Room 101

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Not being able to remember what it was, that I had intended to post here but, posted in the wrong thread.

Short-term memory loss, a frequent bane of my life and, very annoying and frustrating...
Fortunately, I recorded it for posterity.....
You wrote....
"A new annoyance. Idiots who think road closed and diversion signs, don't apply to them. Morons ignore the signs, then arrive at the closure in the village. They then have to either, turn around and go back or, drive down a lane just wide enough for a large van, much of which is in a cutting with zero room to pass. The lane is usually good for dog walking as hardly anyone drives down there. Now it is completely unusable due to the idiots clogging it up, as they struggle to pass in the very few spaces available. There is a much more suitable diversion in place..."

Hopefully, memory will improve.

Reactions: Friesiansam
Fortunately, I recorded it for posterity.....
You wrote....
"A new annoyance. Idiots who think road closed and diversion signs, don't apply to them. Morons ignore the signs, then arrive at the closure in the village. They then have to either, turn around and go back or, drive down a lane just wide enough for a large van, much of which is in a cutting with zero room to pass. The lane is usually good for dog walking as hardly anyone drives down there. Now it is completely unusable due to the idiots clogging it up, as they struggle to pass in the very few spaces available. There is a much more suitable diversion in place..."

Hopefully, memory will improve.
We get exactly that in our village. We also get jerks too impatient to wait. If I'm letting someone up a narrow street, some idiot in a Chelsea tractor will just charge pass me and block the road.

I swear one day I'll hire the biggest JCB and plough into these impatient parasites

Reactions: Friesiansam

Gray

Poor spelling by non-Dyslexic people.
As in:
'there speakers sound like there underwater'
(For such people 'too much' will always be 'to much' and 'you're' just has to be 'your').

They will say say such things are irrelevant, but there not :sneaky:

Reactions: WayneKerr
Internet headline writers, including 'proper' channels. The difference between this headline and the ensuing story is, frankly, a bit embarrassing:

Alzheimer's drug lecanemab hailed as momentous breakthrough - BBC News
Facts rarely seem to come into news stories nowadays, and I agree, headlines are becoming increasingly detached from the actual story presented. I also hate the way more and more “news stories” consist of a couple of lines or a paragraph, and the rest of it is fleshed out with quotes from plebs on Twitter - like we care what some nobody has to say about the story! The only thing I can think of is that these writers pare out of a job if they stop writing for 30 seconds.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

I agree in general about the standards of headline writing but, there is this “Alzheimer's Research UK said the findings were "momentous".” in the article, so the headline is not entirely inappropriate.
Indeed. There was probably more optimism expressed by others in the BBC story that I read - the reporter gave the usual caveats (they always do).
Those that read beyond the headlines do it for a reason.

I agree in general about the standards of headline writing but, there is this “Alzheimer's Research UK said the findings were "momentous".” in the article, so the headline is not entirely inappropriate.
I understand the point - though the article states that the paper suggests it would only be helpful in very early-stage cases, most of which are missed, and that decline was still evident but slowed just a little. Even if the headline was 'legitimate' in quoting elsewhere, I suspect that most who read the headline and then the story would feel just a little underwhelmed.

FWIW, I also read it for a reason, as my dad suffers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts