Roksan Kandy BT , Rotel RA 1570 or other?

Cynic-al

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Evening All,

Currently using a Denon Ceol paired with B&W CM8's.

I love the convenience and features and it sounds good, but I've got an itch.

So I'm now looking for a powerful amp to show me what these speakers can do.

My sources are my CD library ripped in WAV on a net top PC and Airplay lossless files.

Music tastes , Amos Lee, Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, John Mayer, Ray Lamontagne etc.

I like the idea of an integrated amp/DAC hence the Rotel or alternatively the Roksan with

Arcam irDAC. I would keep the Ceol plugged in for Airplay/radio duties.

Any experience you could share would be appreciated.

Oh, budget about £1300.

Chadwick

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I've demo'd both with some B&W CM9's and I instantly found the RA1570 gave a better sound. The Roksan was a little bit dissapointing if I'm honest.

I demo'd the CM8's with an Arcam A19 and thought they sounded great together. but the only way you'd know for sure is to have a demo.

Cynic-al said:
Evening All,

Currently using a Denon Ceol paired with B&W CM8's.

I love the convenience and features and it sounds good, but I've got an itch.

So I'm now looking for a powerful amp to show me what these speakers can do.

My sources are my CD library ripped in WAV on a net top PC and Airplay lossless files.

Music tastes , Amos Lee, Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, John Mayer, Ray Lamontagne etc.

I like the idea of an integrated amp/DAC hence the Rotel or alternatively the Roksan with

Arcam irDAC. I would keep the Ceol plugged in for Airplay/radio duties.

Any experience you could share would be appreciated.

Oh, budget about £1300.

Don't think you'll be disappointed with any of the suggestions. More to the point, it'll boil down to synergy. On that alone, Rotel and B&W are cracking match but you'll need to hear the combo in your own environment.

Cynic-al

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for responding, its been your posts on the Roksan that got me thinking about upgrading!

May i ask which Rotel amp you auditioned and what the Kandy had that the Rotel didn't?

I must say the features of the Rotel do appeal, USB DAC being one.

From reading your posts i'd say the sound i am looking for is very similar to yourself.

I value your opinion and any further thoughts would be appreciated.

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Personally I haven't heard the K2 BT but the K2 I own IMO sounds amazing and easily beats the best from Cyrus for example - One thing I have found though if doing comparisons the K2 needs a good hour to sound OK even from standby, it constantly amazes me how bad it sounds when cold - Bland it isn’t.

Tomas

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I havn't heard Roksan but I have bought Rotel RA 1570 last week and have to say it is amazing gear! I am looking forward to by CM8 or 9 as Rotel and B&W are perfect match.

All the best

Cynic-al

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Chadwick,

The Arcam is definitely added to the shortlist, it could gel nicely with the CM8's.

I had discounted it because everything i read about the CM8's says they need plenty of power to get the best from them.

I would be interested to know how the Rotel RA1570 sounded against the Roksan.

Cynic-al

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks PP,

Ideally i want to demo each amp at home for a day or two.

Are dealers willing to do this?

I was thinking of paying for the amp in full, with the idea of taking home the shop demo unit to try.

What if i don't like it at home and they don't stock another amp on my shortlist?

At the end of the day they have a business to run.

Cynic-al said:
Thanks PP,

Ideally i want to demo each amp at home for a day or two.

Are dealers willing to do this?

I was thinking of paying for the amp in full, with the idea of taking home the shop demo unit to try.

What if i don't like it at home and they don't stock another amp on my shortlist?

At the end of the day they have a business to run.

Do you have a good rapport with any dealers? If so they should be more than happy to lend you an ex-dem amp. They may ask for a small deposit but if you're candid with them and say 'definitely looking to upgrade, but it is about finding the right match for my speakers and room'.

Try and get one on a Friday. This'll give you the weekend to hear it. Often an hour ot two dem isn't enough to convince.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I did demo the RK K2 twice, it was OK but lacked clarity compared with some other amps, best amp I heard was Creek 50A but maybe not enough power for CM8s?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I demoed and owned few Rotel's in my days and always found them bright and dry. To me they only sound good with B&W but again this can become unbearably harsh in HF and dry and hollow in MF when played loud, depending on B&W model. Maybe it's the large DF, I don't really know.

The B&W CM series doesn't have HF harshness and is lacking in the presence region so the Rotel's fit the bill nicely, controlling where it benefits the final result - a more balanced sound.

And yes, all solid state amps of decent quality sound the same when level matched in double blind test. The sound quality differences are imaginary due to differences in loudness and FR.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Cynic-al said:
Nice one PP, good advice. I wil post my experiences and outcome.

PP is spot on. Talk to the dealer and tell them exactly what you want to do. See what deposit they would require.

Give them cash as security, ask them not to bank it, just keep it safe in case you abscond with their product. Do not be surprised if some dealers will not play ball, they get such requests all the time often from people wanting to play, but with no interest in buying.

Sadly, and I understand their view, many dealers will not lend product to people they don't know, regular, known customers are a different matter, they get to borrow equipment virtually at will.

On a separate issue, you should try and add the Creek 50a (with dac when it finally arrives) and the Exposure 2010. Not easy to find but very much worth the effort should you make it. I was going to suggest the Peachtree Nova, but given the speakers, that combination might be a little too warm.

Personally I think them superior to anything mentioned so far, but that is of course only my view. The fast, un-hyped bass of these amplifiers should suit the speakers more than the Roksan or Arcam mentioned above. I am not familiar with the Rotel, so have no views here.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Esra said:
Dave i see you gained some taste for the Peachtrees ;)

I came across the smaller Decco at a 'social' occasion in someones home a month or two back. I thought it showed considerable promise and sounded rather beguiling. It was not the occasion for serious listening but on a pair of Audio Technica headphones (his, not mine) at a more serious level the sound was pretty potent, detailed but slightly at a distance which I prefer.

It is a potent combination, excellent dac, valve stage, good headphone amp and a sound that is persuasive rather than demanding. If the opportunity arises I would love to give it an extended run.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Creek 50a and Exposure 2010 for B&W CM8? Are you joking Dave? These are flea amps for those speakers. They are superior in absolutely nothing. The speakers will be underpowered and uncontrolled. The CM8's want monoblock power, even the Rotel and Roksan integrateds are compromises.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Creek 50a and Exposure 2010 for B&W CM8? Are you joking Dave? These are flea amps for those speakers. They are superior in absolutely nothing. The speakers will be underpowered and uncontrolled. The CM8's want monoblock power, even the Rotel and Roksan integrateds are compromises.

Have you heard the Creek?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:

I am no big fan of B&W speakers and not that familier with CM8s so maybe they are power hungry beyond what their reputation and spec would suggest.

Both the amplifiers suggested drive better than their power specs would suggest so 'flea amps' they are not. At normal, 'sensibly' loud levels they control speakers better than anything else I have tried at the price.

We all have our preferences, derived from our experiences, these are mine........ :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS