What are your pet hates? It could be anything from a taste, smell, lane hoggers on motorways... anything that really gets your back up.

I hate with a passion is text speak. When you have a face-to-face conversation with someone. For example:

You say to someone I lost a winning lottery ticket, and instead of them responding "oh my God, that's awful", they go OMG. This really turns a mild mannered individual like me into a raging bull.

One of Mrs. Ps,hate is the word "flavoursome" when referring to food or drink.

As I've got older, I find it's life's discourtesies that irk me - tailgating*, speaking too loudly so everyone else has to hear your conversation etc etc. Oh, and the selfie/selfie stick. Why go somewhere beautiful/interesting only to plaster your fizzog all over it? Baffling and irritating in equal measure!

*The two automotive unforgivable sins are tailgating a learner and the able-bodied using a disabled parking space.

Gray

Absolutely detest the modern use of the word 'so' - usually used to begin an answer to a question, by educated types.
I'm surprised that broadcasters don't give some pre interview guidance against it.

Posts on this forum sometimes begin with 'so'....
Should be in the rules: 'Such posts will not be deleted, but are likely to be ignored'.

Absolutely detest the modern use of the word 'so' - usually used to begin an answer to a question, by educated types.
I'm surprised that broadcasters don't give some pre interview guidance against it.

Should be in the rules: 'Such posts will not be deleted, but are likely to be ignored'.
I'm to blame in that respect. To be fair I rarely start a sentence with 'so'.

Friesiansam

Missed this one earlier. I was tempted to answer; So what? However, it annoys me too.

Reactions: Gray

Friesiansam

Following on from the “so” reply:

The general misuse of the English language, much of it imported from across The Pond. For example, gift, you don’t gift something to someone else, you give it. Another misuse that really annoys me, is the way unique is used now. Something is not a bit unique, so unique or very unique, it is either unique, or it is not, there are no degrees of uniqueness.

I’ll stop there, if I try to go through the lot, I’ll wear a hole in my iPad screen!

I'd say it has shaped the present, and will only do so to a greater degree in the future. But it's not all bad - humanity just isn't mature enough to use the internet properly I suspect. And without regulation, that may never happen.

But Wikipedia, internet shopping & banking (and every other service you use being available online), video calls rather than having to make a physical journey, the easy access to information that would otherwise have taken spending lots of time in phone queues, not to mention forums - we'd miss an enormous amount if the clock was wound back.

Last edited:
True, but at least there’s some control over television - the internet is a free for all.
The biggest problem I have with the internet, apart from finding the 'On'/'Off' button, is people tend to lose the old fashioned art of communication. Which takes me back to the opening post and hate for text speak. Are people no longer capable of stringing a couple of sentences together?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts