admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just got back from New York and i found a cracking little HiFi dealer just off 6th Avenue. I met the owner and told him i was browsing and comparing prices, even though i wasnt there to buy he spent just over an hour with me taking about the US market. Anyways what peed me off was just how cheap kit is. I could have bought fopr example a tosh HD DVD player brand new for.............£70, yes £70 and its a new model! Bryston amps a fraction of the UK price and by a fraction i mean around a 1/3 less. I then thought about buying something as these prices were to good to be true so I bought a pair of Audioquest Jaguars for £130 the best in the UK i can find is £249 plus p+p and its a great cable although i have only been using it for a full day it seams to be impeccable in all areas, even the boss (wife) noticed a change which was described as not booming and the voices sound cleaner! This guy was most helpful i kid you not its a shame UK dealers are not the same! Oh and before i forget i asked a number of electrical dealers who is winning the format war between blue ray and hd dvd, blue ray is out selling hd by considerable margins

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, been to Florida a few times and I reckon everything is so much cheaper. We used to take two empty suitcases over with us. But thats rip-off Britain for you.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Whilst risking getting into an economics argument there are many reasons beyond the oft-quoted "Rip-off Britain" why goods cost more in Great Britain than the United States, firstly U.S. Population is 5 times U.K.'s at over 300 million compared to just over 60 million, which allows for greater sales and therefore more scope to negotiate discounts with manufacturers( because the more of a single item a production line can make, the cheaper each item becomes).Secondly U.S. is much larger than U.K. in land mass which makes land plots for retail development cheaper and allows for more "out of town" style electronics stores where profit per item can be lower due to higher turnover. Thirdly, the United States Government doesn't charge anywhere near enough to cover it's spending (leaving it in debt to the tune of $9.1 trillion) which keeps taxes low on all goods and services in the U.S. and depressess overall wage bills, (i.e what it costs to employ someone including any employers contributions to government or state social security projects- for example employers NI contributions in the U.K,) Fourthly, the cost of fuel in the U.S. which is aided by low taxation. All of these things impact on the cost to the British and American consumer

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gwyndy"]Whilst risking getting into an economics argument there are many reasons beyond the oft-quoted "Rip-off Britain" why goods cost more in Great Britain than the United States, firstly U.S. Population is 5 times U.K.'s at over 300 million compared to just over 60 million, which allows for greater sales and therefore more scope to negotiate discounts with manufacturers( because the more of a single item a production line can make, the cheaper each item becomes).Secondly U.S. is much larger than U.K. in land mass which makes land plots for retail development cheaper and allows for more "out of town" style electronics stores where profit per item can be lower due to higher turnover. Thirdly, the United States Government doesn't charge anywhere near enough to cover it's spending (leaving it in debt to the tune of $9.1 trillion) which keeps taxes low on all goods and services in the U.S. and depressess overall wage bills, (i.e what it costs to employ someone including any employers contributions to government or state social security projects- for example employers NI contributions in the U.K,) Fourthly, the cost of fuel in the U.S. which is aided by low taxation. All of these things impact on the cost to the British and American consumer[/quote]

mmm, interesting but i would have to disagree. A friend of my dads is canadian and has lived in the US for over 40 years.He said that about 25-30 years ago the cost of electrical equipment in the UK was roughly half that of the US and he used to buy goods in the UK to save money.The UK is now about double the cost of the US. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the economy.It is down to big companies knowing full well that they can charge ludicrous prices in the Uk and get away with it.Its all about big business fleecing and ripping off british customers as they know that Brits are prepared to pay almost anything for luxury and designer goods.Pure and simple. CD and dvd prices, electrical items, clothes,holidays, even food are all far higher in the UK. One of the worst examples of this was when the Playsation 2 came out. It was $300 in the US and £300 in the UK. It was ,at that time with the exchange rate, £100 cheaper in the states. When the UK chief of Sony was asked why the same product was expensive in the UK, do you know what he said? He actually said, and this is serious, that as the UK is an island it costs more to deliver the units as they are brought in by plane. How did they get to the US from japan? er, by plane,thats how. What a tosser.He knew we would pay it and had no answer so he came out with that rubbish. Its expensive in Britain because people will pay over the odds for everything without complaining.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]Yes, the US market is cheap for the moment. It is nowt to do with rip off, it's just because the UK economy is strong. That's it.
Try here (in Sweden) ...more pricey then Britain.
Try buying a beer in downtown Bulgaria. (CHEAP)

It's simply economics. Get over it(and buy what you can (get rid of the boxes though!))[/quote]
I disagree with "the US market is cheap for the moment" I've been going over since 1993 and the worst exchange rate we had was $1.30 to the pound but guess what, everything was still a lot cheaper even then.That even applies when you factor out the differant sales taxes so that you are left with a price before sales tax.

A

Anonymous

I do know that Sony used to import PS2 by sea, they docked in Holland and the were shipped to the UK!
They had a number of issues with the wee regs in Holland so decide to fly some to the UK for the Xmas market. As far as i am aware they still ship. So Mr Sony you are talking sloblock.

I have lived throughout Europe and the US I can assure you that we are paying over the odds, Sweden included as i work for a Swedish company now and spend quiet a bit of time there

A

Anonymous

I would fall short of calling it Rip-off but I have always been surprised at the difference in US and UK price. US is so much cheaper. I also believe that Economy does play a role into it. In the context of comparison with many countries it would hold true. But the economy alone shouldn't be the reason. Leave alone everything and just look at the size of hi-fi market in UK, the volume of transaction. Hi-fi is a culture in UK like in no other country. I'd say at those volumes manufactures should be able to sell at even better prices.
Less price per unit * more units sold > More price per unit * less units sold IMO
Also, if you look at the online catalouge sales in US, you'd be surprised at the price. Dirt cheap. I full my bags to the extent of going over the allowed weight on board.
May be UK manufacturers should concentrate on overseas market in order to increase the volume of production and sales, thus being able to sell at better prices.

A

Anonymous

why the OP is only complaining about hi-fi prices is beyond me - fact of the matter is Britain is the third most expenisve country to live in the world!!! everything is bloody expensive here so either put up with it or move.

A

Anonymous

[[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"] everything is bloody expensive here so either put up with it or move[/quote]

why? Why shouldn't people complain about being charged rip off prices? Companies charge what people are prepared to pay ,and in the UK people will pay over the odds for virtually anything.If people stopped paying it the prices would come down.Trainers manufactured in china or the philippines and sold here for £80 in schuh yet are sold in the U.S for $50. Something not right there.Tv's and dvd players are approximately half the price in the US compared to here and that was at $1.50 to the pound.It's nearer $2 to the pound now.Thats not down to economics its down to companies taking the piss out of Uk consumers.

A

Anonymous

Just to add a perspective from a seller - albeit of second hand goods - the cost of sales is far higher over here than in the USA. If you look at the taxes, rents, rates, onorous employment law etc. the cost of doing business over here is astronomical. Don't forget that we now have WEEE regulations that are costing manufacturers and retailers a fortune in taking back and processing traded in kit, someone has to pay for that. lets not forget that we have to pay more for insurance and transport - mainly thanks to fuel being well over £1.00 per litre, I can't think of anything that is cheaper here than in the US. Sad, but there you have it.

Dave.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="GreenHomeElectronics"]
Just to add a perspective from a seller - albeit of second hand goods - the cost of sales is far higher over here than in the USA. If you look at the taxes, rents, rates, onorous employment law etc. the cost of doing business over here is astronomical. Don't forget that we now have WEEE regulations that are costing manufacturers and retailers a fortune in taking back and processing traded in kit, someone has to pay for that. lets not forget that we have to pay more for insurance and transport - mainly thanks to fuel being well over £1.00 per litre, I can't think of anything that is cheaper here than in the US. Sad, but there you have it.

Dave.
[/quote]

No idea where the money goes though!

A

Anonymous

Ha ha ha! I have another good one - I just don't know how to post pictures!

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="Hughes123"]

No idea where the money goes though![/quote]

Hint:

[/quote]
Yeah, I think that is a trick redcase. Yuo can put stuff into it but nothing comes out. Looks best held by man with silly grin.

A

Anonymous

The argument that the vast amouts of available land in the states helps them keep the price of goods down doesnt really work. The USA is very thinly populated by comparison, and as such any saving made on the cost of buying a retail premesis in the middle of no where is countered by the vastly reduced local customer base / passing trade. Densly populated areas akin to the UK will have Land prices to match.

As for cheaper fuel lowering thier costs, again this is all relative. Any Shipment made to the UK, and then delivered to its four corners, will cost nothing in comparison to transporting goods thousands of miles across the States. Online purchases are of course similarly effected, lower fuel costs are countered by the huge distances involved.

So a shop taking advantage of cheap land in an underpopulated area, therfore requiring it to deal largley online, is simply faced with higher delivery charges which it must swallow in order to remain prices competative, canceling out the saving made on its location.

The buying power of big US companies only applies to thier large "currys/comet" stlye operations and not the small independant Hi-fi outlets such as the one visited by the origional poster. A shop in the centre of new york will not have cheap operating costs and such outlets are in exactly the same boat as any small shop in the uk when it comes to buying in quantity. The larger US companies are often global traders with outlets under one name or another all over the world. The equipment they are buying and the price paid per unit is the same, bought in bulk and distributed accordingly. It should also be remembered that the items in question that these sort of posts/complaints refer to are those that the uk consumer is familiar with. Little is known of many US based AV manufacturers due to thier complete lack of availability across Europe. The products these complaints are directed at are by-englare produced outside the USA, mostly from Japan and the far east. The States would see no benefit from its geographical location when buying products from these areas of the world, let alone products from Europe or the Uk itself.

Since coming to power Labour has swaped us with countless laws, regulations and taxes in all areas of life, and businesses trading within the UK have not escaped. The cost of conforming to all these standards should not be underestimated, nor should the level of tax, of one form or another, that all business now face. We are all aware that many companies had fled these shores for the afore-mentioned reasons, and with the economic downturn more still have gone under. Whilst they in no way account for the sometimes vast discrepancies in price between "here" and "over there", theses rules, regualtions and taxes are one reason we pay more. Whether you think the extra revenue this generates for the government has been wisley spent is a decision for the ballot box.

The one area of regualtion where the consumer may be happy to pay a premium is on customer service, something the US is famous for and the Uk infamous for. Whilst not directed at the Hifi/Hc suppliers in the UK, returning an item here is generally an unpleasant experiance to say the least. We are treated as though we are at fault. Rather than receiving an apology for selling a defective product, an interigation ensuse, requiring names addresses and explanations, often resulting in an argument. Companies continually flout the poorly enforced consumer laws we have, trying at any given oppertunity to wriggle out of giving a refund or replacment, let alone an apology.

In the end we pay more because we are charged more, its self perpetuating and it is unfair.

A

Anonymous

you should have rather bought some petrol and cigarettes in the US .... think we are getting ripped off here big time (especially with fuel)

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
dim_span:you should have rather bought some petrol and cigarettes in the US .... think we are getting ripped off here big time (especially with fuel)

I think for every £1 spent on petrol here 70p is tax.

Whether you think that money has been spent wisely or not, can perhaps be decided by everyone in the next few weeks

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If you are fit and young and professional and are never going to be seriously ill (ever) and your children are never going to be seriously ill (or your wife) and you can afford a decent private education for all of your kids, and you know you are never going to be unemployed then the answer is easy.

Go to the USA.

I'll take my chances here. It's been worse than now a couple of times even during my (middle-aged) lifetime.

Seeya. Enjoy the cheap fags and fuel.

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Well, if I ever fall ill anytime soon, I know where I'd rather be living.

The next time any of you have an accident or has a family member become sick and you find yourself needing the services of your local hospital. And when you've taken full advantage of the doctors and nurses and surgeons and porters and anaesthetists and kitchen staff and cleaners etc etc etc etc. And when you walk out the hospital doors, cured or repaired, well again, without a care in the world, stop and think about where your taxes go.

Don't get me wrong, guys: yes, there is alot wrong with this wonderful country that we live in, but don't keep on with the grass is always greener approach. One day we may not have the things that we've all come to take for granted. And if/when that day arrives, the price of a PS3 ain't gonna seem that important anymore.

A

Anonymous

chebby:

If you are fit and young and professional and are never going to be seriously ill (ever) and your children are never going to be seriously ill (or your wife) and you can afford a decent private education for all of your kids, and you know you are never going to be unemployed then the answer is easy.

Go to the USA.

I'll take my chances here. It's been worse here a couple of times even during my (middle-aged) lifetime.

Seeya. Enjoy the cheap fags and fuel.

you obviously have not been following Obama's new healthcare bill that has been recently approved?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have some admiration for people who have the courage of their convictions and uproot everything, risk all, and actually go and do something about their unhappiness with the 'state of the UK' by making new lives elsewhere. Takes guts and resourcefulness.

Good luck and best wishes.

Bye.

A

Anonymous

chebby:

I have some admiration for people who have the courage of their convictions and uproot everything, risk all, and actually go and do something about their unhappiness with the 'state of the UK' by making new lives elsewhere. Takes guts and resourcefulness.

Good luck and best wishes.

Bye.

thanks Chebby ! ... sounds just like me .... due to the nature of my work, been there, done that (more than 3 times) ...

not bad here in the UK, but for my type of work, not much happening

just waiting for my 2 youngest to finish college here in the UK then perhaps off to Greece (have a large home in South Africa in Jeffreys Bay that I will sell and have a small farm in Mytilene Lesbos that my brother and I inhereited from my dad)....

will try something completely new (like a B&B or small hotel) ... USA is out of the question ... won't be accepted
emotion-5.gif

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Always but ALWAYS remember just how 'great it was' last time conservatives were running this country ? no thx

We have ALWAYS been ripped-off here in Britain ..... no matter who was running it.

A

Anonymous

Well don't come to Australia to buy your gear. For example, my MA RX6s cost the equivalent of £1208 which is about £450 more than the UK price and this is with the Aussie Peso having its best value against the Pound in years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts