Roksan caspian M2 problem???

Sandman

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new to this respectable forum so please be patient :wave:

I have a Roksan caspian m2 integrated powering a pair of Morel vario onwall speakers, 5ohm, 89db (play full range even tough they are very limited below 70hz) and a powered sub that plays from 60hz and below.

for now there are 3 source devices connected to the caspian with rca cables (analog of course), now when i push the amp a little (12 o'clock in the volume control) every thing is fine but when i turn it a little more ( 1 o'clock) the caspian shuts down and i need to "restart" it to make it play again.

As I read somewhere the caspian volume can be turned up almost to full 6 o'clock but mine shut down at 1 o'clock.

Another issue that I've experienced is that if I switch off the subwoofer manually the amp also shuts down :O and i need to restart it.

But over all I feel that the amp can actually push more.

I have never experienced that with my older Marantz sr-8002 AV receiver that played with no problem almost to it's full volume and never shut down (the vario's where high passed from 60hz and all the same devices where connected through digital connections).

Do you think that there is a problem with:

1. my amp? (technical problem)

2. with me? (asking too much from the caspian) :oops:

3. with the Morel vario speaker that plays full range and maybe streesing the amp?

I'll appreciate your advice andor opinion.

Cheers,

The Sandman

Sandman

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
The powered sub connected to the pre amp output.

I disconected the sub from the amp and the problem still occured.

is there any chance that the amp goes into protection because the amp overdriving the speakers?

Sandman

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi danrv,

i've seen in your signature that you have the roksan kandy k2,

did you compare the kandy to the caspian? If you do than how they compare power wise and sq?

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
The power handling of the Morels is 200w but not sure what the recommended amp power is. The Caspian's probably putting out about 110w at 5ohms. Should be enough.

If possible try the amp with a pair of full range hifi speakers.

I didn't compare my Kandy to the Caspian as Richer Sounds only had the K2 systerm. Would like to have heard it. The k2 sounds fabulous and would be interested to hear how much better the Caspian sounds given that it's over twice the price of the Kandy.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Given that the Morel speakers have 5ohm nominal impedance, you may be running into a problem where the impedance falls even lower at certain frequencies, making them harder for the Roksan to drive until it cuts out to prevent thermal overload or other damage. This review suggests it only goes down to 4.53ohms at 120Hz, however, although that may be enough to upset the amp.

1 or 2 o'clock on the volume knob is pretty high, and most amps are giving maximum power by about the 12 o'clock position, as I understand it, and beyond there all you're really doing is adding distortion in the form of amp clipping. And that will either trigger protection, fry the tweeters in the speakers, or cause the amp to go bang.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Given that the Morel speakers have 5ohm nominal impedance, you may be running into a problem where the impedance falls even lower at certain frequencies, making them harder for the Roksan to drive until it cuts out to prevent thermal overload or other damage. This review suggests it only goes down to 4.53ohms at 120Hz, however, although that may be enough to upset the amp.

1 or 2 o'clock on the volume knob is pretty high, and most amps are giving maximum power by about the 12 o'clock position, as I understand it, and beyond there all you're really doing is adding distortion in the form of amp clipping. And that will either trigger protection, fry the tweeters in the speakers, or cause the amp to go bang.

My Roksan Kandy turns off as protect mode if the volume is more than 9 o'clock when I turn it on or change the input but it never cuts out once

playing music even on very high levels volume (my Proac goes down to 3.2 ohms ! ) . Very strange ... Can you check your Caspian with other speakers ?

Sandman

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
"My Roksan Kandy turns off as protect mode if the volume is more than 9 o'clock when I turn it on or change the input"

My caspian don't act like this.

Isac69 did you go beyond 12 o'clok with your kandy?

"This review suggests it only goes down to 4.53ohms at 120Hz"

In th review the reviewer use the vario sub and didn't mention if he used a high pass filter on the vario speakers.

Roksan indicate that the caspian can handle 4ohm speakers with no problem, they actually says that the caspian can push peak of 60A.

Unfortunately i don't have any other speakers that i can check with.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Sandman said:
"My Roksan Kandy turns off as protect mode if the volume is more than 9 o'clock when I turn it on or change the input"

My caspian don't act like this.

Isac69 did you go beyond 12 o'clok with your kandy?

"This review suggests it only goes down to 4.53ohms at 120Hz"

In th review the reviewer use the vario sub and didn't mention if he used a high pass filter on the vario speakers.

Roksan indicate that the caspian can handle 4ohm speakers with no problem, they actually says that the caspian can push peak of 60A.

Unfortunately i don't have any other speakers that i can check with.

Yes I can go beyond 12 o'clok with my kandy with no problem at all . My suspicion is that the Morel and Caspian isn't a good match :?

Sandman

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
A twist.

until now i've only tried to turn up the volume beyond 12 o'clock with my

crappy wd streamer, today i tried my older version of wd streamer and it beyond, more like 3 o'clock and than it go protect.

i also tried with my sat receiver and it went all the way to 5 o'clock

tommorow i'll try with my marantz cd.

I think that the morel stressing the amp too much.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
danrv said:
The power handling of the Morels is 200w but not sure what the recommended amp power is. The Caspian's probably putting out about 110w at 5ohms. Should be enough.

If possible try the amp with a pair of full range hifi speakers.

I didn't compare my Kandy to the Caspian as Richer Sounds only had the K2 systerm. Would like to have heard it. The k2 sounds fabulous and would be interested to hear how much better the Caspian sounds given that it's over twice the price of the Kandy.

Heard the Caspian too and to my surprise found that the Kandy is much better although the Caspian is over twice the price of the Kandy !

Found that the Caspian is less powerful than the K2 and its soundstage is pompous and artificial .

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Surprised to hear that too. The WHF review says the amp sounds better when driven a little. Not so good at low volumes.

Sandman

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me wrong in 12 o'clock position it's loud...some may say party level, but as i understood the roksan build that the volume control can

be turned to almost full turn.

as i've mentioned before it feels like to amp have more juice but for some reason it shuts down.

Surprised to hear about the Caspian being slightly lacking regards to output. Having heard both - the Kandy has more power power on paper - I found the Caspian M1 to have far better control over every speaker I dem'd. IMO the Caspian is a decent step up in every respect. Maybe those speakers are to blame.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You are pushing the amp too hard into a moderately difficult load, simple as that.

It is possible that the protection circuitry is set at too low a threshold (it is propably monitoring current and temperature) but this is rare, might be worth getting it checked.

If you have a dealer close buy, ask him if you can try your amp into a couple of other speakers, if the problem disappears you are probably asking too much of the amp into these particular loudspeakers, if it doesn't you are pushing the amp beyond it's capabilities.

We have been through all this before but it is surprising how much power is required once you go above 'normal' listening levels, playing 'twice as loud' (ie twice the measured SPL) requires ten times the power.

The setting of the volume control has no real relevance in this case, it is all down to the output level from your sources.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Have to agree there. Try a pair of efficient 8 or 6ohm regular hifi speakers and I think the Caspian will be much happier.

Sandman

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I guess i'm pushing it to hard.

i got used to the marantz sr-8002 sending 80hz high pass to the morel vario, now the caspian sending full range to them.

the morel can not and not suppose to handle low frequencies, i believe they stressing the amp.

but the "problem" is that i'm consider buying a pair of Dynaudio DM 2/7 or excite x16 with 4ohm impedance

even tough i now that the impedance of the Dyn's is quiet stable and not suppose to be very hard load

for the caspian they have low sensetivity around 85-86db and i'm afraid that the caspian even with it's

high current delivery (60A as mentioned in roksan website) it will struggle in high volume.

does someone tried the caspian with Dyn's?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts