests as it becomes a double bed. Next house I want at least 120sqm so I won't have this kind of problems!!! :rockout:

TRENDING THREADS