Room 101

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
The internet.

Not the forum as it's great vehicle for anyone needing help or advice (me at times).

I've been bombarded with rubbish. I keep getting this actor, singer or famous celebrity has either died or seriously ill or have a drug problem. It's carefully narrated by some American. And the photos they display you can see have been tampered with or someone who looks vaguely like the said personality.

Don't get why they do it.

Yours Mr. Angry

Gray

I've been bombarded with rubbish.
What by e-mail?
Are they asking for money?
Not suggesting you're a mug, but do you think you might be on one of those, so called 'mugs lists'?

I came late to the necessary evil of computers - and my first smartphone.
I reject all unnecessary cookies and have never clicked on any advert. I'm not naive enough to think I'm not being followed by cookies - but with me, they must wish they hadn't bothered.

I'm never complacent, I hear stories of clever scammers taking people for thousands.
But good luck to anyone that scams as much as a penny out of me, because they will have earned it, that's for sure.

What by e-mail?
Are they asking for money?
Not suggesting you're a mug, but do you think you might be on one of those, so called 'mugs lists'?

I came late to the necessary evil of computers - and my first smartphone.
I reject all unnecessary cookies and have never clicked on any advert. I'm not naive enough to think I'm not being followed by cookies - but with me, they must wish they hadn't bothered.

I'm never complacent, I hear stories of clever scammers taking people for thousands.
But good luck to anyone that scams as much as a penny out of me, because they will have earned it, that's for sure.
No, not asked for money. They are nuisance reminders, like YouTube stories of famous people either dying or disabled or become addicted to drugs. All comments on these little fake films are blocked. In reality these famous people are fine. I'll paste the next one across. I seem to get at least one a day, sometimes more.

Reactions: Gray
No, not asked for money. They are nuisance reminders, like YouTube stories of famous people either dying or disabled or become addicted to drugs. All comments on these little fake films are blocked. In reality these famous people are fine. I'll paste the next one across. I seem to get at least one a day, sometimes more.
Do you mean like the ones titled something like, “If you saw how (insert celebrity here) was living now, you’d cry”, and they show a photo of the celeb which has been aged and over sharpened to make them look really old.

Problem is, the internet isn’t policed. It’s left to its own devices, which is why it’s a cesspool of click bait fakery. Imagine the kids who spend all their time online growing up with this, what sort of mental state are they going to be in in 10-20 years time? God knows what they’ll perceive as truth and reality.

Last edited:
Do you mean like the ones titled something like, “If you saw how (insert celebrity here) was living now, you’d cry”, and they show a photo of the celeb which has been aged and over sharpened to make them look really old.

Problem is, the internet isn’t policed. It’s left to its own devices, which is why it’s a cesspool of click bait fakery. Imagine the kids who spend all their time online growing up with this, what sort of mental state are they going to be in in 10-20 years time? God knows what they’ll perceive as truth and reality.
Yes, they normally start with "there is sad news about blah blah blah..." then they'll put a image of this person of now and then.

One yesterday was Tina Turner. Clearly the so-called recent person isn't Ms Turner. Only the hair is vaguely similar, but it's fakery of the worst kind. It didn't open it I just swiped it away.

It's irritating at best. Lord knows what these celebrities would think if it came up on their phones. So incredibly disrespectful to those famous people.

Film or TV remakes. A few examples:

Get Carter
Dad's Army (2016)
Upstairs, Downstairs
The Ladykillers
The Italian Job

With the exception of Dad's Army and Upstairs, Downstairs, all the others above are US made. Remakes in general just don't work.
I'd agree generally, and specifically about the US tendency to see such things as cash cows. But there are rare exceptions - Red Dragon is massively better than Manhunter, for example.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts