RF remotes - how well do they work?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Afternoon all,

I'm trying to think of ways to get my AV kit out of sight, and have been thinking about using an alcove unit just round the corner from the viewing area to hide the boxes, then use a Harmony 895 or similar to communicate with it.

How much internal space would you recommend for an AV cabinet which would ensure sufficient ventilation, and how far in front of the boxes would the IR repeater have to be to work?

Many thanks

TH

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="thr32"]
How much internal space would you recommend for an AV cabinet which would ensure sufficient ventilation, and how far in front of the boxes would the IR repeater have to be to work?[/quote]

First part depends on what you're going to put in the cabinet - some amps run a lot hotter than others, and it might even be worth considering building in a whisper fan or two to keep things cool.

Second part: the repeater doesn't need to be too far in front of the units - and the RF unit for the Harmony takes multiple flashers to ensure even coverage.

A

Anonymous

Brilliant - thank you.

So I guess I just need to make sure there's plenty air in there, and add a fan if necessary.

Thanks

TH

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes: most instruction manuals will give an idea of the clearance required for ventilation, but in a closed cabinet I'd err on the side of generosity, and try to arrange any openings to give a chimney effect, so that cool air is sucked in at the bottom and hot air expelled higher up.

Oh, and try to put the hotter-running components up top, so they don't cook everything above them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts