RJ45 input, what can it do for me?

SteveR750

I'm extremely ignorant when it comes to DNLA and upnp stuff, the Heg (as it shall forthwith be called) has such a spocket on its derriere, but I assume I connect my wire(d)less rerouter to it, and then what? How do I sytream something from my phone connected to the same network?

Alternatively, are there any BT dongles that could be connected to one of the 3 toslink inputs?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
How do I sytream something from my phone connected to the same network?

If your phone is of the i kind, you can send music from it to the Hegel using Airplay once you've connected that Ethernet port to your wireless network router.

If it's not an iPhone, then AFAIK you can't use a wireless device to send music to the H160 in this way.

SteveR750 said:
are there any BT dongles that could be connected to one of the 3 toslink inputs

Not quite a dongle in the strict sense of the word (if there's a strict sense of the word 'dongle' ;-) ), but this would do the trick and is sensible money.

Hope that helps a bit.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
This would work, too, and is even cheaper, but all this is dependent on your phone supporting the sending of music via Bluetooth.

Do check if you haven't tried it before, as some 'unsmart' phones with Bluetooth only use it for telephony (ie with those daft minicab-driver earpieces), not music.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Connect it to your router, or a switch, and you network becomes available for streaming music. Something like BubbleUPnP for Android can be used to control various sources.

"BubbleUPnP can access your media from a lot of sources, including:

• UPnP/DLNA media servers
• local media stored on your Android device
• popular cloud media storage providers
• media from other apps using Share/Send such as: web browsers, file managers...
• ...and more!"

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Jota180 said:
Connect it to your router, or a switch, and you network becomes available for streaming music. Something like BubbleUPnP for Android can be used to control various sources.

Which of course relies on the OP's 'unsmart' phone being able to run BubbleUPnP.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Jota180 said:

Which of course relies on the OP's 'unsmart' phone being able to run BubbleUPnP.

In which case install it on his smart tablet. Or, buy a cheap ass, refurbished Android phone/tablet to use as a luxury remote control. :D

SteveR750

It's a galaxy S3 on Android 4.3 so it should work. Tablet is a tab pro, likewise on 4.4 should work. I want to stream files off the phone, it already works as a network remote using gizmo for j river and Spotify connect. It would be easier to stream Spotify off the handset than having to restart the pc every time, using BT doesn't compromise to much sonically when it background music.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'd probably just buy an iPod Touch as a glorified remote / AirPlay streamer / radio 'tuner' etc.

Only £139 (up to £229 for 64GB version) at John Lewis. Not that much for someone with a £4.5K system.

It will save you the 'faff' and clutter of buying and connecting an extra Bluetooth box.

SteveR750

These things are relative. On paper it is, in practice it's a pretty poor piece of software implementation. It was much more reliable in its first firmware configuration, after two major upgrades the battery life appears to have been mildly improved by severely limiting things like the wi-fi connection. It's data mode switching often needs a reboot to force it over, the USB audio out sometimes just doesn't, again a reboot fix. I digress, but you might be able to tell, I have fallen out of love with it a long time ago....

SteveR750

chebby said:
I'd probably just buy an iPod Touch as a glorified remote / AirPlay streamer / radio 'tuner' etc.

Only £139 (up to £229 for 64GB version) at John Lewis. Not that much for someone with a £4.5K system.

It will save you the 'faff' and clutter of buying and connecting an extra Bluetooth box.

How does that help me stream files off my android phone though? I don't need a remote control function, I've already got that facility for both media players off my PC, which is my only source; so that's covered. The beauty of a BT connection is that other members of the family can simply pair and go - my sons do this with the LG soundbar that we have for the TV which is a really useful feature.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts