Room 101

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
The menus and holding systems that many companies have when you call up - I don't wish to be directed to the website for GDPR purposes, nor do I care how much you tell me my call is important to you*. If it was, someone could answer it. (I ring when things are important for the same reason I sometimes use letters - emails etc don't seem to be treated with the same gravitas or urgency.)

* Had one the other day which said that my call was important, but no-one was free right now so I should call back later - after which it went dead. Can't tell you how important that made me feel!

Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr

Gray

...following on from the above:
So often, when you do get to talk to an advisor, they cannot or will not help you.

Then they end by asking, "is there anything else I can help you with today?"
I always, respectfully ask "anything else?"
I ask them to reflect on the call and the fact that they haven't helped me in any way whatsoever.
I'm not naive enough to think that they always record calls - but always invite them to use my calls for training purposes.

jjbomber

Most MPG and least damage to your car. I always use Shell.

How did this happen? I was in a garage and a guy pulled up with a fault with his car. The owner said he knew what the problem was; the guy used supermarket fuel. The driver confirmed he did. The part was £300+VAT with labour on top. The owner of the garage told him to use Shell in future. Much cheaper than repairing the car!

How did this happen? I was in a garage and a guy pulled up with a fault with his car. The owner said he knew what the problem was; the guy used supermarket fuel. The driver confirmed he did. The part was £300+VAT with labour on top. The owner of the garage told him to use Shell in future. Much cheaper than repairing the car!
Unless his car needed some weird additive or was the wrong rating of fuel I find this very implausible......
The supermarkets get their fuel from major fuel refineries and this might include Shell.....

WayneKerr

Sounds like the beginning of a cable thread :)

Amazon.fr. Bought the French version of The Man Who Wasn't There on blu ray as there's no UK release. When viewing in English, the subtitles cannot be turned off. Very irritating. Posted this as my review and Amazon.fr rejected it. I cannot say what I really think as rules forbid...

The combination of Sainsbury's and Tyrrell's crisps - asking £2.75 for a larger bag of the latter's chili crisps. They were an essential item as far as I was concerned (bought whenever possible in periodic half price deals), but if that sticks I'm going to reluctantly have to seek an inferior alternative.
They are on offer at the moment. Offer used to be half price, now it's £2 against £2.75, a 50% increase, give or take. Will just have to fill my boots when they are on offer.

Not that they do my flavour, but the same bags are £2.90 in the local Co-op. Eek. Still, they are doing four tins of Heinz tomato soup for £3.50 at the moment, so boot-filling called for here too.

Similarly, vegetarians and vegans have no right to tell meat eaters what they should and shouldn't eat, in their holier than thou way.
Missed this before. I've been a veggie my entire adult life, and have no view whatever on what others eat. Our kids were raised as omnivores - one still is and the other's vegan. They made their own calls - something that's difficult to do if you are raised avoiding something.

Preachiness can be a very unattractive trait, but I think it's inaccurate to assume that all who avoid meat have it.

Friesiansam

Preachiness can be a very unattractive trait, but I think it's inaccurate to assume that all who avoid meat have it.
I don't but, we all know that some do and, that some of those people push it very hard, because they think being vegan, makes them better than other people.

On the other hand, my step daughter is a "nearly vegan" and she is definitely not preachy.

makes them better than other people.
I'd suggest this is true of any 'moral' stance, from politics to faith to whatever. Nothing special about diet.

I recall years ago at another forum seeing someone express the view that he hated vegetarians. Seemed (and still seems) odd to hate someone for something they choose not to do. Turns out he meant preachy vegetarians, which is another thing. I think that sometimes we object more to preachy vegetarians than preachers of other kinds because humans struggle to rationalise our attitudes and actions towards animals. There's a fascinating book called 'Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat', which is about trying to rationalise how we think about these relationships. The author is definitely not pushing vegetarianism.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts