Richer Sounds free 3D specs farce

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello,

I'm afraid i have a problem with the normally excellent Richer Sounds with their 2 pairs of free 3D glasses offer when purchasing the 42GT30 plasma tv.

When i purchased the tv on August 13th i was told i would have to wait for 4 weeks to receive the 3D glasses i'm entitled to but that i would definately get them which i thought was fair enough as i've had no issues with Richer Sounds in the past but i'm now fast approaching waiting for 2 months for the glasses (this coming saturday) with still no idea of when i'm going to receive them.

I have contacted the store where i purchased the tv and customer services via phone and they were as vague and non commital as its possible to be so on monday last week i put my concerns in writing to Richer Sounds customer services via email and received the following reply:

Dear Sir, Thanks for your email, although I was sorry to read your comments and offer my apologies for any inconvenience caused. Indeed we have been waiting on Panasonic to supply us with the promotional items for their offer so in turn we can fulfil the orders from customers such as yourself - I'm afraid our hands are somewhat tied by them in terms of the stock situation. However, we have just received the shipment, if you can forward me your contact number, I will ensure your 3D glasses are allocated correctly asap and sent out to you; I certainly understand your frustration here so if you can send me your contact address I will also send a gift voucher to you by way of apology for the wait. Once again, I offer my apologies, if I can be of any more help in the meantime please let me know. Many Thanks Tom Tom Griffiths Customer Services Richer Sounds Tel: 0333 900 0094 I received a £20 gift voucher in the post the next day which i thought was a nice gesture on their part but a week later i have still had no contact from them regarding the 3D glasses and no sign of when i will receive them which i think is very poor considering the wait i have had up untill now and the fact that they have all of my contact details as requested.I would like some advice on what to do next or if i am being too impatient with them, considering the fact that up untill now it's felt like i'm banging my head against a brick wall whenever i have contacted either the store or customer services (via phone and email) with an overall feeling of just being fobbed off every time.It's also worth pointing out that the offer is still running so if i have been waiting almost 2 months for the specs then there must be people out there who have been waiting even longer perhaps? If you are considering buying a qualifying Panasonic tv then it's also worth taking into account that you may well be waiting months for the specs despite what you are told at the time of purchase!I'm very frustrated at having to wait so long for the specs as i'm 3D ready and have been for some time and indeed i'm buying a 3D amp at the weekend but will i go to Richer Sounds....i doubt it. What should i do next?Best regardsOldboy

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Very poor :( Are the glasses available to buy anywhere? If so I'd be tempted to inform them that if they do not provide the glasses by, say, Friday you will be buying them yourself and seeking reimbursement of the purchase cost. I think you'd have a good case in contract law, as we as just good customer services. After all, you've waited far longer for the glasses than told and one of the main purposes of purchasing a 3d tv is to utilise the 3d.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Indeed they are! You can buy either the 2nd generation or the latest 3rd generation glasses freely over the internet from many retailers and this is something i have considered doing but why should i be out of pocket because Richer Sounds won't provide the specs i'm entitled to?

There is also the fact that i'm far from guaranteed that i will be reimbursed for the glasses that i purchase, i really can't see Richers stumping up the cash if i gave them the bill. It's difficult to know what to do because they are supposed to be 'free' but where that leaves me by way of recourse i have no idea??

It's certainly poor service from Richer Sounds and i expected far better from them :wall:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The way I view it, if the glasses were part of a promotion and thereby part of the contract of sale, Richer Sounds are legally obliged to provide you with them immediately. Based on the reply from RS, it sounds like the problem lies with Panasonic rather than the retailer. However, this shouldn't concern you. You paid for a specific package and your contract is with Richer Sounds (I'm assuming the glasses are listed on the receipt or some other documentation provided at point of sale).

Therefore, while I have some sympathy with RS, particularly in light of their usually excellent customer service, I still believe you're within your rights to adopt a more forthright approach. How RS resolves the issue shouldn't concern you. Supplier problems are their problems, not yours. Furthermore, if there continues to be a problem they have at the very least an obligation to keep you updated, and they haven't.

I'd contact citizens advice, then compose a strongly worded letter to Richer Sounds. The word "watchdog" can also work wonders. It may sound a little harsh, but like I said, the normally excellent Richer Sounds have failed to fulfil the contract of sale, and as you say, there may be many other customers experiencing this problem.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks strapped for cash!

It's good to know that my views are shared by others in this matter, i'm just not sure if i'm over reacting at times but as it's getting near to the 2 month mark now i'm getting ever tired of their continued failure to provide the glasses i'm entitled to and the reaction from customer services.

I really would like to avoid any further action against Richer Sounds as they have been great up untill now but i feel i can't let this situation continue any longer as it may go on forever. I'm emailing customer services one last time today and i will make it very clear that this is their last chance before i take the matter further, i'm also composing a letter to Julian Richer the founder and that will go in the post tomorrow to outline the issue and my continued frustration at the atitude of the company.

If nothing comes from either of those avenues then i will pursue the matter in a legal capacity and get some advice from consumer direct on my next course of action...i don't know what else i can do really and it would be a real shame for it to go this far but i am now prepared to do it if i have to.

All i can say is Richer Sounds will lose a loyal customer over this if they fail to act quickly and i just hope others read this thread and then shop elsewhere for their next tv, shame on you Richer Sounds |(

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I've seen posts from RS representatives on this forum before when customers have reported issues with purchases, generally adopting an apologetic tone and assuring swift resolution of the problem. I can't recall who normally contributes from RS, but if they're reading this perhaps they can comment?

And yes, Oldboy, I'll happily concur that you've been patient enough on this matter.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
I've seen posts from RS representatives on this forum before when customers have reported issues with purchases, generally adopting an apologetic tone and assuring swift resolution of the problem. I can't recall who normally contributes from RS, but if they're reading this perhaps they can comment?

And yes, Oldboy, I'll happily concur that you've been patient enough on this matter.

You are clairvoyant (did i spell that correctly?)!!

Guess what happened just moments ago...i got a call from Richer Sounds. Now i'm not suggesting for one minute that someone has seen this thread and checked their records (okay maybe i am) but coincidences don't happen for no reason, do they??

Apparantley the specs were sent to the the store for me to pick up but it seems they may have gone out to another customer... So they have got me another 2 pairs and are sending them out to me directly to my home address and they should be here on wednesday but i will beleive that when i see it lol.

Still at least i had a pleasant call from them and they were very apologetic about me not receiving them now all i have to do is wait and see if they arrive on wednesday, fingers crossed, but i'm not banking on it.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Fingers crossed you get them on Wednesday Nick :pray: Great news if you do (finally)

My response to your earlier question would have been similar to strapped, except I would say it's been so long that you don't want to waste time complaining to third parties. As strapped says, you have a contract with richer that included the supply of glasses within 4 weeks (in your case). You've entered into reasonable correspondence and been given further (broken) promises. If you gave them a final few days it's hard to see they wouldn't ultimately have to reimburse you. It's hard to fathom why a big retailer like richer can't lay their hands on the product when others can. But let's hope it now doesn't come to this. Even if you do get them I would send a further complaining email as it seems to me you are deserving of a more substantial gift voucher.

Richer Sounds

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi Oldboy,

I saw this thread regarding the problems you've been having obtaining your Panasonic 3D glasses and did indeed organise for my customer service team to arrange for two pairs to be sent to you as soon as possible.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience, I hope this resolves the situation for you; if I can be of any more help please contact me via the below email address..

john.p.clayton@richersounds.com

Many Thanks

John Clayton

Operations Director

Richer Sounds

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Sounds to me like the regular 'large organisation' communication problem where one arm doesn't know what the other arm's doing.

It's not new and it'll always happen, unfortunately. Though that's no excuse.

Years ago - and I mean years ago - my dad rang Comet at Wigan and arranged to purchase their last Akai GX747. They were letting him have it as a direct swap for a month-old Philips unit which was continually breaking down. But the person he spoke to on the 'phone never informed the shop-floor and by the time he got there they'd literally just sold it to someone else who was walking out the store with it. He's never forgiven them to this day.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Richer Sounds said:
Hi Oldboy,

I saw this thread regarding the problems you've been having obtaining your Panasonic 3D glasses and did indeed organise for my customer service team to arrange for two pairs to be sent to you as soon as possible.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience, I hope this resolves the situation for you; if I can be of any more help please contact me via the below email address..

Many Thanks

John Clayton

Operations Director

Richer Sounds

Thank you John.

I did have my suspicions as the timing of the call was too much of a coincidence! I do have to say that it's a shame a resolution wasn't found sooner and that it dragged on for so long after assurances were given to me when i contacted customer services, the overall impression left on me as a customer was not a good one that i can assure you.

Despite leaving my contact details i never received any further contact from anyone regarding the glasses yet a voucher arrived the next day in the post which confirmed that customer services had received my email and indeed had all my contact details.

When the member of your customer services team called yesterday i was told that the glasses were sent to the store that i purchased the tv from yet i was never informed of this either by phone or email which i find very poor indeed and there is no excuse for the lack of communication.

I have been a loyal customer for many years now and have continued to purchase from the company despite my local store closing years ago making it quite a journey to the nearest store, my reasoning has been that i have always received excellent service with competitive prices but after this experience i am now debating if i go elsewhere to purchase a new home cinema amp at the weekend.

I appreciate that the initial delay was not the fault of Richer Sounds but it's the lack of communication that irks me, why was i not told this when i contacted the store for example? Add to that my experience with customer services and their assurances and i'm sure you can see why i'm not pleased with the service i have received, i'm wondering now just how much longer this would have continued for if i wasn't a forum member of WHF and you hadn't seen this thread?

I do appreciate your help once you had seen this thread and i'm happy that i will finally receive the glasses but it shouldn't have felt like it was a fight to get them and i've found it a disappointing experience.

Regards,

Nick.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
BenLaw,

Many thanks for your input, it has been greatly appreciated.

Hopefully tomorrow will see a final resolution to the issue but if they don't arrive then at least i now have a person to contact at Richers who is familiar with the situation but i have faith that they will turn up as promised.

The issue of stock as i understand it has been down to Panasonic and stock of the specs only started to appear on the net during the week i contacted customer services although some retailers were still showing some stock of the older version which ties in to what i was told by Richers customer services regarding them receiving the shipment.

I was unfortunate in my timing as Panasonic was in the process of introducing it's 3rd generation of specs which were due to ship to retailers during september, speaking of which, i have no idea which version of the specs i'm going to receive but i hope it's the latest version after all the hassle and delays!

Not sure if i will follow your suggestion and send a further email of complaint in the hope of a more substantial gift voucher but i will consider it. Once again very many thanks for the advice.

Best regards,

Nick.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Oldboy said:
...it's the lack of communication that irks me
When I worked in electrical retail 25 years ago the estimate was 90% of customer complaints related to poor comms, and it was the #1 factor which would cause dissatisfied customers to never use a particular retailer/business again. But still the message doesn't always hit home. The frustration of feeling helpless and out of the loop creates deep-rooted animosity. Yet, it's astounding how many businesses are still poor at it (not necessarily RS; this may be a one off). It's so obvious that a customer would rather be told bad news ("Sorry Sir there's been a bit of a **** up..."), or "sorry Sir, no news as yet", than hear nothing at all.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Oldboy said:
...it's the lack of communication that irks me
When I worked in electrical retail 25 years ago the estimate was 90% of customer complaints related to poor comms, and it was the #1 factor which would cause dissatisfied customers to never use a particular retailer/business again. But still the message doesn't always hit home. The frustration of feeling helpless and out of the loop creates deep-rooted animosity. Yet, it's astounding how many businesses are still poor at it. It's so obvious that a customer would rather be told bad news ("Sorry Sir there's been a bit of a **** up..."), or "sorry Sir, no news as yet", than hear nothing at all.

Completely agree with that.

I've worked in many retail sectors in my time and have found that a common complaint also, bizarely i found that when i worked in a well known games outlet some years ago they were exceptional in this regard although what they are like now i can't say but they were very good at communication.

Every customer that either pre ordered a game or console was kept in the loop at all times with regular updates and even when back catolgue games were ordered the same was true, it's a shame other retailers don't follow this example as it makes for a happy, loyal customer.

I had a spell at a well known electrical retailer for a short time and found alamost all complaints were of two things, it was either poor communication including between stores and customer service departments or aggresive selling of insurance.

The worst thing from my point of view is that in this day and age poor communication is almost inexcusable, with the advent of email, mobile phones, smartphones, tablets etc it's easier than ever before to reach people at any time of day or at least leave a message.

It's not like when i was growing up where you had two methods of communication....a home phone or by post! I've shown my age a little there but it does underline the point i think eh?

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Richer Sounds said:
Hi Oldboy,

Many Thanks

John Clayton

Operations Director

Richer Sounds

John, I ordered a new 50inch Plasma TV a while back and haven't had it yet. I can't remember specifics like where from or anythng like that. If you could arrange for 2 to be dispatched to me forthwith I would be most grateful. No need for any vouchers though - just 2 TVs.

Maybe 3

And a stereo amp

Perhaps some cables?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Oldboy said:
BenLaw,

Many thanks for your input, it has been greatly appreciated.

Hopefully tomorrow will see a final resolution to the issue but if they don't arrive then at least i now have a person to contact at Richers who is familiar with the situation but i have faith that they will turn up as promised.

The issue of stock as i understand it has been down to Panasonic and stock of the specs only started to appear on the net during the week i contacted customer services although some retailers were still showing some stock of the older version which ties in to what i was told by Richers customer services regarding them receiving the shipment.

I was unfortunate in my timing as Panasonic was in the process of introducing it's 3rd generation of specs which were due to ship to retailers during september, speaking of which, i have no idea which version of the specs i'm going to receive but i hope it's the latest version after all the hassle and delays!

Not sure if i will follow your suggestion and send a further email of complaint in the hope of a more substantial gift voucher but i will consider it. Once again very many thanks for the advice.

Best regards,

Nick.

No worries Nick, pleased if I could help in some small way :) Be sure to let us know if tomorrow brings good news :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Lee H said:
Richer Sounds said:
Hi Oldboy,

Many Thanks

John Clayton

Operations Director

Richer Sounds

John, I ordered a new 50inch Plasma TV a while back and haven't had it yet. I can't remember specifics like where from or anythng like that. If you could arrange for 2 to be dispatched to me forthwith I would be most grateful. No need for any vouchers though - just 2 TVs.

Maybe 3

And a stereo amp

Perhaps some cables?

:rofl:

Same here, 'cept mine was a 65" TV

(in for a penny, in for a pound)

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Lee H said:

Maybe 3

And a stereo amp

Perhaps some cables?

I see the man-flu is making you dillusional but while you're on Lee, I ordered 2 free iphone 5's with per second billing, 600 minutes each, unlimited text, unlimited internet to be delivered to my house. Can you chase this up... :)

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Update:

I'm very happy to report that the two pairs of 3D specs have arrived today as promised :bounce: the even better news is that they are the latest 3rd generation, lighter, brighter glasses :grin:

It's been a long wait but at last i can test the 3D capabilities of my equipment and get completely 3D ready at the weekend with a new amp, many thanks to all that posted advice it was very much appreciated.

Very many thanks to John from Richer Sounds for spotting this thread and for getting the issue resolved, again it is much appreciated thank you.

Good news for Richer Sounds too as i have decided to purchase the new Onkyo amp from them at the weekend (if it's in stock of course) despite this issue, i just can't ignore the fact that up untill this they have been excellent so i'm just hoping it was a blip that won't be repeated...fingers crossed.

Now have those glasses charged yet i wonder? Time to watch Avatar in 3D for the first time i feel, followed by Thor and Tron Legacy...i just hope the wait was worth it.

Best regards and many thanks to all again,

Nick.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts