Roksan Kandy CD Player

A

Anonymous

I just bought this CD player for a cheap price, but it does not sound very much different to my Cambridge Azur 640C V2 which is surprising given its review's.

Does this CDP need run in very much? I am using it with a Yamaha A-S500 amplifier.

How would you describe its sound?

Also I am using Mission Elan 34 speakers is this a good combination?

tazzo said:
I just bought this CD player for a cheap price, but it does not sound very much different to my Cambridge Azur 640C V2 which is surprising given its review's.

Does this CDP need run in very much? I am using it with a Yamaha A-S500 amplifier.

How would you describe its sound?

Also I am using Mission Elan 34 speakers is this a good combination?

Can't find the Roksan on a John Lewis site. Which one do you have? Is it the K2 or older?

There has been a couple of upgrades on the K2 since its launch. Nevertherless I would still expect it to have the upper hand on the Cambridge.

I conversed with another memeber who has this K2 CDP and he reckons, cpmpared to a Rotel 965, it is slightly rounded off, especially top-end. Now given you have the Yamaha amp this may result in a slightly warmer sound, in comparison to the Cambridge which is quite bright. Or it just could mean you need better speakers or amplifier.

If you have a Richer Sounds nearby, take the K2 and try the K2 amp.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the reply, I cant really afford the amp, but my Yamaha amp has been upgraded with better caps in the power supply and sub-miniture valves.

I think I need to give it a few days and see what I think...

A

Anonymous

It IS ex-display/demo, dunno which one or how long it has been run in , but I reckon like you say, a good couple of week s will see it improve.

Just leave it switched on overnight, without playing a disc. Happened to me recently with Rega, and few years a go with a Rotel. Had been used but not switched on for a few weeks. You need to get the machine warmed up properly. Just a few hours in the evening. Switch it on and go shopping or for a drink and when you return there should be better cohesion.

matthewpiano

Roksan actually suggest the CD player is left on all the time, which is why there is no standby option. The suggestion in the manual is that users should only switch the machine off using the hard power switch underneath the front left of the machine if going away for a longer period of time.

T

the record spot

tazzo said:
Cheers for the reply, I cant really afford the amp, but my Yamaha amp has been upgraded with better caps in the power supply and sub-miniture valves.

I think I need to give it a few days and see what I think...

And you shouldn't need to upgrade the amp. However, it is probably worth bearing in mind that there aren't massive differences necessarily between CD players. Greater ones lie with speakers (obviously) and amps. Might be worth you telling us what differenes you'd hoped to hear (or, what was missing from your earlier player you thought would be resolved with the new one)?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts