Room 101

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
The biggest problem I have with the internet, apart from finding the 'On'/'Off' button, is people tend to lose the old fashioned art of communication. Which takes me back to the opening post and hate for text speak. Are people no longer capable of stringing a couple of sentences together?
True. We’ll soon see a generation of hump backed pensioners with useless hands/fingers due to excessive phone useage, and as you say, no idea how to engage with people. I think we’ll also see a more angry generation in the kids currently growing up, with the amount of hate and negativity they see on social media, who will also believe in some of the craziest things, because they “saw it on the Internet” that’s just full of fake crap.

Is it any worse than TV? That was creating 'stinking thinking' long before the internet.
I read a book called Everything Bad is Good for You this year - it's about popular culture and its positive effects. I've always taken a dim view of computer games, but the section on them is pretty compelling about how complex they are now - in comparison with the likes of Frogger etc that I grew up with.

It's the same with some TV - yes, there's a hell of a lot of rubbish, but that's always been the case - but the author examines how much more complex plotlines have become, how much more interlinked characters are in changeable relationships, and how story arcs now run from series to series, rather than being resolved within each tidy, self-contained episode.

It's reckoned that this contributes to the Flynn effect, as does the fact that our education system deals much more with concept than it did in the distant past.

I think the issue with TV and the internet is that people are not necessarily very discerning. Not much you can do about that!

people tend to lose the old fashioned art of communication. Which takes me back to the opening post and hate for text speak. Are people no longer capable of stringing a couple of sentences together?
I wonder if some of that is down to the generally monosyllabic nature of being a teenager? I suspect we might have been more that way than we readily recall. here was a piece in Science Focus a way back on a study that demonstrated that those who were best able to use text in yoof ways were also the best at using the rules of language proper.

Friesiansam

tenor.gif

Reactions: 12th Monkey
Advertising ( of any kind).
(After several years away from it, I've just made the mistake of switching to Jazz FM - plays great music, but ruined by ads.
When they read the small print at the end of them 🤬).
The nature of modern society - make money wherever you can. If someone can sell advertising space somewhere, however odd, they will. It made me laugh watching Ready Player One, when Sorrento stated in a meeting that they could sell up to 80% of a gamer’s vision in the immersive world of the Oasis before they started complaining. What HiFi have literally done the very same thing on these forums in the past! :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr
I wonder if some of that is down to the generally monosyllabic nature of being a teenager? I suspect we might have been more that way than we readily recall. here was a piece in Science Focus a way back on a study that demonstrated that those who were best able to use text in yoof ways were also the best at using the rules of language proper.
It's possible, but since I've become more reliant on the PC & Smartphone I struggle to physically write a letter with a pen & paper. I've never had any learning difficulties...

Gray

Yeah, I can see that.

Isn't Rylan Clark whatshisface more irritating? How can someone so talentless be so famous? His fake teeth, cosmetic surgery to his chops...

Just the sight and sound of him turns my stomach
He ticks an inclusiveness box for the broadcasters.
Unfortunately, such box ticking often serves to exclude genuine talent.

TRENDING THREADS