Roksan kandy K2

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm wondering how good the Roksan kandy K2 is,my system contains Rotel RCD 1072 ,RA-1062 and wharfedale Emerald 97 IV

but ,its very bright,harsh especially vioices makes very sharp ssss-sounds,

should the Roksan kandy combo (cd+amp)cure my problems or is the Roksan as bright as Rotel ,would like an overal smother sound

Read about the kandy combo ,but there are different opinions whether it's bright or not

sorry about the language,swedish

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
There was a post about Roksan Kandy 2 a day or 2 ago, from what some people say no the RK2 would not be for you. If you can wait see the Arcam amp in next months WHF reviews that maybe one, Arcam gen. sound fairly warm or NAD or Marantz.

dumbledore

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Tobber61 said:

Coild be just faulty speaker. I would check the tweeters they may have gone out of spec and dying. Look to see if both speaker exhibit same symptoms.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi

My experience with Rotel (RA-01) is that they're on the bright side of neutral. Before I bought the Kandy K2 combo, the sound was rather bright. Together with my CA 640C I had the annoying sssss..... on voices and metallic sounds such as cymbals and steel strung guitars would be a little piercing.

Took a fair amount of time and thought on how to sort it and didn't really know what component to change. Eventually took a bold move and bought the Roksan Kandy K2 amp and CD player. Sounds great now with my Dali Lektor 2s.

I think the Roksan K2 combo would improve your sound and smooth it out. Try and get a home demo if you can to hear how it sounds with your speakers.

Tobber61 said:
I'm wondering how good the Roksan kandy K2 is,my system contains Rotel RCD 1072 ,RA-1062 and wharfedale Emerald 97 IV

should the Roksan kandy combo (cd+amp)cure my problems or is the Roksan as bright as Rotel ,would like an overal smother sound

Read about the kandy combo ,but there are different opinions whether it's bright or not

sorry about the language,swedish

I would say the speakers aren't of the quality required for the Rotel or Roksan.

I've owned Wharfedale speakers since 1980 and found for every two models made that are fabulous, they do produce the occasional speaker that is specifically designed for disco levels and not hi-fi. I've not heard your Wharfedales but would guess they would fall into the latter catagory.

FWIW I would take them along to a dealer and test them against B&W or Epos or Q Acoustics and see whether I'm right or talking total nonsense.

A

Anonymous

it is actually 619

like it very much,and still very new.

A

Anonymous

I´ve been thinking of Marantz as well,richiesuk ,I saw that you had the Cd6004 in your set up,did you compare it to the more expensive Ki pearl lite cdplayer

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If you're seriously thinking of changing to the Roksan pair, you're obviously prepared to spend quite a bit. So for that kind of money you could get some really serious speakers. I think you'd find this a better way to go.

For a £750 / so called 125Wppc amp the roksan disappointed.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
While I'm getting great results with the K2 combo and my Dali Lektor's, I do agree with richardw42 that maybe a really good pair of speakers would tame the brightness and bring out the best in the Rotels. I was considering that move for my CA Azur 640 and Rotel RA-01.

It's all about matching equipment and considering you have matching amp and CD player prehaps a pair of B&W 685's or CM1's would do.I've heard that Rotel and B&W have a good synergy.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advices ,i'll be listening to à pair of B&W 684 tomorrow

I don't know which way to go yet

regards

Tobbe

danrv said:
While I'm getting great results with the K2 combo and my Dali Lektor's, I do agree with richardw42 that maybe a really good pair of speakers would tame the brightness and bring out the best in the Rotels. I was considering that move for my CA Azur 640 and Rotel RA-01.

It's all about matching equipment and considering you have matching amp and CD player prehaps a pair of B&W 685's or CM1's would do.I've heard that Rotel and B&W have a good synergy.

Ahem... look at my post. yet again my posts get ignored.

danrv said:
Sorry PP. Should have mentioned you in my post.

No problem.

Wharfedale used to produce ranges like a bottle factory, some ranges, like the Diamonds, were/are fabulous, while other ranges were designed with a specific brief.

A lot of this was kick-started by the 'E' range of the mid 70s. They were never originally designed for the domestic market. Rank Organisation, along with competitors, were designing high power speakers for cinemas. From that Wharfedale designed the E 90. They were big. Very BIG. You could practically land a Jumbo jet on them, and the slightly smaller E 70 and 50. Wharfedale pitched them, according to the Rank "suits", to compete with high-end Quad speakers of the day.

They had two major drawbacks: Firstly they had high dbs (my E20 are 97db) and the tag line, from memory, was: Want to entertain the neighbourhood? The 'E' series from Wharfedale is the choice.

The other sonic snag, according to some reviews at the time, was rubbish timing and imaging. This was mainly due to the shear amount of drivers they had, hence why I chose the entry-level version. They were THE speaker of their day: Wouldn't compete with decent speakers of today but they were a revelation at the time.

Sorry for boring the pants off you. :poke:

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the Roksan Kandy and ROTEL RCD-1520 CDP and they move my MISSION MX5 superbly , I demoed the Kandy with more expensive speakers

such as Proac Studio 140 and Sonus Faber Toy Tower act. and the results were always good. It is neutral and warm amp with a lots of raw power .

gatlaw

Nov 24, 2023
Visit site
I would say the speakers aren't of the quality required for the Rotel or Roksan.

I've owned Wharfedale speakers since 1980 and found for every two models made that are fabulous, they do produce the occasional speaker that is specifically designed for disco levels and not hi-fi. I've not heard your Wharfedales but would guess they would fall into the latter catagory.

FWIW I would take them along to a dealer and test them against B&W or Epos or Q Acoustics and see whether I'm right or talking total nonsense.
I own several varieties of WHARFEDALE Emerald series speakers, 91, 95, 97 and 99. Also have Diamond Anniversary 7.2s , a pair of Sapphire 88s, crystal 20s. and a couple of Emerald center speakers. I think the Emerald speakers are amazing...clarity and soundstage, deep bass and sharp highs...not to mention extremely low price...though they are from the 1990s an early 2000s. Anyone with experience with the EM91s? I have owned Carver cube amplifier, Fischer 700t, multiple Pioneer silver series, Onkyo and Nakamichi, Phillips cassette deck, Tascam reel to reel, Ohm, Boston Acoustic, AR 2a (vintage), Allison, Akai computer receiver, Kenwood, Sony headphones...

I own several varieties of WHARFEDALE Emerald series speakers, 91, 95, 97 and 99. Also have Diamond Anniversary 7.2s , a pair of Sapphire 88s, crystal 20s. and a couple of Emerald center speakers. I think the Emerald speakers are amazing...clarity and soundstage, deep bass and sharp highs...not to mention extremely low price...though they are from the 1990s an early 2000s. Anyone with experience with the EM91s? I have owned Carver cube amplifier, Fischer 700t, multiple Pioneer silver series, Onkyo and Nakamichi, Phillips cassette deck, Tascam reel to reel, Ohm, Boston Acoustic, AR 2a (vintage), Allison, Akai computer receiver, Kenwood, Sony headphones...
Please start a new thread rather than digging up ancient ones if you want better response....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts