ROKSAN KANDY K2 or CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 840A

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi ,

I want to buy a new amp to my system I narrow my choices to ROKSAN KANDY K2 and CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 840A .

They costs aprox the same and have similar specifications , I read a lots of recomendations for ROKSAN KANDY K2

and much less for CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 840A .

Please help... :quest: :quest: :quest:

:help:

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I have the Cambridge Audio 840A V2 and am very happy with it. It drives my Magneplanar MG12's without breaking a sweat and the Maggies are fairly difficult speakers to drive. The sound is smooth and detailed with a taut bass. Which speakers are you intending to use with the Cambridge?

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I have MISSIOM MX5 , sellers told me that CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 740a or 650A are enough for them , but I want to upgrade them

in the future withot upgrading again the amp .

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
the 650A is nice but you will maybe add a sub if you feel the bass isn't as heavy as Kandy. 840A not heard but more power can't hurt, I like the detail given by the 650a and I attenuate the bass with a sub.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a sub for my 7.1 system , but I don't want to use him for stereo music ROKSAN KANDY K2's bass is much better

than CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 840A or 740A ?

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I think both amps are stocked by richer sounds. I have the 840A v2 and am very pleased with it. Not heard the Kandy but you should be able to demo side by side at RS.

The power of the 840 is obvious even at lower volumes and makes for a very detailed and spacious listening experience.

Personally, I think it will come down to the equipment you partner it with.

good luck tonky

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
+1 for the 840A, but snap one up quick for £500 as they are going out of production. The replacement 851A is a lot more, about £1200 I think. Get the extended warranty though as CA kit whilst being very good, can be unreliable.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
£500 is a great price. A snip!

I would have liked to have heard the Kandy. I am sure it's a great amp. Both amps will have different tonal balances.I wouldn't say the 840A is lean and/or brittle. It is clear, explicit with a great sense of space (which is something I really like).

You have a listen to both and tell us what you think.

cheers Tonky

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
To balance this poll out a little, +1 for Kandy K2. Super smooth detailed but full of punch. No raggedy over lean brightness here.

The 840A is definitely not lean or bright. The Maggies I use them with are very revealing speakers and any overt brightness would be ruthlessly exposed. I'm not saying that the 840A is a warm sounding amp, just very neutral. I've never heard the Kandy K2, so can't comment on it's sound quality. It would be best to do a direct comparison between the two and then make up your mind.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Sabby said:
SteveR750 said:
To balance this poll out a little, +1 for Kandy K2. Super smooth detailed but full of punch. No raggedy over lean brightness here.

The 840A is definitely not lean or bright. The Maggies I use them with are very revealing speakers and any overt brightness would be ruthlessly exposed. I'm not saying that the 840A is a warm sounding amp, just very neutral. I've never heard the Kandy K2, so can't comment on it's sound quality. It would be best to do a direct comparison between the two and then make up your mind.

I agree, some people say bright, I say accurate. Great power, build and fixed input is very handy too.

Yes both amps are very impressive. However, they are very different and thus require different speakers and source: The Kandy K2 has a relatively smooth, textured presentation to it, whereas the 840 has a more edgier sound, in comparison. Get the matches right with both and they will impress.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi

The ROKSAN KANDY K2 impressed because his retro/vinatage look and preception no digital crap at all ... what do you think

is the sound is good old fashion style?

ISAC69 said:
Hi

The ROKSAN KANDY K2 impressed because his retro/vinatage look and preception no digital crap at all ... what do you think

Depends: Certainly the Cambridge is more forthright in its presentation, whereas the Kandy has a smoother sound - some may interpret the Roksan as olde worlde, but not me...

SteveR750

ISAC69 said:
Hi

Unsure what you mean, but old fashioned = good??

The K2 is no over-cooked retro device, it's a modern and up to date sounding amp.

BTW I didn't mean to imply the 840 is raggedy or harsh, the 640a that I had was definitley leaner than the NAD C372 that I had, and the K2 is closer to the NAD sound.

Martinblueboy

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
+1 for the Roksan from me, though I haven't heard the 840A. I had a 640A.V2 for some years and whilst I appreciate this is a step considerable step down from the 840A that you're looking at, I love the smoothness, punch and drive of the K2. Since I've had the K2, I've really started to listen to my music again and I'm busily rediscovering the pleasure of actually listening properly to the music rather than it being "stuff" that's on in the background.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi ,

I like to use an external graphic equalizer when I am using my turntable ( now I am using a very old receiver to do so ), Can I

use it on the ROKSAN KANDY K2 or CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 840A ?

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
Another +1 for the CA. I bought this to replace my CA 650a and I'm glad I did. I found the 840 is just in a completely different league to the 650a. The 840a is both spacious and detailed with plenty of heft. I've not heard the K2 so can't comment but I'm extremely happy with the 840, never fails to put a smile on my face. A bargain price of £500 at the min too.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
Hi ,

I like to use an external graphic equalizer when I am using my turntable ( now I am using a very old receiver to do so ), Can I

If that's what you want then please don't waste your money on getting either the Cambridge or Roksan. Get yourself the cheapest amp you can get and then use that with your graphic equalizer. At least then you wouldn't have wasted a good quality amp running through a graphic equalizer.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Sabby said:
ISAC69 said:
Hi ,

If that's what you want then please don't waste your money on getting either the Cambridge or Roksan. Get yourself the cheapest amp you can get and then use that with your graphic equalizer. At least then you wouldn't have wasted a good quality amp running through a graphic equalizer.

ISAC69 - I'm affraid that you are likely to be not taken too seriously wanting to use a graphic equaliser with proper stereo equipment. The reason being that they have a pretty negative effect on sound quality - hence some of the replies show some consternation!

IMO, such devices have little place & should be seen as a last resort to sorting out problems that can be better done so by repositioning your speakers or replacing them & buying stuff that's fairly neutral to start with. Trying to balance let's say bright speakers with a warm amplifier etc is a path I'd personally avoid where possible.

ISAC69 said:
Hi ,

As with a lot of views, I take (generally) the middle ground. Yes, with the quality of the Roksan and Cambridge there's no real need, however, in the real world of poor recordings and so on and so forth, tone controls and GEs can be useful. That said, connecting a GE will draw the natural qualities of the aforementioned amps away, and could leave you with an unnatural sound - or forced sound.

If your speakers fall short of the quality of the amps then a GE could be advantageous.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I don't agree with you guys , some of my vinyl are in poor conditions and very old and the GE is making a great impvroment .

I am not usingmy GE as a standard only when I am using my turntable . the new amp will be used for other components such as CD act. and than I am not using thr GE !!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts