roksan kandy or cyrus setup?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
ello guys and girls,

i've been thinking of getting the roksan kandy cd and amp, to partner my mordaunt short mezzo 6's. i've auditioned them and loved them. then i read the review for the new cyrus cd6se and the doubts appeared in my noggin. if the cyrus cd is that good, i could well be tempted, but how good is the cyrus 8vs2 amp? is it better enough to justify the extra £300 over the roksan. if not, do the roksan amp and cyrus player make good bed-fellows?

also, how does cyrus gear sound? i like my sound to be as neutral as possible, that's what i liked about the kandy.

A

Anonymous

If neutrality is what you are after, I wouldn't go pairing Cyrus gear with the Mezzo's...

To get the best from the Cyrus I've found your best pairing them, so if I was you I'd go for the Kandy's...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bretty: ....i've auditioned them and loved them.

This is all that really matters.

There will always be something "better" coming along soon, or just reviewed or "flavour of the month" to induce doubts.

You are very lucky to have found a combination of equipment that you love the sound of. This situation eludes so many people for so long.

Buy them, be happy and stay away from hifi mags/reviews etc.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd normally agree with that, but feel the Cyrus players are in such a different league that anyone thinking of spending that sort of money on a CD player owes to themselves to at least have a demo...

And don't think because you've heard Cyrus kit before you know what these players sound like - apart from the speed/detail that the company's players have always had, they're in a different class.

But the Roksans remain superb kit - and with the Mk2 Kandys just out (we've got the review of both amp and CD player in our next issue) it's a great time to be auditioning all your options.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
thanks for the responses, guys.

one point that wasn't touched on in the replies, though, was the comparison between the kandy and cyrus amps. is the cyrus better than the roksan? if no, do cyrus cdp and roksan amp go well together?

A

Anonymous

No, they don't. I had a CD8X paired with my LIII and they were rather strange bedfellows. When it comes to Cyrus, stick with Cyrus partners (IMO).

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
EvilWolf:No, they don't. I had a CD8X paired with my LIII and they were rather strange bedfellows. When it comes to Cyrus, stick with Cyrus partners (IMO).

thanks. i see you've still got the L3, so you think it's better than the cyrus?

A

Anonymous

The cyrus is awesome, In my opinion in beats the Roksan L3 handsdown. I found the L3 amp a little bland and is in no way as revealing as the 8vs2. There are some very good deals to be had at the moment, I just got an 8vs2 with CD6S for £950! It really is worth an audition!

I'm home testing a pair of B&W 684's and they sound good, but to be honest, not sure they're good enough for the cyrus. I'm swapping them out for Dali Ikon 5's & 6's this week to see if they are much better.

Good luck and enjoy the demos...if you're not sure why don't you take your speakers to the dealers to see how they work together?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
dasherdiablo1:
The cyrus is awesome, In my opinion in beats the Roksan L3 handsdown. I found the L3 amp a little bland and is in no way as revealing as the 8vs2. There are some very good deals to be had at the moment, I just got an 8vs2 with CD6S for £950! It really is worth an audition!

I'm home testing a pair of B&W 684's and they sound good, but to be honest, not sure they're good enough for the cyrus. I'm swapping them out for Dali Ikon 5's & 6's this week to see if they are much better.

Good luck and enjoy the demos...if you're not sure why don't you take your speakers to the dealers to see how they work together?

Imo the cyrus'es are musical and satisfying where Arcams new FMJ's are pedestrian and a bit lack lustre. To get absolute neutrality you have to spend more in either case but you'll soon adjust to the latters easy going nature. Question is, will it be enough in the long run?

A

Anonymous

It did not suit my system. The Rega was a better fit for me.
If it was a Cyrus pairing - CD8x/CD8SE + 8SV2, I would go for it. These are fantastic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts