Review of Demo - Quite disappointing

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi all. From another thread some of you will remember that my CD player (CD6002) had died and needed replacement. I went off to a demo to listen to its nearest equivalent in the range with as close as i could get to my system (Ra-05, RA-10 tested) and B&W 685 speakers. I also wanted to listen to a better CD player with my system and a good mid range option in case of a full upgrade. The Marantz CD6005 went into the trio of RA-10 and 685 and it sounded lovely. As dynamic and powerful as my current home system but with more detail and separation. I heard instruments, mainly around the drums and especially the hi hat and cymbals that i had not heard before. We then swapped the CD player for an audiolab 8200.

This was an even better listen, just as powerful but even more detail and the cost difference was justified. Running out of time there was just enough time to listen to a "dream setup" the audiolab, a Roksan Kandy K2 and the Kef LS50 speakers. What a disappointment. Plain, dull no sense of power, no treble and lacking in bass. In case it was the speakers we put the 685's back on and it still sounded poor.

So it seems i like the Rotel style of amp with the bass and tonal quality from that and the 685's. With this in mind which other amps and speakers should i try in a mid range system to most compliment the audiolab assuming that better can be had than the base Rotel or will the LS50's sing with a better amp? Or indeed will i not get the expected increase in quality without losing the punch that i currently have I'm going for a second demo tomorrow so your thoughts are welcome.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Are they going to be tonally similar to my rotel but produce a better sound? From what i have read on here and in what hifi the Roksan and LS50 were well liked hence a system i thought would work. Glad i demoed. Are there any other speaksers in that range which might suit what i like? I didnt come to Coventry (i live near Wolverhampton) to listen originally as your 8200 was out on demo. Do you know if it is back and do you have the LS50's or equivalents and the naim and marantz available to demo? I've got a day off work tomorrow and could make it over. I'm asuming that a different set of speaks will sound better than the 685's of course.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
shep1968 said:
Are they going to be tonally similar to my rotel but produce a better sound? From what i have read on here and in what hifi the Roksan and LS50 were well liked hence a system i thought would work. Glad i demoed. Are there any other speaksers in that range which might suit what i like? I didnt come to Coventry (i live near Wolverhampton) to listen originally as your 8200 was out on demo. Do you know if it is back and do you have the LS50's or equivalents and the naim and marantz available to demo? I've got a day off work tomorrow and could make it over. I'm asuming that a different set of speaks will sound better than the 685's of course.

It is always best to book a demo in advance, as I can't say whether there are any demos already booked in tomorrow or not (I don't have anything booked in, but the other two guys might). The 8200 should be back with us - best to call to double check.

As you've found, auditioning is the way forward. Recommendations can be used as guidelines, but should never be used as solid facts to buy blind.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
shep1968 said:

It is always best to book a demo in advance, as I can't say whether there are any demos already booked in tomorrow or not (I don't have anything booked in, but the other two guys might). The 8200 should be back with us - best to call to double check.

As you've found, auditioning is the way forward. Recommendations can be used as guidelines, but should never be used as solid facts to buy blind.
When i bought my original set up i demoed in birmingham Derby and Manchester to listen to the combinations that i wanted. I'll give the shop a ring tomorrow and see what is available in terms of a demo. I do plan to buy the cd player almost immediately but want to know what goes with it so i can add to the system over the next few months.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts